Another reason to wear the gear

(dadofthree @ Jun. 11 2007,20:12)
lurk.gif
Wear gear, got on my buddy with the Green Kawi for riding without his helmet to meet me yesterday before our ride. He complained of the heat and I think I responded, better hot than dead.

Another local. 21 year old bought a Busa this spring. I jumped him about gear. Within a week with 1800 miles on his black '07 he broke his back. Helmet saved his life. If he had had a jacket like my alter ego on, he may have escaped injury. Staples from neck to crack and around his side where he stated the removed a rib.

Wrote a fifteen year old four tickets the other night, only because I ran out of tickets. No helmet, shorts, knit shirt, tennis shoes. No registration, no insurance, beginners permit only  
SHOCKED.gif
... It's never TOO hot for a helmet. I can't understand anyone who'd NOT wear a lid while riding!!!! That's just absurd!!!!

(Apex @ Jun. 11 2007,20:15) my 17 year old went down today on a bicycle and got rashed up pretty good, I was looking to get him a MC but that made me think twice.
Hey, I crashed my bmx freestyle bike hard many times... even had a concussion and broke my right arm. My parents never made me quit riding.

... do don't MAKE your son stop. Just a suggestion........

Let him do his thing. Hell, you're riding the fastest bike on earth, right?

lol!!!

(dadofthree @ Jun. 11 2007,18:12)
lurk.gif
Wear gear, got on my buddy with the Green Kawi for riding without his helmet to meet me yesterday before our ride. He complained of the heat and I think I responded, better hot than dead.

Another local. 21 year old bought a Busa this spring. I jumped him about gear. Within a week with 1800 miles on his black '07 he broke his back. Helmet saved his life. If he had had a jacket like my alter ego on, he may have escaped injury. Staples from neck to crack and around his side where he stated the removed a rib.

Wrote a fifteen year old four tickets the other night, only because I ran out of tickets. No helmet, shorts, knit shirt, tennis shoes. No registration, no insurance, beginners permit only  
SHOCKED.gif
I have a similar response to guys at work who don't want to wear their vests because it's too hot and uncomfortable. It's better than being shot in the chest.

I always tell people as we talk, "Reach down right now and just drag your fingertips on the sidewalk or the asphalt. Then imagine that times one thousand."

Food for thought. Makes it real for 'em.

--Wag--

This morning at work my boss was checking out my new summer jacket and ask how it was in the heat.[HARLEY rider]While at the same time a guy I work with was making fun of us for wanting to wear gear[including helmet].He actually thinks he's too good to need it.He was complaining earier that it was gonna be 92 saturday,cause he had a charity ride to go on.Said he was gonna wear shorts and a tee shirt.I said I'll be out saturday,with gear.
 To shut him up I told him he didn't have to be so threatened cause I was smarter than him.Nobody is that good.Some people just don't get it.
  His comments was on me hard this morning cause I was on my VTX,not my busa.

Nasty spill for sure. Why is that when we (riders) do something we know is not advised (ride squid) and eat poop doing, we wake up from the hospital and sell our bikes? Its not the bikes fault. Maybe that is the ultimate demonstration of self-control and maturity...knowing your going to ride squid again so to save yourself, you sell them away?

Dayum!

Glad I'm stubborn about wearing the gear! This reminds me, I need new gloves... w/ kevlar as well as some new riding boots.

(CAT3 @ Jun. 12 2007,08:02) Nasty spill for sure.   Why is that when we (riders) do something we know is not advised (ride squid) and eat poop doing, we wake up from the hospital and sell our bikes?  Its not the bikes fault.  Maybe that is the ultimate demonstration of self-control and maturity...knowing your going to ride squid again so to save yourself, you sell them away?
Interesting question.

I will say I did the same thing with cigarettes. I got dysplasia, and after they cut a slice from the underside of my tongue I chucked them from a sheer pain reaction.

Most people sell their bikes (IMHO) because there is something to be said about restraint. In fact in this month's sportsbike sales mag, they made a comment about the R1, and about how it was almost "too fast". At the end of the article a comment was made to the effect of: "The best option that you could add to the R1 is not available at the store and is a rare accessory for sportbike riders... restraint. With a superior machine like the R1 designed for advanced riders, more people will find that a bit of restraint will do them a lot of good."

