Any Dobie fans out there?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Crappy picture (phone), but does show to scale my cute little puppy on a seven foot standard leather couch...

And only 6-12 months left to grow!!!
SHOCKED.gif

He just went through a 40 pound bag of Nutro Large Breed Puppy food in three weeks, and weighs 61 pounds.

Our female Dobie we had before him was 65 pounds full grown!

He's great, just a big ol clumsy goofball, licks all of us to death and has to mouth us constantly when he's being petted (which is a LOT!) No worries about HIM being "socialized"!! He doesn't "bite", he just has to "taste" us all the time- hope he grows out of that habit, kinda slobbery ya know.
crazy.gif

It's funny Rubb, the Rotts and Dobies are identical twins until you get to body shape, you know any common ancestors in the breeding program??
rock.gif

IMG00099__Medium_.jpg

Rotti's go back a long way bro. Right back as far as the Roman Legion's using them in the conquest of the world at that time.
They pulled the carts,herded the meat(the Romans would travel with live cattle and slaughter them as nessecary), and guarded the soldiers and camp.

Doberman's came along much later,a man made breed,thought to be invented by a German tax collector.Seems he had trouble collecting,and keeping his money once collected.
laugh.gif
So he mixed the awesome Rottwieller and I believe a German shnauzer.
rock.gif

With an ancient gene imbedded for loyalty,trust and guarding abiltities,I think Rottweillers and Dobermans are fantastic creatures.

Dont let him grow too fast Shibumi...thats just my opinion,but have a seriously qualified vet monitor rapid growth closely. Rapid growth can hurt them and cause things like hip displasia down the road. I'm sure you know all about that kind of thing already my friend,so I wont harp on it.

Nice lookin' pup.
muscle.gif
smile.gif
bowdown.gif

Oh the name...DOH. Rottweiller,re-invented,brought back from near extinction by a man in the old German town of...you guessed it, Rottweil. Thats how they ended up as German soldier guard dogs,police dogs etc...eventually funneling over here to N.America which became the breeds downfall. Over breeding,inexperianced owners,etc ruined the breed. They were number 2 in popularity in the US. Thankfully they dropped to 22nd in popularity (last time I looked).

RSD.

(rubbersidedown @ Jul. 05 2007,18:08) Rotti's go back a long way bro. Right back as far as the Roman Legion's using them in the conquest of the world at that time.
They pulled the carts,herded the meat(the Romans would travel with live cattle and slaughter them as nessecary), and guarded the soldiers and camp.

Doberman's came along much later,a man made breed,thought to be invented by a German tax collector.Seems he had trouble collecting,and keeping his money once collected.
laugh.gif
So he mixed the awesome Rottwieller and I believe a German shnauzer.
rock.gif

With an ancient gene imbedded for loyalty,trust and guarding abiltities,I think Rottweillers and Dobermans are fantastic creatures.

Dont let him grow too fast Shibumi...thats just my opinion,but have a seriously qualified vet monitor rapid growth closely. Rapid growth can hurt them and cause things like hip displasia down the road. I'm sure you know all about that kind of thing already my friend,so I wont harp on it.

Nice lookin' pup.
muscle.gif
smile.gif
bowdown.gif
Thanks Rubb!

He has averaged a vet visit every two weeks- we had a long talk about it very early on, it breaks down to two choices- more nutrition than he needs, or less. The problems with less contribute more to structural issues that cannot be addressed, the problems associated with more can be handled with monitoring and care, and may never occur at all.

So we control his environment, take him for walks to build strength gradually, and give him arguably the best nutrition money can buy ($40 /40 lbs at Petco!). He wasn't bred for size, nor did we pick him for it- just a wild throw of the gene pool dice and here he is!

There are actually breeders who have giant Dobies exclusively, breed then for watchdogs and security purposes. They typically live long, happy lives just like their smaller brethren, with about the same incidence of abnormalities. You never know, our nine year old 65 pound dog had hip problems her last year, and died of cancer.

You just love em as long as you get to, and pray they stay healthy!

Can you just imagine him grown, if he goes 130+?? He'll be the size of a flippin Great Dane, with the looks of a Dobie!

I'll be sure to introduce him to all my sixteen year old daughter's boyfriends, and when he sniffs their crotch I'll tell them that's target acquisition for future reference...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(rubbersidedown @ Jul. 05 2007,18:19) Oh the name...DOH. Rottweiller,re-invented,brought back from near extinction by a man in the old German town of...you guessed it, Rottweil. Thats how they ended up as German soldier guard dogs,police dogs etc...eventually funneling over here to N.America which became the breeds downfall. Over breeding,inexperianced owners,etc ruined the breed. They were number 2 in popularity in the US. Thankfully they dropped to 22nd in popularity (last time I looked).

RSD.
What's downgraded in the breed? Health problems?

Because they're certainly magnificent looking animals, big and broad-chested and powerful...

And then there's that mischievous look in their eye...
rock.gif

oh....my bad. I thought ya said doobie....
tounge.gif

(birdaprey @ Jul. 05 2007,22:25) here mine... shes 52 pounds and 9 months old
beerchug.gif
She's beautiful!! And look at the show crop on those ears, my God they look six inches long!!
SHOCKED.gif

52 lbs at 9 months- geez, I'm gonna change mine's name to "Moose", or "Sasquatch"...
tounge.gif

Nice lookin pup!! I had a min Pin that passed away last summer. He thought he was a full grown Dobie. I always told him he has to look in the mirror once in awhile so he remembers hes only 12 pounds soaking wet!! LOL

Post up more pics when you can!! Love them!

Yeah... i have a few....

Here's my personal pupup.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w33.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Donnie373/b5d74c76.pbw" height="480" width="600"></embed>

"X-calibur" is about 2.5 years old and has international champions on both sides.
muscle.gif

he's a good boy.

(Donnie373 @ Jul. 05 2007,23:08) This is My Webpage
Oh man, I am SO jealous! Just surrounded by Dobies!!

What a beautiful group of dogs- I know that is very rewarding work raising such awesome, lovable creatures!

I couldn't do it, it would kill me to let any go and then I would go broke...
laugh.gif

(Donnie373 @ Jul. 05 2007,23:07) Yeah... i have a few....

Here's my personal pupup.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w33.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Donnie373/b5d74c76.pbw" height="480" width="600"></embed>

"X-calibur" is about 2.5 years old and has international champions on both sides.
muscle.gif

he's a good boy.
NOTHING runs like a Doberman- the only thing close to it I've seen is a deer moving at full speed!

Next to Rotts and Pitts that is probably the third most vicious and untrustworthy dog out there.
mad.gif

J/K. I have a Rott and a Pitt. I have always wanted a Doberman as well.

Beautiful pups all of you.
beerchug.gif

(BusaBret @ Jul. 06 2007,07:18) Next to Rotts and Pitts that is probably the third most vicious and untrustworthy dog out there.
mad.gif

J/K. I have a Rott and a Pitt. I have always wanted a Doberman as well.

Beautiful pups all of you.
beerchug.gif
Oh, you were SO about to be charcoal!!!
laugh.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

Yep, all awesome dogs. We don't have a pet, we have a family member with fur. Not to get too sappy, but I told my wife when we lost our girl Dobie to cancer I felt like a part of our family was missing without a Dobie in the house.

pissed.gif

Back