Screw in the rear tire

leaderc

Registered
I know there's a huge range of prices, but what can I be expecting to be looking at as far as price for just a replacement stock rear tire for my '04? The current tire is a Bridgestone that's on there. Sucks too, the bike only has 4100 miles on it and the rear tire is in fine shape...
Charles

First off if you still have the stock tire at 4100 miles then you are doing great, mine didn't last 2000 miles. Second it is not worth risking injury to save a few bucks on a patched tire or leaving the screw in there and hoping you don't have a flat.

As for price, I think i spent about $150 for my metzler sportec M1-P. Cycle gear sold me the tire then mounted it onto my wheel (I took it off the bike myself). They have the best price in DFW on tires that i have found.

Think about your riding style before you buy a new tire. With the stock tire lasting that long you prob don't ride as hard as I do, try a harder compound tire that will last longer. Softer sticky tires don't last near as long but give you much better grip. Just my .02

I know there's a huge range of prices, but what can I be expecting to be looking at as far as price for just a replacement stock rear tire for my '04? The current tire is a Bridgestone that's on there. Sucks too, the bike only has 4100 miles on it and the rear tire is in fine shape...
Charles
Yeah, those nails and screws are a pain. I'm on rear tire number 4 at 8000 miles because of a couple nails.

Kev

Forgot to mention, I also don't think it's worth patching, unless you never break 50, go around curves, or venture farther from home than you can walk.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118229540 -->

4100 miles on the stock tire.
rock.gif
I,d say it,s time for a new one anyway.
wink.gif

haha,, at 4,100 miles I would have already went thru the belts and be riding on the air inside by now.. lol

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com has some good prices on tires to your door.. some of these places have great prices.. then nail you on shipping.

If you decide to order a tire online be sure that you have somebody that will change the tire for you.

It's better to buy a tire from whoever will change the tire also...

some dealers (mine ex-dealership for example.. the 'busa was about the 6th bike we've bought from them... also the last as far as I'm concerned) won't change a tire that wasn't bought from them..

more about my story just because it pisses me off so badly..

I priced the tire thru them... they told me like $220 for a damn rear tire that I'd just seen advertised for $130ish so i asked them what they could do.. so he priced it for $180.. PLUS 25 to mount it...

"... Nah.. think i'll just buy it online if I'm saving $50... "

"well good luck finding somebody to mount it because we won't"

hehe I didn't say much other than.. well if thats how you feel about it.

bought the tires online .. found a guy that runs a little cycle shop who changed the tires for $10 each if I took em' off the bike... next time around I started buying my tires off him for about $150 mounted and all... and if I buy a set of tires (pirelli diablo's) it's about $260 for the set mounted/balanced.. ect. ect.

do some checking aroudn man.. effin' dealerships are insane.. or mine is anyway with tire prices..

.. oh.. I buy all my parts/accessories from the local guy mostly now. He's making a wee bit of money.. plus I normally pay before he even orders so it works out good for both of us...

Rear Tires are like screw magnets . Why is it always the Rear Tire ? Is there a tire Gremlin on the rampage ? Why is is most time a Friggin screw ? Why not a nail ? Huuummm??? I suspect a conspiracy among the tire dealerships . Do the have Gps chips in them that allows the tire companies to know where you stay and then they send a tire screw squad out to assasinate your new tire thus making you buy new ones . THE HORROR, THE HORROR
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|tinmann
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118266597 -->

Lets see, $10,000 bike, your life and passengers' if you ride 2 up, innocent other motorist lives at stake if you patched or plugged wore out tire blows, This is not rocket science here! The dang thing is not maintenace free! What is there to think about? NJ.

dont feel bad about the tire ...4100 is good mileage out of it. try this for size...i put a brand new set of tires and in less this 50 miles i have a hole in my front tire...that sucks
evil.gif

Thanks all for the replies, yes, it will be a new tire, my life is worth more than a couple hundred. I ride pretty easy so I don't wear 'em as fast as some. That will probably change as I become a little more experienced on my beautiful steed
smile.gif

Lets see, $10,000 bike, your life and passengers' if you ride 2 up, innocent other motorist lives at stake if you patched or plugged wore out tire blows, This is not rocket science here! The dang thing is not maintenace free! What is there to think about? NJ.
Well spoken.
yah.. the only problem was nobody ever suggested pluggin'/patchin the tire in the first place..

it helps if you read more than the topic subject before ya hit reply...

hehe.. although I figured it was "that" question also.

Back