Another zx14 ecu unleashed thread!

Suzuki can easily make the engine bigger and more powerful in the same frame and bodywork and still make it the horsepower king. It is our choice whether to tour with it, drag race it, or take it to land speed events. A new Hayabusa with class-leading horsepower will appeal to everyone and will sell. That said, you will still have customers buying 250 Ninjas . . . but to be "king of the hill" is what they have to do to stay alive.

The advent of this new ZX14 has injected excitement into the open-class field and Kawasaki has obviously decided that the Busa has been king long enough, and thrown down the gauntlet. I'm not so sure about Yamaha, but I fully expect Honda and Suzuki to respond with new superbikes of their own. If it does not happen, then the parade of customers who have been coming through my door looking for bigger motors and turbos and nitrous will continue, and we will keep building what customer's want - the most powerful bike out there. That is the appeal, that is the attraction. It is what keeps our business alive and going strong!:cheerleader:

The appeal and attraction is good for our side of the business yes and I agree. I was saying that about Suzuki as a manufacturer though.

Believe it or not, the Gen 2 is capable of making 220 rwhp with a ported head and cam combination and STOCK pistons . . . as a 1441 it would depend again on the head and cams, but 230+ would not be an issue at all. This is actually what annoys me about Suzuki - many, many independent shops have been doing this for a very long time. It is not secret, and it is not difficult to do. The Busa engine - Gen 1 and Gen 2 - has great potential and IMHO, is still the best platform out there, bar none.

So what is cost involved for porting, polishing and cams as well as another proper dyno tune to get her tweaked right?

The Ecu Unleashed tune file for the new ZX14 will totally derestrict the bike - top speed limiter would be removed, timing retard in the lower gears removed, a more aggressive ignition map across the board, on/off deceleration mapping altered, injector phasing altered, injector "shut down" removed, and the rev limiter raised to 11,500-where the bike is still making power. These are just a few of the things that are done. The result will be more horsepower and a much more responsive bike that will go over 195 mph with stock gearing. As powerful as this bike is in stock form, with this ecu mapping done, the bike becomes an animal . . . and you would definately be looking into a better rear tire, since this thing has a tendency to either spin the tire or wheelie like a beast . . .:whistle:

Very interesting. And you're not kidding about that last part. It feels heavier than a Busa going on a frontstand, but a lot lighter when you twist the throttle. :thumbsup:

Yep it is kinda disgusting.....unless you own one :laugh:

Yes its very nice:thumbsup:,

2000 miles down, and I completely agree. :beerchug:

Straight line speed is not everything on the open road. A road bike should have a good balance of power, speed, and handling. Where is the fun if you can't keep up in the twisties? I have a couple of friends that has gone the route of turbos and extended arms. Sure they beat me on the straights, until we get to first corner. Then I am gone, and they almost never catch up again.

I took a balanced approach to my busa. I did some engine upgrades, and some suspension upgrades. Now I have a bike that can perform well on any type of ride, even on the track.

Flicka- how do you like the gauge cluster?

The thing about the 14R is all the functionality that goes into the screen above the speedo and tach. You need a screen big enough to show all the information the bike is giving you, and I think Kawi did a pretty good job of fitting it all together. It gives you things like outside air temp, coolant temp in degrees, current and average MPG, battery voltage, range on remaining fuel, traction control mode and function, power mode, eco light, and an easy-to-use menu with many options to set everything up. There are no tricks to learn like when you try to set the shift light or clock on the Gen II Busa. It's all very user-friendly.

One thing that I was unsure about at first is the gear indicator. On the Busa, it is more centered and a little larger. On the 14R, it's a bit smaller and off center, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it's not a problem.

I think the Busa and the 14R both fail when it comes to the integrated shift light. The Busa has a nice bright one, but it's too low and out of your line of sight. The 14R places it in the upper right portion of the cluster, but it's just a little orange light that doesn't get your attention. The 14R does have a launch light, which is a plus for drag racers. Nothing like that on a Busa.

Oh, and the whole thing has nice white backlighting instead of the dated orange stuff. That alone makes it look more modern to me.

Is there any particular feature you were wondering about?

Straight line speed is not everything on the open road. A road bike should have a good balance of power, speed, and handling. Where is the fun if you can't keep up in the twisties?

I agree with this. I'm a little confused about the general assumption that the 14R is only about straight-line speed. It handles very well in the mountains, and has the proper suspension and great brakes to back up all the weight and power. If a Busa rider were able to leave a 14R rider behind in the twisties, that would be the fault of the rider, not the bike. They are both great machines, but Kawi really put some effort into details other than horsepower.

I'm sure Suzuki has the experience and know-how to compete, but not so confident about their finances.

I agree with this. I'm a little confused about the general assumption that the 14R is only about straight-line speed. It handles very well in the mountains, and has the proper suspension and great brakes to back up all the weight and power. If a Busa rider were able to leave a 14R rider behind in the twisties, that would be the fault of the rider, not the bike. They are both great machines, but Kawi really put some effort into details other than horsepower.

I'm sure Suzuki has the experience and know-how to compete, but not so confident about their finances.
I have an 06 14 boosted, but the 14R is based on the same monoque(?) frame as the original 14, same dimensions, rake/trail etc. The original 14 can be a great handler, better than my busa overall, the monoque frame makes it feel very narrow, and much lighter on its feet than the busa. But the first gen 14's had MEGA soft suspension that really held them back in the curves. If I wanted to invest in better suspension, my 14 would be the better handling bike. But to be honest I like the plush ride....I have my busa for the curves :thumbsup:

Kawi learned and gave the new 14R the suspension the original should have had :thumbsup: Most all the parts will swap from new to old, including the engine, just like the first and second gen busa. You can even run original 14 full exhausts on the 14R, Brock was doing it before he built a 14R specific exhaust. Lots of guys have just swapped everything over from their original 14 to the new one.

I have an 06 14 boosted, but the 14R is based on the same monoque(?) frame as the original 14, same dimensions, rake/trail etc. The original 14 can be a great handler, better than my busa overall, the monoque frame makes it feel very narrow, and much lighter on its feet than the busa. But the first gen 14's had MEGA soft suspension that really held them back in the curves. If I wanted to invest in better suspension, my 14 would be the better handling bike. But to be honest I like the plush ride....I have my busa for the curves :thumbsup:

Kawi learned and gave the new 14R the suspension the original should have had :thumbsup: Most all the parts will swap from new to old, including the engine, just like the first and second gen busa. You can even run original 14 full exhausts on the 14R, Brock was doing it before he built a 14R specific exhaust. Lots of guys have just swapped everything over from their original 14 to the new one.

So I could potentially put a gen II engine in my Gen 1, port and polish the heads, and throw down 220hp??? That sounds like I'd be doing a lot of this :moon: to my buddy with his brand new 14. This could get interesting

So I could potentially put a gen II engine in my Gen 1, port and polish the heads, and throw down 220hp??? That sounds like I'd be doing a lot of this :moon: to my buddy with his brand new 14. This could get interesting

Best mod you can do to your gen1

Ive got a gen 1 14 that I put a gen 2 motor in. Had to tap the other side of the head for the cam sensor. Its a nice bracket bike. It makes a great deal of torque and the power is right there. Unlike my built 1441s which need to wind a bit for the cam and extensive port work to get movin.

Back