Anybody used Uship to ship a motorcycle?

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
I am looking at maybe purchasing/shipping a bike far from my house.I have been getting some ridiculous quotes ,I think someone here said they had used Uship or suggested Uship, I can't remember. Anyway, I have had a response to my posting, it seems a bit like Ebay, which I have never bought anything from, And I am a bit perplexed as to what happens now.

I sent the bidder a bunch of questions, how do I know he is a reliable shipper familiar with moving motorcycles or am I taking my chances?
Is it an acceptable method of doing bizness or what?

Any help or anything from members greatly appreciated thanks...

I am looking at maybe purchasing/shipping a bike far from my house.I have been getting some ridiculous quotes ,I think someone here said they had used Uship or suggested Uship, I can't remember. Anyway, I have had a response to my posting, it seems a bit like Ebay, which I have never bought anything from, And I am a bit perplexed as to what happens now.

I sent the bidder a bunch of questions, how do I know he is a reliable shipper familiar with moving motorcycles or am I taking my chances?
Is it an acceptable method of doing bizness or what?

Any help or anything from members greatly appreciated thanks...

Yep several times..never a problem..

Place your bike location, where it is going to.

Wait for the bids and if you can leave the dates open on both sides by a few days it allows for more to bid on the deal.

Do not take the first few bids..my last bike from Indiana to Southern California cost me $450.00

Do a search through the shippers feed back and see what the problems were if any..

it's like EBAY for shipping however again wait for the first few bids to appear and refuse them for the price being too high unless you are happy with it.

Also make sure you know if the bike will be shipped in a covered trailer/box van etc..

GL:thumbsup:

I used Allied Federal to ship a bike from PA to CA for under $500 last year (MAR 09): bike was strapped onto a pallet, loaded/transported in an enclosed trailer with insurance and delivered to my driveway in under 7 days.

I did NOT consider USHIP because I did not want the lowest bidder to transport the bike. Instead, I went with a reputable shipper with an established record of satisfied customers.

Best of luck.

yes, I have recieved one bid so far but I put the time frame for a week only but I have since changed that time frame and added a picture. So far the person who responded said he would be transporting it in a open pick up truck.

I am a little cautious with that, what will happen when he stops at a motel/hotel overnight? Hr said that it would be tarped up but I dunno...I guess i just wait for some more bids, I guess....

Most shippers would prefer to have their motorcycles transported in an enclosed bike trailer, but that isn’t always possible. So if you are using a box truck, pick up, or anything else here are a few tips to help out with the process.
If you don’t have a ramp, you can use a piece of 2’ x 4’, however, the wider and thicker the better. You will also need two people. It’s always better to have a piece of wood wide enough to walk up with the bike.
Almost everyone will prefer to have their bike standing up during transport, so make sure you have straps to tie the bike into place.
There is almost no reason not to tarp the bike if it’s on the back of a pick up, make sure you have a big enough tarp to cover a large motorcycle.
When you’re out hauling bikes be careful. They can move around pretty easily and get scratched up. The better you treat the bike, the better the customer will treat your feedback and the more business you’ll do!

Seems like anyone with a pickup truck can haul for these people. What does that place do to insure it's using good, responsible people and companies???
To make sure they are insured???
Here in Florida transport companies are not required to insure there cargo, they are held responsible for it, but I would prefer someone who has coverage for his cargo. Most shipper's do a very detailed inspection and getting a signature before loading a bike. Good luck with your shipping :thumbsup:

Terms like "cheapest isn't always the best" come to mind. Hope all goes well:beerchug:

Last edited:
I used Forward Air the one and only time I shipped a bike.

