new tires

tommyB

Registered
I need some new tires on my bike and I was wondering if I should get r coupound tires or gummies. Are these tires good
to buy. :bounce:

If you want the best grip in good conditions go with race tires, they blow regular street tire away.

If you are nervous pick up a set of race take offs for a fraction of the cost, if you pick decent onesthey always have a ton of street miles left on em. If you don't like em, don't buy em again, But I know you wil fall in love with them.

If you do a lot of miles, ride in rain, or cold weather, go with a pilot sport or metzler m1.

Imho

It depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing tommyb.

I know you just got your 97 VFR, a very capable cornering machine. Luckily that bike wont eat tires as fast as a busa. If you want to take it easy and go with a higher mileage tire or buy a very confidence inspiring sticky tire is up to you.

I would personally not buy a sticky tire for you first tire for the bike, but then again I like to take my time and get to know my new baby. You may be the rip snorting rider screaming down the road on the edge the first week... I love the Dunlop D208s. My new Busa has a pilot sport on it, but I haven't much experience on it as of yet to give you a solid report on. I hope it is a sticky as I hear!

Take care and post some pics of yer new ride!

Race tires on the street are generally a really bad idea unless you live just a stones throw away from some serious twisties, and it never rains, and the streets are allways clean. The race compound tires take a lot of heat to get them working properly, heat that you would be hard pressed to generate and maintain on the road. My .02

I would go for a set of Dunlop D208's for the street. They are supposed to heat up quick and give a reasonable life expectancy with good grip.
Also, buying take offs for the street can be risky because you do not know how many heat cycles they have been through and there is just really no way of knowing what kind of shape they are in. Again my opinion only...

Race tires on the street are generally a really bad idea unless you live just a stones throw away from some serious twisties, and it never rains, and the streets are allways clean.  The race compound tires take a lot of heat to get them working properly, heat that you would be hard pressed to generate and maintain on the road.  My .02
Having ridden race tires on the street I must disagree. They do work better with heat. However, in the summer when the temperature is up there, they hold plenty of heat and work freaking awesome. Once the temp gets down to 65-60. Look out highside city. Rain, highside city. Tire wear, about 1000 to 1500 miles.

TommyB, I forgot this was your first bike. Go with a dunlop208, pilot sport, something like that. It will be good, trust us.

I stand corrected....Though I still recommend some real good street compound...Mostly for the little bit of extra forgiveness they may provide...

Recently put a 208 on the rear (when I replaced my cracked rim!) Beautiful, confidence inspiring, sticky rubber! :super:

my .02 worth here.
Michilin Pilot Sport is the best I have ever run. I have burnt it out like 200 times and put 1500 mile on it and this freaking thing still has tread. Great grip at the strip and on the street . I paid 162 tax and all for the last one i bought at Action Motorsports in Clanton ALabama. Damn good deal. I figgure I can get 2500 miles and 300 drag runs out of it.

...and on the flipside: I'll never buy another 208 again. Worst I've had. Spins on almost EVERY throttle twist. The EOMs worked better to me. I'm going Pirelli next. Sticky on my previous bike, stickiest on my car too.

Just could never reccomend that anyone ever use race tires on the street. But I guess some people only ride short distance and only in good weather. It just seems like a complete waste for the street, and unsafe in anything but perfect conditions.

with ya there Gararnett - I want something specifically designed to go over potholes, excess tar, cracks, sand, dirt, rocks, glass, multi cement surface types, rain, snow, gravel, small rabbits, mother in laws, ZX-12r's, space-time contineum vortex anomilies, ice, large flattened paper cups from Dairy Queen.... not JUST clean, flat, track asphalt. But that's just me ;)

I just put a dunlop 208 on my rear.....I notice no difference from the original equipment.....but then again, I am a wimp and have had my bike up to only 120mph and don't take corners at 100 like some guys on this forum.
I am happy with the dunlops although a few folks have had some problems.

The 2nd factor to consider with Race tires is cost. They are usually pricier than premium street rubber for one. Two they wear out at a ridiculously fast rate. So you have to pay to replace them 2 to 4 times as often.

BTW Metzlers & Pirellis are from the same plants with the same compounds.

:cool: :thumbsup: ;)

Back