It's getting to be time for new tires

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
Time for new tires and I'm not sure if I'll switch from the stock tires, but thought I might try something different. I might try the Pirelli Diablo tires or the Michelin Power Pilots? Any comments on either of these? Suggestions on a good track/street or just street tire? I'd like my tires to last at least 3,000 miles between changes, as my wife rides as well, plus I've got the cost of race buns for the track bike...this hobby is hella expensive, hey guys?
sad.gif

Jason

how often do you get on a race track? Diablos standard are great - but Diablo Corsa's are more for track thus you have to work to heat them up more. I read and hear Powers are great too. can't loose with either. I know Pirelli's wear quick = great sticky

how often do you get on a race track?   Diablos standard are great - but Diablo Corsa's are more for track thus you have to work to heat them up more.  I read and hear Powers are great too.  can't loose with either.  I know Pirelli's wear quick = great sticky
I bought a used track bike in order to get on the track and get into racing. I'm going to the Learning Curves race school at Blackhawk the weekend of Aug 27.

I don't take the Busa on the track. I'm barely restrained riding out in the middle nowhere the way it is and I'm positive I'm going to crash on the track pushing the envelope farther and farther...don't want to crash out my boo. In any case, I ride the heck out of it and need new tires now. I'm not considering the Diablo Corsas for the Busa, but might go with the Diablo. I've heard good things about the Michelin Powers as well. Just looking to gather some info from the board.

Thanks for the input, Greg.  
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122032536 -->

I'm on my second Diablo P rear tire. First one just barely survived my trip to Sardina in April (around 4000 km). Really, really sticky, much better than the BT56 that my 'Bus came with, and they just fall over into the turns without any effort. But you pay for the performance with shorter tread-life... I'm staying with them, though. May switch to Bridgestone BT014's at the next front tire change...

--Steve

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: "latre - sleep deprivation induced grammar malfunction..."|1122032731 -->

I'm on my second Diablo P rear tire. First one just barely survived my trip to Sardina in April (around 4000 km). Really, really sticky, much better than the BT56 that my 'Bus came with, and they just fall over into the turns without any effort. But you pay for the performance with shorter tread-life... I'm staying with them, though. May switch to Bridgestone BT014's at the next front tire change...

--Steve
cool. thanks expat.
smile.gif

I ran the Diablo's for a while, now runing Super Corsa's, very sticky tire! The busa will wheelie now with throttle only with this tire in second gear, and you dont have to "chop" the throttle to get it to come up.Like "expat" says, it will just fall over now on the turns, you have to expect it now or you'll r you'll think its about to wipe out or something.Very quick warm up also.NJ.

I ran the Diablo's for a while, now runing Super Corsa's, very sticky tire! The busa will wheelie now with throttle only with this tire in second gear, and you dont have to "chop" the throttle to get it to come up.Like "expat" says, it will just fall over now on the turns, you have to expect it now or you'll r you'll think its about to wipe out or something.Very quick warm up also.NJ.
Very cool. I think I'll go with them. Thanks, NJ!
smile.gif

Don't think you can go wrong with either the Pirelli Diablos or Michelin Pilots. I have the Pirellis on now, but haven't ridden on 'em yet. Hopefully I'll get to give a good ride report soon.

I think Pirelli probably makes the best tires on the market to date. I bought a set of Diablos and they are sitting in my garage awaiting the 56's to get bald. If you aren't dragging the foot pegs I think you'd be quite happy with the diablos. They will probably last twice as long as the pilots and perform just as well until the foot pegs start to touch the pavement.

I personally like the BT014's as well. Really sticky on the outside and better tread life in the middle since they are dual compound.

I think Pirelli probably makes the best tires on the market to date. I bought a set of Diablos and they are sitting in my garage awaiting the 56's to get bald. If you aren't dragging the foot pegs I think you'd be quite happy with the diablos. They will probably last twice as long as the pilots and perform just as well until the foot pegs start to touch the pavement.

I personally like the BT014's as well. Really sticky on the outside and better tread life in the middle since they are dual compound.
I didnt know this! Are you serious? Dual compound? NJ.

I alsolike the Metzler Sportec M-1's I got on my Busa right now. It feels great even in the corners with it lowered 3". They are wearing really well too. I drag race most every weekend through the race season and I almost have a whole year on them and the tread still looks great. Just my thoughts.

Pilot Powers Rock! Your bike will fall over in the turns and they wear very well......

I alsolike the Metzler Sportec M-1's I got on my Busa right now.  It feels great even in the corners with it lowered 3".  They are wearing really well too.  I drag race most every weekend through the race season and I almost have a whole year on them and the tread still looks great.  Just my thoughts.
just put a set of metzlers M-1 on mine also they feel so much better than the bt-56 did, I feel so much more planted in the corners and just like NJ said about the diablos I am feeling with the M-1 traction bringing up the front alot easier. I like these tires.

i've ran bridgestone (of course), dunlop, and pirelli on the 'busa.. I'm very happy with the diablos.. I actually put a set on my other bike also.. I splurged a bit and put the corsa version on the front... just the normal diablo in the rear though... they don't make the diablo in a 160 size for the SV650..

Somebody mentioned dragging pegs on the diablos... I've done that with the busa and it still felt good.. I have heard that when the pirellis let go you will have your hands full...

can't speak from personal experience.. I've broke the rear loose a bit,... but thats wholly different than sliding the front.

If you use some common sense and don't go hell bent for road rash on the street I think the diablo would be an excellent choice. The corsas would be good if you ride super aggressive all the time ... although I wouldn't recommend it... the 'busa has alot of potential for mayhem, and very high speed if you are being super aggressive of course.

Back