Seems like anyone with a pickup truck can haul for these people. What does that place do to insure it's using good, responsible people and companies???
To make sure they are insured???
Here in Florida transport companies are not required to insure there cargo, they are held responsible for it, but I would prefer someone who has coverage for his cargo. Most shipper's do a very detailed inspection and getting a signature before loading a bike. Good luck with your shipping :thumbsup:

Terms like "cheapest isn't always the best" come to mind. Hope all goes well:beerchug:

It's just like ebay except they ship your purchase or w/e to you. You bring up a good point Busa1166. I'm not sure if there is an insurance policy since Uship.com isn't the shipper per se. It's just the mediator between the shipper and receiver. I've used it twice in the past year and haven't had any problems. In fact, my g/f's 09 250 Ninja was delivered Christmas Day for $300 from Ohio. I also used it this past March for the Busa. I recommend Uship. Make sure and do your research.

Like what kind of research? Uship seems pretty clear no contact between bidder and client. What should I be asking them? I mean, I have asked typical questions,do you know how to tye a bike down,blah,blah, but I am sure I should be asking something I am forgetting that is probably really obvious.

I have used UShip for several cars. As mentioned above, check out their feedback.

Jonny

i used jcmotors. it was like $615 total and that included $9000 worth of insurance, inclosed & palletted. they told me they're a motorcycle shipping business only, but when truck showed up, it was pianos & motorcycles.

My friend had his bike shipped to Germany and when he finally got it out of customs & "inspection" parts were gone. Be careful Schniz. I have no experience in these things so I really cannot help. I do get buyitus however & it can lead me to rationalizing some risks... :whistle:

Its pretty easy to damage a bike if you don't strap it down properly, wrong strap points, bending things, paint/bodywork damage etc. And a tarp flapping even slightly in the wind over a long drive can do serious paint damage, I've seen it first hand. In a trailer or box van etc is the only way to go, and using somebody professional who is insured and knows exactly what they're doing, not some hillbilly with a pickup who decided to make a few bucks off the internet :laugh:

i have a uship bid right now..
moving 2 bikes from NC to CA.. best i got was 750.. he has good feedback..
i am in no rush to get them from there but i dont want the ex wife to have the in her possesion anymore..

so my dates are REAL flexable... i gave like 2 months to get them to me.. but his reviews have him delivering in days... so we will see how it all works out... should be interesting

Well, the Uship thing has been frustrating to say the least. I get a bid, ask some pretty standard questions,the shipper only answers a couple of them, I am never sure when the shipper will pickup , or I ask a question,shipper answers two of the five I asked, I ask again and I don't hear back from them.

Or the bids that come in that expire in 24 hours. There is not enough time to ask the bidder any questions and get an answer back. The price is right but the frustration level is pretty high.

Well, the Uship thing has been frustrating to say the least. I get a bid, ask some pretty standard questions,the shipper only answers a couple of them, I am never sure when the shipper will pickup , or I ask a question,shipper answers two of the five I asked, I ask again and I don't hear back from them.

Or the bids that come in that expire in 24 hours. There is not enough time to ask the bidder any questions and get an answer back. The price is right but the frustration level is pretty high.
I'll stuff your bike in the trunk of my car for a couple hundred bucks plus beer money and gas :beerchug:

Yes i have used Uship :thumbsup: Nice site just gotta be careful who you ship with cause its like ebay

Hey guys,
I know this is a late reply to the thread but i just wanted to give my review of Keyboard Shippers that i just used to ship my bike. I actually booked the shipment through Shipping Masters which was just a middle man(really nice guy though). He gave me 6 options to ship my bike. I chose Option 1. I paid Shipping Masters $70 up front by credit card and Keyboard Shippers contacted me the next day to schedule a pickup. My bike was picked up from Virginia on a Thursday and delivered to Louisiana by Monday. I was thinking it would take a couple weeks but it was only about 5 days. I had to pay the balance of $490 at deliver for a total of $560. Prices vary due to route and gas prices. I was very pleased with the service and would definitely recommend these guys. On another note, I got to see the purple Agusta that was in the first transformers. It was being delivered on the same truck that picked up my bike!

Back