America Is a Democracy?

America Is a Democracy? - Do you Believe it?

• True

Votes: 56 100.0%

• Total voters
Be careful how far you open your mind, you may let all the smart stuff fall out.
Now, I have to say that statement is just plain ridiculous.
rock.gif
Maybe I don't understand since I'm just an ignorant old man living in the dark ages who loves his God and his Country, but that reponse seems a little close minded.

As an Englishman who feels privileged to live in this country, I have to say it is time you all slapped yourselves on the back. No, it is not a democracy, it is a meritocracy...but it is close as anyone has come. Are the races equal here? No...but you've come a bloody long way and you absorb different cultures and religions better than anyone on the planet!

I have achieved things here I could NEVER have dreamed of had I stayed in England. You're not perfect, and there is much work left to do, but you're still working at it.

THAT's the difference!

The United States is a Constitutional Republic. There is a difference and I'm gald that we aren't a democracy.

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.
Nice job cutting and pasting from Wikipedia, which I might add has absolutely NO oversight
whatsoever........hence it's always 1 of the top 5 Google search results.
whistling.gif

I think the first post opening this thread summed it up accurately.

The Constitutional argument holds absolutely ZERO water in this debate because there
are SOOOO many amendments and laws in power today that totally and inexplicably go
AGAINST the very Constitution that is supposed to be the basis of this nations law.

Double Taxations, Income Taxes, I can name about a 100 things that are unconstitutional.

OH.....almost forgot....FREE TRADE agreements override the constitutional power limitations
once signed and give away our sovereignity. You know....like gasoline taxes which are supposed
to pay for roads, yet we have toll roads in addition, where does that money go?? Why....to
supplement the PEOPLE's roads right??? Well then why are they leasing OUR roads to foreign
nations for 99 year leases for up front fee's and whom NOW collect all our toll fees.
Don't believe me?? Indiana sold it's WHOLE tollway to foreign interests, and Mayor Daley
of Chicago did the same to the Chicago Skyway.

http://signsofchaos.blogspot.com/2006....ad.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....75.html

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Now, they are considering selling or leasing some of the best-known and most-traveled routes across America.
The trend started 1 1/2 years ago, when Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley (D) pushed through a 99-year lease of the Chicago Skyway, nearly eight miles of elevated highway across the South Side, for $1.8 billion.[/quote]

Since when do these jerkoffs have the right to privatize the roads the PEOPLE of the states
paid for in tax monies
rock.gif
Who gave them the right???

Regarding your first quote it's the limited supply factor in the supply and demand ratio that is driving the prices up not so much an increase in demand although that rises as well. Other problem is our government won't allow US Oil to drill for more of our own oil out of fear of backlash from the media and GREEN lovers. US Oil only controls 2% of the world's oil SUPPLY.
Supply and Demand is only a smaller portion of this scenario then many realize.
He is right about how the Media is playing propaganda on this as well.

Everyone here KNOWS or should know by now that the world market is backed by the USD.
Everyone ALSO should know by now that the USD is declining in value. Common sense
dictates that if that happens PRICES of all commodities go up outside the USA.
The Euro is now worth 2x the USD, so in essence it shows the decline of OUR money
which means yes, prices go up because our USD is worth ALOT less then it once did.
Prices WOULD probably be around $70 a barrel still without this problem compiling
the issue.

The first people to try and stop accepting the USD as the backing for pricing their oil
was ....none other then Saddam Hussein in 2000......shortly thereafter we claimed
he had WMD's and ties to Al Qaeda, total bullshit but they fooled the American people
into believing the story HOT on the heels of emotion from 9-11

NOW fast forward to 2007, guess who else is a HUGE supplier of oil to us that just
NOW as of Dec 2007 stopped accepting USD as the backing for their oil instead to use
the Euro
rock.gif
Iran.

Starting to piece the puzzle together now??? The Iranian Oil Bourse
FAMILIARIZE yourself with this phrase, it's the brunt truth of why you see Iran in
the news about possibly having nuclear capabilities and all this other bullshit.

The US Oil Market CONTROLS the guiding interests of the military industrial complex
which receives over 50% of the #1 superpowers budget annually. Use your heads people.
This isn't a joke. http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CLA410A.html

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
The Iranians are about to commit an "offense" far greater than Saddam Hussein's conversion to the euro of Iraq's oil exports in the fall of 2000. Numerous articles have revealed Pentagon planning for operations against Iran as early as 2005. While the publicly stated reasons will be over Iran's nuclear ambitions, there are unspoken macroeconomic drivers explaining the Real Reasons regarding the 2nd stage of petrodollar warfare - Iran's upcoming euro-based oil Bourse.[/quote]

This is historically how the US gets what it wants. First it attempts politicking.
If that fails, they attempt a Coup, if that fails (Chavez, Castro, etc) It blackballs a nation
garners support for the cause, and invades, and "liberates" is the term they call it.
We've been doing this since the early 1900's when Colombia wouldn't allow the US
access to the Panama canal so what did we do
rock.gif
We convinced Panama to segregate
and we'd help them attain independance if they gave us access to the Canal.

