My review of the movie 300

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
All I can say is WOW!!!!

This is one of the best movies I have seen.. for numerous reasons..

Primarily for historical reasons..

My sons and I have been waiting to see the movie for the last 6 months ever since we saw the first trailer. just looked like a cool movie, right up our ally as far as action flicks go.

However what REALY made the movie awesome for me was I started to hear that it was based on factual events that happened in Greece around 480BC

I started to do some research and found information on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

So before I even went to see the movie this last weekend I read all the information on the battle of Thermopylae.

Reading about it I discoverd a new hero in my life and have obtained a great respect for Greece. And have learned somethings that either I had never learned or might have learned in school and have forgot.

The movie itself as far as I am concerned not only followed what is historically actual events (mixed in with speculation to try and fill in gaps) but also awesome action scenes.

To watch the movie by itself with no previous knowledge of the historical events is one thing, and I feel holds its own as a good action flick and I would have enjoyed it anyway.

But reading the historical account of this documented battle in our planets history, and watching it unfold on the screen with probably 95% accuracy in relation to actual historical events, it just brought the movie to another level for me.

And then, to top it off. On Saturday the history channel had about a 2 hour documentary on the battle of Thermopylae.

So I read the Wikipedia information first, watched the movie, then watched the history channel. All three just gave me such an awesome respect for Sparta, for Athens and the Greeks in general. I also learned by watching the history channel that Greece was the birth place of democracy and that our western democracy stems from the democracy that matured in Greece.

I also learned that all in all, that the last stand of the 300 was so significant that if it wasn’t for this battle, and for King Leonidas, democracy as we know it may never have had a chance to grow and might have been crushed then and there forever…

Plus it was one of the few movies where people in the Audience actually clapped at different parts..

So in my book and for my kids, I rate it at least a 9 out of 10. maybe even a 10 out of 10

cool, thanks for the info.

beenwanting to see this movie myself.

Thanks for the review and the link....

I don't go to many movies, but I think this one is a must see on the big screen.............

Thanks
cool.gif

That's what happens when your fighting for meer survival ! Wish more people here understood that  
sad.gif
 . But I understand their concern, American Idol is much more important  
SHOCKED.gif

Matter of fact, between the movie, Wikipedia and what I saw on the history channel (I didnt get to see all of it) I went to the history channels web site and I am ordering two DVD's the one that I saw parts of, then another one I did not see but has to do with Thermopylae

The two DVD's from The History Channel
in case anyone is interested are:

77211 Last Stand of the 300 DVD

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=77211

72982 Thermopylae DVD

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=72982

i seen the history channels show. i thought it was excellent.
it was an amazing feat.

I was told that in Greece, they are still so proud of this one battle, that kids take a compulsory yearlong course devoted to it.

Don't know if that's BS or not, can anyone confirm?

(thrasherfox @ Mar. 12 2007,15:20) Matter of fact, between the movie, Wikipedia and what I saw on the history channel (I didnt get to see all of it) I went to the history channels web site and I am ordering two DVD's the one that I saw parts of, then another one I did not see but has to do with Thermopylae

The two DVD's in case anyone is interested are:

77211 Last Stand of the 300 DVD

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=77211

72982 Thermopylae DVD

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=72982
I can't wait till it comes back on TV. I would order them, but I'm saving my money for a dyno tune at Deals Gap...

As for the Movie? LOVED it. Once it comes out on DVD, it WILL be added to my collection. One of the BEST movies I've seen in a long time.

I agree Thrasher, my son and I loved it as well. He told me this is one movie he definitely wants to buy when it comes out on dvd.

I knew he history behind the movie which does make it a better movie since it did actually happen.

As I said, teenagers will eat up 300... because it's very light on intelligence and heavy with the motivational speeches and action.

I liked the movie and recommend it to anyone who likes action, but I am not raving about the movie at all. I wasn't blown away like I was hoping for. It's miles behind Braveheart and Gladiator... and wasn't nearly as good as Sin City (to compare it to another Frank Miller adaptation).

(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 12 2007,18:02) As I said, teenagers will eat up 300... because it's very light on intelligence and heavy with the motivational speeches and action.

I liked the movie and recommend it to anyone who likes action, but I am not raving about the movie at all. I wasn't blown away like I was hoping for. It's miles behind Braveheart and Gladiator... and wasn't nearly as good as Sin City (to compare it to another Frank Miller adaptation).
See, I'm kinda a flip on that. I loved Braveheart and Gladiator, but Sin City was kinda dumb compared to 300. I liked Sin City, but it wasn't NEAR as good....

(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 12 2007,15:02) As I said, teenagers will eat up 300... because it's very light on intelligence and heavy with the motivational speeches and action.

hey Pan. I specifically stayed out of your thread about 300 because I didnt want to be rude to your thread and insult you.

Kind of wish you would have showed me the same courtesy.

(thrasherfox @ Mar. 12 2007,17:11)
(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 12 2007,15:02) As I said, teenagers will eat up 300... because it's very light on intelligence and heavy with the motivational speeches and action.

hey Pan. I specifically stayed out of your thread about 300 because I didnt want to be rude to your thread and insult you.

Kind of wish you would have showed me the same courtesy.
I never asked you or anybody to stay out of the thread I made. And why would I have been insulted? It's just a movie and everyone has the right to say what they want about it. I'm also not a mind reader... so how in the hell was I supposed to know that you specifically didn't want me to drop a post in here?

And I did show you some courtesy... by not tossing up a "repost" joke. I am not a jerk and I know you wanted your very own 300 thread, so I didn't do that.

I'll just stay out of any thread you start...

Sorry.

Well Gee Pan.. I start a thread stating how much I really enjoyed the movie, how I thought it was really good from a historical point of view and i rated it a 9 or 10 out of 10

And then you respond with:

"As I said, teenagers will eat up 300... because it's very light on intelligence and heavy with the motivational speeches and action"

Gee.. wonder why I took it as an insult?

(thrasherfox @ Mar. 12 2007,19:07)
(yamahor @ Mar. 12 2007,16:02)
lurk.gif
YOU!!! YOU WITH THE POPCORN!!!

Want to see what negative 5000 post count feels like!!!!

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

smileyexhibit.gif
What? I was merely demonstrating what I was doing while watching the best movie I've seen in ages...

What did you think the popcorn was for?
poke.gif
lurk.gif

lurk.gif

(yamahor @ Mar. 12 2007,16:09)
(thrasherfox @ Mar. 12 2007,19:07)
(yamahor @ Mar. 12 2007,16:02)
lurk.gif
YOU!!! YOU WITH THE POPCORN!!!

Want to see what negative 5000 post count feels like!!!!

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

smileyexhibit.gif
What? I was merely demonstrating what I was doing while watching the best movie I've seen in ages...

What did you think the popcorn was for?
poke.gif
lurk.gif
LOL...

Check your PM's

Then bite me!!!

lurk.gif

Back