New Tires

MEBusa

Registered
My bike is fairly new, so I am no where close to needing tires, but:

1. How long does a set of tires, last you?

2. Did you stay with the stock tire, or changed to a different/better tire (what brand)?

My 09 came with Bridgestone's. 120/70 front, 190/50 rear

Thanks.

I think most folks went with different brands after the stock ones wore thin. The brands vary greatly. I have used pirelli for some time and love them. they, like most have different types depending on what style of riding you like to do. mileage wise would depend on the tire and style of riding you do. I have used pirelli strada tires and got good mileage out of them. about 7k on the rear and 12 or so on the front. they are a sport tourer style. other styles will get less if they are a softer compound but will grip better although i went through the dragon numerous times knee dragging with the stada tires with no issues whatsoever. end to in in about 12 minutes. once you hit the wear marks get a new set. dont risk riding beyond that:rulez:

upgraded:whistle:

SANY1193.jpg

Dunlop Q2's for the Track and local riding, cuz almost all my roads are twisty/curvey!

Pirelli Angels for my road trips...

Whisky for my men and 87 Octane for my Busa...:laugh:

2. Did you stay with the stock tire
My 09 came with Bridgestone's.
Thanks.

My stockers came off at 400 miles on the Busa and 500 miles on the 1000 (last bike). Hate em hate em hate em~!~

Totally depends on your riding style - mileage or performance, or balance of both?

There are gobs of tire threads, click on the search button on the top will open you to hours of reading about tires.

The stockers are BT 015's and are OK tires (a medium between mileage and performance); BT 016's are more grippy for cornering, while BT 023's are a better mileage tire but not as good a grip). Tire pricing is also important and you have to follow around the net for deals.

I have Dunlop Q2's on my bikes (and about 3 sets in the garage as I bought the during sales - down to around $200 a set which is a great price); Q2's aren't a great mileage tire, but they STICK about as good as any street tire there is.

Say it w/ me now "Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's"...
Back tire lasts anywhere from 4-6k miles...
Great in the rain, never had it kick out on me...
Dual compound...
Heats up great for my harsh twisty riding...

Gonna probably try a set of Pilot Power Pures soon.

I like what I've been reading about the Michelin 2CT's.

Over on the Pashnit site, I read an article about the Avon Storm ST Tires .
They have all the characteristics that I'm looking for in a tire; much like what MikeSomething said about the 2CT's. I've heard about the Michelin's, Perilli's, Dunlops, Firestone (which I still have, still stock), & Meltzer's, but never heard any mention of the Avon's, until that article. Any experience there?

Suzuki Hayabusa Mods Modifications- World's Fastest Motorcycle | Pashnit

I'm not looking for a tire to do "extreme" corning. My set up is more for cruising, and occasionally punching the throttle, on a straight way.

I'm looking for:
#1 Longevity (Mileage)
#2 One that will stick well; won't kick out from under you, taking a curve
#3 Handles wet roads well
#4 Appearance; looks.

Avon Storm 2s are an excellent choice.
I just went thru this and put all here thru same thing.
After many a sleepless night I got those based on opinions of several high milers here.
I've got about 700 miles on them now and have ridden in Florida hard rain storms a couple times as well. They feel great.

It certainly depends on your riding style and geographic location. IF I lived in.....Robbinsville, NC, I would have the stickiest tires made, but since I live in Floriduh and commute daily on the scooter(s) year round, I need a higher mileage tire, harder in the middle and soft on the edges. I had good luck with the OEM tires but they seemed too hard and noisy. I've had Diablos and currently I'm running Shinkos. They are a decent tire but I will try the 2CTs next. Nothing extreme for me as most of my riding is here in S FL, with annual trips to the NC area. No track days with this bike so far.

Anyway, as mentioned, there are tons of threads related to tires and they are filled with some good information.

Last edited:
My stockers came off at 400 miles on the Busa and 500 miles on the 1000 (last bike). Hate em hate em hate em~!~

Now, what exactly don't you like about the BT016?

I'd have to say my experience with this tire has been nothing but positive. I have hung out with the race rubber guys on the track on this triple compound rear and dual compound front BTO16 without any sort of issues! They do over heat faster than a race tire but you must punish the rear pretty hard to overheat it. As far as street shoes go, I'd rate them far ahead of the outdated Michelin Pilot Power 2ct and right up there with the performance of Dunlops Q2! Although Dunlop's Q2 is my favorite I have found no issues with the BTO16 whatsoever!

My bike is fairly new, so I am no where close to needing tires, but:

1. How long does a set of tires, last you?

2. Did you stay with the stock tire, or changed to a different/better tire (what brand)?

My 09 came with Bridgestone's. 120/70 front, 190/50 rear

Thanks.

Congratulations MEBusa.
To try to answer your concerns, the standard 015's you have on will last about 7000km with a little something to spare, if you are not aggressive and use the Bus for general touring with a bit of "Sport" around the twisties.

That is if you are not over 110kg, in which case, the rubber disappears a bit sooner. PSI numbers also make a difference as well as ambient air temperatures.
I sit regularly (weekly) at a table of 4-5 Hayabusas and these guys know HOW TO RIDE 200kph corners as well as tight mountain twisties and they have tried everything available and they don't spare their rubbers.

The Bridgestone OEM BT015's are usually the first things they replace.
Choices are: (not in any particular order)

Dunlop RoadSmarts for general all-round longevity, feel of the road, grip and touring comfort.(I LIKE these v much)

Continental Road Attack 2's: more Sporty quicker steering rubber that is quite long lasting as well.

Bridestone 023's for all-rounder Sport-Touring with great ride and handling.

Avon Storm 2 ultra's for longevity and sporty grip.

Metzler M5, for overall excellence, great grip in all situations that also does not disgrace on the Track.

Dunlop SportSmarts, much like M5's and almost as long lasting as the RoadSmarts.

The UK "BIKE" magazine has a regular test of rubbers (and for Sport Touring,) and the RoadSmarts remain as "Still Brilliant", the 023's as "overall Top pick".

Around our table where riding is done on preferred mountains and v. fast twisties, RoadSmarts, Road Attack 2 and and Metzler M5's stand out as preferred choices with perhaps the M5's taking the cake. All above are v. good in the wet as well.

NB: PSI front and back makes a HUGE difference in how the Bus handles. For outright GRIP around the mountain twisties, consensus is that 34-36 works (or 33-34 depending how hard you push them).
Best and for general road trips around 38-38. Solo rider only of around 85-95km. (for doubles, slight more PSI is required).
For Track Days, go for a Track rubber.
Hope this helps. MERRY Christmas and ride SAFE!
O.

Outlaw doesn't like them because they don't perform as well on one wheel....:laugh: He rules on the one wheel ride....

Now, what exactly don't you like about the BT016?

I'd have to say my experience with this tire has been nothing but positive. I have hung out with the race rubber guys on the track on this triple compound rear and dual compound front BTO16 without any sort of issues! They do over heat faster than a race tire but you must punish the rear pretty hard to overheat it. As far as street shoes go, I'd rate them far ahead of the outdated Michelin Pilot Power 2ct and right up there with the performance of Dunlops Q2! Although Dunlop's Q2 is my favorite I have found no issues with the BTO16 whatsoever!

Back