That's just how our Imperialistic nation operates, but many haven't realized that yet.
Telecommunications and the Media is the Nazi wave of propaganda and control people.
Without it you can't unite a strike or take on anyone, they realized this decades ago.
The Media, you control what opinionated news comes out, and you control the opinions
of your people.

I have a Polish man I work with who explained to me how bad the US news is for reporting
TRUE events internationally speaking......they change the news to fit THEIR program.
FAUX NEWS.....that's primarily the one we speak of and I'm a core value Republican too BTW.
No longer though.....now I consider myself an Independent.

rock.gif

I was hoping someone would pull some arguments out so that I could counter-argue with these points Aceshigh states.
bowdown.gif

Now we are just going in circles.
boxing.gif
You are the one wanting the Govermnent to lighten up so we can be enlightened and have free thought. I'm having trouble understanding your definition of that. It seems that free thought only applies to you and those who back what you are saying.

Aceshigh @ May 29 2008 @ 3:28 AM said:
The United States is a Constitutional Republic.  There is a difference and I'm gald that we aren't a democracy.

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.
Nice job cutting and pasting from Wikipedia, which I might add has absolutely NO oversight
[/quote]

Its called a definition.  It seems that some people are confused about what type of Government that they live in.

The Constitutional argument holds absolutely ZERO water in this debate because there
are SOOOO many amendments and laws in power today that totally and inexplicably go
AGAINST the very Constitution that is supposed to be the basis of this nations law.

Ummm.  Whether perfect or flawed, the Constitution is the foundation of evey law in this Country.  It is the job of the Supreme Court to rule whether a law or an amendment is Constitutional or not.  Any laws on the books that are unconstitutional remain there because nobody thought it was important enough to challenge in the courts.

OH.....almost forgot....FREE TRADE agreements override the constitutional power limitations
once signed and give away our sovereignity.
Here, I have to agree with you.  Any politician that goes into an agreement with another country and gives away our rights as a sovereign nation or any Justice that uses international cases to decide whether something is Constitutional need to be impeached.

It's easy to type all of this in a forum. But, what action are you taking to fix what you view as broken?

Regarding your first quote it's the limited supply factor in the supply and demand ratio that is driving the prices up not so much an increase in demand although that rises as well.  Other problem is our government won't allow US Oil to drill for more of our own oil out of fear of backlash from the media and GREEN lovers.  US Oil only controls 2% of the world's oil SUPPLY.
Supply and Demand is only a smaller portion of this scenario then many realize.
He is right about how the Media is playing propaganda on this as well.

Everyone here KNOWS or should know by now that the world market is backed by the USD.
Everyone ALSO should know by now that the USD is declining in value. Common sense
dictates that if that happens PRICES of all commodities go up outside the USA.
The Euro is now worth 2x the USD, so in essence it shows the decline of OUR money
which means yes, prices go up because our USD is worth ALOT less then it once did.
Prices WOULD probably be around $70 a barrel still without this problem compiling
the issue.

The first people to try and stop accepting the USD as the backing for pricing their oil
was ....none other then Saddam Hussein in 2000......shortly thereafter we claimed
he had WMD's and ties to Al Qaeda, total bullshit but they fooled the American people
into believing the story HOT on the heels of emotion from 9-11

NOW fast forward to 2007, guess who else is a HUGE supplier of oil to us that just
NOW as of Dec 2007 stopped accepting USD as the backing for their oil instead to use
the Euro
rock.gif
Iran.

Starting to piece the puzzle together now??? The Iranian Oil Bourse
FAMILIARIZE yourself with this phrase, it's the brunt truth of why you see Iran in
the news about possibly having nuclear capabilities and all this other bullshit.

The US Oil Market CONTROLS the guiding interests of the military industrial complex
which receives over 50% of the #1 superpowers budget annually. Use your heads people.
This isn't a joke. http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CLA410A.html

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
The Iranians are about to commit an "offense" far greater than Saddam Hussein's conversion to the euro of Iraq's oil exports in the fall of 2000. Numerous articles have revealed Pentagon planning for operations against Iran as early as 2005. While the publicly stated reasons will be over Iran's nuclear ambitions, there are unspoken macroeconomic drivers explaining the Real Reasons regarding the 2nd stage of petrodollar warfare - Iran's upcoming euro-based oil Bourse.[/quote]

This is historically how the US gets what it wants. First it attempts politicking.
If that fails, they attempt a Coup, if that fails (Chavez, Castro, etc) It blackballs a nation
garners support for the cause, and invades, and "liberates" is the term they call it.
We've been doing this since the early 1900's when Colombia wouldn't allow the US
access to the Panama canal so what did we do
rock.gif
We convinced Panama to segregate
and we'd help them attain independance if they gave us access to the Canal.

That's just how our Imperialistic nation operates, but many haven't realized that yet.
Telecommunications and the Media is the Nazi wave of propaganda and control people.
Without it you can't unite a strike or take on anyone, they realized this decades ago.
The Media, you control what opinionated news comes out, and you control the opinions
of your people.