To me most accidents occur because we exceeded something, or denied something simple. Exceeded speed, exceeded skill level (taking the Dragon at excessive speed falls under this), or not wearing gear.

So most people sell their bikes because at the time they are in the situation, they realize that their accidents were (most likely) caused by a lack of restraint in some form. Most of the guys that I know who were not at fault in the accident, just bought another one after they healed.

Not our bikes fault, but riding to me is a risk/reward scenario where the risks are infinately larger than the rewards. Example: no hemet/dead, no jacket/rash, no jeans/pipe burns or rash, excessive speed/dead, broken, or something else. We buy the bikes to go fast, and when respected they treat us with equal respect. Disrespect is the way of pain and death in our entertainment venue.

Okay, gear, and more gear. Wonder why we all don't get this.

Some must just like the pain of going through all that which comes along with not wearing gear. I know we are good riders, but the question is how good of driver is that person next to you on the freeway, do they take care of there tires or are they bald as heck and ready to blow out at any second?
Will that second be when your going by? If so your going to wish you had your gear on it will happen in a blur and the next thing you know your on the pavement.

Gear save you

I'll second this it just shows just how important gear is !!! I get alot of heat from fellow riders about riding in my gear in the heat of summer but you just gave me all the reassurance i'll ever need !!! Thanks Alot
beerchug.gif

(00Negative @ Jun. 12 2007,08:15) Dayum!

Glad I'm stubborn about wearing the gear!  This reminds me, I need new gloves... w/ kevlar as well as some new riding boots.
I just did some gear reviews for gloves and boots last week. check em out.

Good stuff, reasonable price.

(dadofthree @ Jun. 11 2007,18:12)
lurk.gif

SHOCKED.gif
Good job. Maybe it will make him think a little. You may haved saved his life if he listened to you.

I went couple of fridays ago. Always full gear, low-sided, didn't have my pucks cause I didn't think I would be playing that hard,opps. Bike $2700, me 0. Not even a red mark. Love my gear.

Hey Rubb, how about a pin for the link under "Riding Gear" for skeptics?
rock.gif
smile.gif

Maybe with a warning...
puke.gif

I like riding with gear on. Makes me feel like a racer or more of a rider, i don't know, but it also makes me feel I can ride a litter harder.

It's almost summer, not quite yet, but here in Florida its 99 degrees in the panhandle, not miami.

I have been riding around lately with helmet, gloves and boots or shoes. No jacket, no leg armor. It's hot. Dangerously hot. If you stayed out 1 hour with no fluids you would surely pass out or get dehydrated.

Riding feels like a hair dryer is on you. Someone know of a good summer armor from head to toe? If not someone needs to come out with one.

Riding with no jacket or leg protection makes me ride even more safe and watch out even more. Had close calls but thankfully I was quick to react. Horns on bikes should be louder and any type of exhaust should be allowed on motorcycles. Well a good loud enough one that lets everyone know there is a bike around.

I am so glad I forked over the $$$ for exhausts, they are well worth it, not only from a performance perspective but safety as well. Alot less people cut you off and they seem to notice you more.

(busabutter @ Jun. 12 2007,21:51) I like riding with gear on. Makes me feel like a racer or more of a rider, i don't know, but it also makes me feel I can ride a litter harder.

It's almost summer, not quite yet, but here in Florida its 99 degrees in the panhandle, not miami.

I have been riding around lately with helmet, gloves and boots or shoes. No jacket, no leg armor. It's hot. Dangerously hot. If you stayed out 1 hour with no fluids you would surely pass out or get dehydrated.

Riding feels like a hair dryer is on you. Someone know of a good summer armor from head to toe? If not someone needs to come out with one.

Riding with no jacket or leg protection makes me ride even more safe and watch out even more. Had close calls but thankfully I was quick to react. Horns on bikes should be louder and any type of exhaust should be allowed on motorcycles. Well a good loud enough one that lets everyone know there is a bike around.
Try the Joe Rocket mesh jackets and pants, Like the Rio or Phoenix- feels just like wearing a t-shirt when in motion, wind blows right through! Good protection and padding in as well.

I just bought the Sahara cooling vest, soak it in water before wearing under a mesh jacket, evaporative cooling air conditioning! If that's not good enough, you can put the soaked vest in a plastic bag in the fridge for a couple hours before riding! Talk about freezing your teats off...
laugh.gif

Back