Almost time for a new rear tire

bsrigley

Registered
I'm getting close to the 3k mile mark and it looks like I'm soon to be in the market for a new rear tire.  

Qs:
1. Is 3000 miles normal or have I been too hard on the throttle/brakes?
2. Should I just go with another Bridgestone to keep the two tires matched and maybe think about switching brands when the next rear wears out and I replace both front and rear?
3. My dealer quoted me $190 for the rear Bridgestone + 40 for mount and balance.  Is that in line?
4.  Does anyone know of any on-line sources for cheaper tires?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

3000 to 3500 I think is about average depending on how you ride.

I just mounted a pilot road, I do not have any reveiws yet because I only have a couple of hundred miles.
I got it shipped to my door for $122.36 (Thank the Lord) in three days from
Discountmotorcycletire.com
They also have all the other major brands as well.

My local shop only charged $10 to mount and balance??? (The wheel was off of the bike) I would rather not carry the bike and leave it with anyone.

Just my .02

You don't need to worry about matching front and rear unless you do some aggressive riding. And in that case you'd probably want to goto a stickier tire. Otherwise you could just replace only the rear. Depends on your riding and cash available. Look around for better deals.

Ben,

I got just over 2,500 out of mine... So, I think you are doing good. Of course I wasn't down to the threads when I swapped it.

I got the OEM tire, since the front will last another rear. Then, I am planning to switch to another brand. Haven't decided yet... But, prolly an M1 or Pilot.

See ya, V.

That price is way out of line.

There are others but I have dealt with these guys and been happy everytime.

www.kneedraggers.com
I a very fond of Pilot sports, can't wait to get a set on the bus.

Metzler M1's always get good reviews too!!!!

Edit.
Oops I just saw that 190 was mounted and balanced. Still a little high though.

Another note, I am new to hayabusa's so I am not 100% on this, but chucking that 190 rear tire for a 180 makes a HUGE difference in handling, there are also some 190 55 tires out now, that are supposed to have the same profile as a 180.(run on sentence)

Thanks all for the tips.
I found an OEM tire for $142 from Motorcycle Specialties to my door.  I think I'll just stick with the  'stones for this first batch and then look at switching brands when I order the pair next time.

BTW: I just installed a TRE today...WHOAA.  It definitely makes a difference.  I didn't like the erratic throttle behavior and this helps.  Not into the monster wheelies or anything, but I did launch this afternoon from a light and it felt great!  I was stretched out over the gas tank with the front wheel a consistent 6" off the ground through first and brought it right back up when I hit second.  I had to let off though 'cause I was near my house in a 55 zone and I know I was pushing 90.

I'm getting close to the 3k mile mark and it looks like I'm soon to be in the market for a new rear tire.  

Qs:
1. Is 3000 miles normal or have I been too hard on the throttle/brakes?
2. Should I just go with another Bridgestone to keep the two tires matched and maybe think about switching brands when the next rear wears out and I replace both front and rear?
3. My dealer quoted me $190 for the rear Bridgestone + 40 for mount and balance.  Is that in line?
4.  Does anyone know of any on-line sources for cheaper tires?

Thanks in advance,
Ben
dunlops all the way, ck out this thread:

i personally like dunlops, but everyone has their fav
smile.gif
I had to replace the stocks after 3500mi and i dont really ride hard.

your dealer seems high on the tire price, i bought online and went to local dealer and had mount/balance the tire

I have just a tad over 7400 miles on my 03 busa and all in three months time. Still got about 500-700 miles on my stock tire that came on the bike. Mostly interstate miles and not playing too hard on her. Just starting into the wheelie stage so i am sure it will diminish rapidly.

No offense......but I would feel pretty stupid if I bought a tire from someplace called discount tire and then had a problem with it. I mean, they may be a great place and all, I don't know. I just couldn't handle the name..........

flyabusa....8k miles on a stock tire?? wow!  I guess I have been riding pretty hard if it's possible to make it last that long.

raiderdm...How do you like the feel of the M1?  If you get 6k out of the Metzlers, how many miles did you get out of the stock bridgestone?  Just trying to see how the two compare.

techbum...I went to the discount tires website and they did seem to have some good deals, however, they don't carry the OEM rear.  I even tried calling them.  I was on hold several times for a VERY long time, finally got through on like the 4th attempt and they had never even heard of the Battlaxe BT56R.  The Motorcycle Specialties website was a lot more user friendly and I found the tire I needed right away.  Don't know about thier customer service.

RaiderDm...How do you like the feel of the M1?  If you get 6k out of the Metzlers, how many miles did you get out of the stock bridgestone?  Just trying to see how the two compare.
I got 2653 miles out of the Stock OEM tire.

The M-1s I like because the stick & feel better in the wet better than the Bridgestones & Dunlops did in the dry.
It is only when extremely leaned over and HARD on the throttle that they start to slip. I also like the fact that the grip & feel remain constant even as the tires approach
the end of their service life.

Go with Metzlers Bro I had nothing but good grip from the sporttec M1 its a down low player.I agree with going to kneedraggers they will work with you and I have nothing bad to say about them.I also like to have matching tires front and back but I have riden with a dunlop rear and bridgestone front.I cant say how much mileage you'll get because I have 14k on my Busa and I've been through 5 tires one was a screw.MY M1's have 2k but the rear is ready.

****It is very important that you mention you have a Busa because they make a special tire for the Busa.*******

I don't much ride on the edge, but sometimes come close and want the grip that sport tires give. But, after a number of rears which gave less than 3K plus fact that I use the bus for some traveling, decided to try a matched set of sport-tourers.

I used the Michelin pilot road predecessor, the 100X Macadam. I was really surprised and impressed with the grip and handling characteristics. Just changed them out after 6100 fairly aggressive miles....they still had a little more. I'm sold and will use nothing but Michelin Pilot Road.

Of course, obviously if you use the busa for the track or your'e consistently doing aggressive street work, it would be best to stick to sport tires, no question.

been running bridgestones of all types due to profiles
have bt012ss on front and rear.seem to wear a bit longer than other ss tires,and you can kick the rear out easy when you're in the mood

Most of you guys must be pretty easy on 'em. I've got about 1100 miles on the BT56 and I'm almost down to the wear bars. No smoky tire burn outs, but I must admit I do Love the hard launch. Not really a wheelie guy either. Front wheel just skipping off the ground is fastest.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Metzeler M1's, so I'll be trying out a set of those in a few weeks.

BTW, I also run 38 lbs. pressure front and rear, so that will impact tire wear just a little. however, the bike seems to be much better planted and way less skiddish with the lower pressure...check it out.

Johncal

I just put a Sportec M-1 on Thurs. night thanks to that evil dry-wall nail that I picked up. I must say that I am very pleased with the way it feels.....much better than the OEM. I'm not an aggressive rider(about a 1/2" to the edge) but it feels like it sticks much better in the curves and feels very smooth. I have an OEM on the front and they seem to work well together.

just mounted dunlop 208 on rear. haven't done 100 miles worth of scuffing yet, but on quick take offs they spun like loose sand. hoping its just the break in period. had 4500 wiht a nice flat center on my OEMs. if they suck, I'll burn the crap out of them, tell you all and get something better. my riding is 60/40 split of normal/warp speed and some twisties

I have managed to get 6000 miles on my stock tires. But that rear one has got to go.
laugh.gif
I already have my replacement so now it is only a matter of getting it changed. Which I will be doing myself as soon as a couple of parts come in. I have already designed and built a bead breaking tool and wheel balancer to aid in the process. A couple of tire irons and an axle for my balancer is all that is standing between me and a new rear tire. I'll posts pics when the time comes.

Back