I have a Polish man I work with who explained to me how bad the US news is for reporting
TRUE events internationally speaking......they change the news to fit THEIR program.
FAUX NEWS.....that's primarily the one we speak of and I'm a core value Republican too BTW.
No longer though.....now I consider myself an Independent.[/quote]
Awesome post! Good to see someone around here that has a clue as to what is going on.
thumb_up.gif
clap.gif
bowdown.gif

rock.gif

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
300Busa @ May 26 2008 said:
1431467[/ATTACH] AM]
lurk.gif
We are in the Greatest County in the World!
How you know that for sure?
I've traveled abroad and can say I'd rather live here than any of the other places I've been. I haven't been everywhere, so I can't say from first hand evperience that there is no place better. It also seems that there are far more people wanting to come to the US to live than there are US citizens wanting to leave to live in another country. But if you don't believe it, why aren't you living in that better place?

zzwhip.gif

Our government has TOO much control over us. They pretty much control everything we do in our day to day lives. They have put our service men and women in a bad situation. We can't even get our own country under control. How are we supposed to get someone else's country in reign? And I know people are tired of hearing about gas prices, but right now, that is what is killing our economy. The gas companies are talking about the demand has gone up...well, it hasn't gone up NEARLY as fast as the prices have. And look at the taxes our government has put on the gas. They don't want us to drive. They want us to go to work (so we can pay taxes), then go home, and then start all over again. They have us right where they want us. They (our government) are control freaks. They do not represent us, they dictate us. The U.S. is going down hill in a fast way. I support our troops, but I want them home before anymore lives are lost for nothing. The middle east has been fighting for thousands of years, and there isn't anything that we can do to stop them.
People can't even afford gas to get to and from work....that is a serious issue and our great government needs to do something about it! People are starving and losing thier homes for crying out loud. Crime is really started going up, and people are going to start taking the law into their own hands. Remember the movie MAD MAX?, well, that scenario isn't too far off!!
A couple of points:

1. Gas demand HAS gone up. It's not just about us. It's about the world. Chinese demand for oil has risen in a HUGE way over the last few years. It used to be that only the U.S. had the power to influence the oil suppliers but now, if OPEC decides they don't like us, they'll sell to someone else.

2. Believing we are headed for Mad Max scenarios is a bit fatalistic but I see your point. I just think there is plenty of room for believing we can do something about it.

Keep your hopes up and look for opportunities to reverse the negative trends we're seeing.

--Wag--

My stupid bike keeps surging ever now and then. At lights the idle will be fine then all of a sudden it decides to dip real low and die unless I rev it a little then its fine
winkold.gif
I vote you synch your throttled bodies. While you're at it, make sure all of your vacuum lines are connected properly.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

There is no pure, ideal government in the world. It is run my man, and by definition that makes it flawed. This is a functioning Contitutional Republic. Case in point, it is a small minority that wants to drive God out of this country. In a democracy, those people would be told to shut up or get out. In this republic, the minority is able to overcome the will of the masses and are being very successful at erasing the moral foundation on which this country was founded. Be careful how far you open your mind, you may let all the smart stuff fall out.
You are absolutely right. The majority could change things dramatically.

Case in point: There are millions of gun owners in the country who could do something about the constant erosion of our gun rights. However, most of them would prefer to sit on their asses in front of their T.V.'s rather than do something about it. Anything. Even joining the reprobate NRA would be better than nothing but nooooooo. The won't do it.

Oh, they complain all right. But they'd rather sit around and watch the liberal populace take away their freedoms in this regard.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Dennis, you're right. People in the majority, by doing nothing, are allowing their beliefs to be compromised. The majority is impotent.

--Wag--

In a true Demoracy we would be able to recall politicians before thier term is up that don't hit the mark.

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
300Busa @ May 26 2008 said:
1431924[/ATTACH] AM]
lurk.gif
We are in the Greatest County in the World!
How you know that for sure?
I've traveled abroad and can say I'd rather live here than any of the other places I've been. I haven't been everywhere, so I can't say from first hand evperience that there is no place better. It also seems that there are far more people wanting to come to the US to live than there are US citizens wanting to leave to live in another country. But if you don't believe it, why aren't you living in that better place?
Hmmmm... you are not 300busa, why are you answered that rhetorical question for him?
whistling.gif

zzwhip.gif

A couple of points:

1. Gas demand HAS gone up. It's not just about us. It's about the world. Chinese demand for oil has risen in a HUGE way over the last few years. It used to be that only the U.S. had the power to influence the oil suppliers but now, if OPEC decides they don't like us, they'll sell to someone else.
And how you know this? Ohhh they said so on TV....

Dude, go to internet, not to whatever.com based in good `ol US of A but international sites.

Gas prices is goverment regulated in most countries and they MUST be regulated here as well.

Our government allows market speculators play with it.

Here is gas prices in China today, in US gallons. guess where the difference going to...

CHINA TIANJIN $1.54
CHINA SHANGHAI $1.48

Back