busa has appetite for rear tire

Michelin Pilot Powers = 4200 ( Best )
Really? Aren't those softer compounds than the Sportecs? I do plan on going with those (Pilot Powers) for track dayz.
They are a softer compound.
When I switched to them this year after using the HPX's,it was like night and day.
Feedback from them is the best I have ever felt in a tire.
Which transfers into more confidence, which equals greater speeds.
I know there are a lot of great tires out there and I have tried out most, it's just that I ride a lot of miles each season, and I want traction first and longevity comes in a distant second.
I also was surprised at the mileage #'s I was getting because I am riding harder on these than I ever have before and that makes them a good fit for me.
The price I have been paying for them is 220 a set plus 10 buck each shipping from competition assecories.
That was a start of the season special on the sets so I bought 4 sets knowing I would burn through them.
And what's a tire thread without a picture.

IMG_0181.JPG

Feedback from them is the best I have ever felt in a tire.
Which transfers into more confidence, which equals greater speeds.
I know there are a lot of great tires out there and I have tried out most, it's just that I ride a lot of miles each season, and I want traction first and longevity comes in a distant second.
Very well put.

I am a bit of a newbie to the wide Radial tire thing. My last bike was a bit of a dinosaur in that respect and tires were a challenge to find. One of the reasons I went to a Busa in fact. But I can say after going through a lot of sets of different tire styles, brands and compounds that tires are a source of concern (and persoanal preference to some extent) for everyone. Once you find a tire you are comfortable with you stick with it and when you find a set you are not comfortable with you live and learn and run away. Case in point my old bike loved Metzelers (Me33 comp-K front, and ME55 rear) but a few years ago they quit making the rear in the size I wanted and I decided to switch to Michelins, wow what a step backwards. The wear was similar (5k evenly for the pair) but the handling was entirely too nervous for my tastes. I want to puke when I see my buddy getting 8000 miles+ on his 145hp FJR1300. Now I have my choice of Dozens of new tires and I am happily looking forward to finding that perfect set. Perfect tire for me would last me about 5000 miles and stick like crap on a blanket.

The OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe lasted 4500 miles on the 2004 I bought new last Sept. I replaced it with a Michelin Pilot Road, the bike now has 13500 on the clock (9000 on the new tire) and tire has plenty of wear left.

I also took the 'Busa on a 7 day 10 state 2200 mile run this summer, including the Dragon, Blue Ridge Pkwy, etc.

The Michelins seem to stick just fine.

Mike In Illinois

I guess I just ride hard and didn't even think I did but having ridden an R1 and Gixxer 750 in the past and other sportbikes it should then come as no surprise the wear on the tire. I guess getting on gas pretty hard has its consequences he!he! I don't intend in doing track days and strictly just do street riding. I'll try the Pilots on my next tire change but for now I'm going to give the battleax 020 a chance. It'll save me some money as I won't have to change the front tire.

michelin pilot powers! trust me. fast warm up's and a craving slut for the twisties.

The OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe lasted 4500 miles on the 2004 I bought new last Sept.
There would be no way in hell I'd be able to go 4500 mi on the OEM's. I prolly would've killed myself while trying to hit the limiter in 6th on a badly faded rear. Best I got was 2700 mi and that's with a mix of aggressive/spirited riding and cruising (daily driver style).

Back