New tires this week.... 190 or 200 on the rear

Houston_Rider

Registered
I'm leaning (no pun intended) toward the Michelin Pilot Sport HPX (new front and rear) and the guy asked me if I preferred the 190 or 200 in the rear. I know that in some cases the extra 10mm isn't the issue, but the geometry of the tire?

Is everyone stepping to the 200? What are the implications besides a 10mm wider tire?

Btw, my OEM Battlax's got me 6100 miles down the road before I saw the first signs of cord.. the front tire could go another 5k, but I'm gonna buy the set.

I went to a 180 to help me turn tighter on twisties I never get to see anymore.
Are you after looks or performance?

The 200 it's mostly for the looks dude. There are some 190 that look as large as a 200 and they keep the handling capabilities intact. I wouldn't switch for the 200 tyre, but style is style: that's why people buy motorcycles like the V-Max or the X11...

Um the stock Bridgstones are right around 198mm, so you need to decide if that 2mm is worth the extra bones...

Some manufacturers actually make a special "Spec" tire for the busa. They cost the same and are called a 190 but are actually a 198 size.

I don't know exactly why different manufacturers have done this, but at least bridgestone and Metzeler have. Since I have not spent more time or research on this than the Suzuki and tire engineers have, I just follow their lead and use the special tires they spec'd out on mine.

JOHNCAL

What the REV said!
I live in the same riding environment as you, and I run a 200 Bridgestone.
It keeps it fat looking and is only 2mm larger than stock.
You will NEVER feel a difference, in handling.

Go with a 250
Awwww man! That is sooooo schweet looking jwc! It'd kill handling in the twisties though. I REALLY need two busas. I'd love to do a low slung, Velocity Racing turbo'd, 250 rear tire'd street legal drag bike and another at stock height set up for twisty running. Maybe if I refinanced my house, and sold my car, and got two more jobs... Hmmm... :super:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the Trac Dynamics test mule bike evidently. I don't think anyone would put that rear kit on and use a stock black front rim with it.

Um the stock Bridgstones are right around 198mm, so you need to decide if that 2mm is worth the extra bones...
where does 198mm come from?

I know my Bridgestones are 190/50/17's... what size are yours? 198/50/17 ?
Yeah, I think this wa answered pretty well. There are a few manufacturers that make a rear uh..."Hypersports" or some crap like that... (cannot remember the exact name) tire just for the great big power bikes. ZX11, Busa, Blackbird, and 12R. They are supposed to be able to handle the torque and loads of the big uns' better. I dunno how accurate that is I might just be a victim of the press. But I do know that the Bridgstone even though marked 190's spec out at like 198 mm.

FWIW...

Awwww man! That is sooooo schweet looking jwc! It'd kill handling in the twisties though. I REALLY need two busas. I'd love to do a low slung, Velocity Racing turbo'd, 250 rear tire'd street legal drag bike and another at stock height set up for twisty running. Maybe if I refinanced my house, and sold my car, and got two more jobs... Hmmm...  :super:
That would be sweet for the ride back and forth to work.
idea3.gif

Ok....

If the 190's are 198.... what are the 200's? lol

Are Michelin 190's a true 190 and the Bridgstone 190's are 198's?

So a Michelin 200 is the same width as a Bridge 190?

I have read that there can be as much as a 10% difference between what the is marked on the tire and what they measure out to. So you could have a 190 the is really closer to a 180 or one the might as well be a 200. Not sure why there can be that much difference, time of day rubber compound was mixed, planetary alignment...? Most tire manufacturers spec a tire for the busa because of the heft and torque.

Ok....

If the 190's are 198.... what are the 200's? lol

Are Michelin 190's a true 190 and the Bridgstone 190's are 198's?

So a Michelin 200 is the same width as a Bridge 190?
Hey Houston,
I bought a 200 HPX and there is absolutely no difference in cornering. The Michelin 200 is closer to the Bridgestone OEM than the 190 is. So you are actually changing the tire width less with a 200 then you are with a 190.
As for the price, the only reason I can see why it's so much more money is because it grips much better than my original Bridgstone.
Good luck,
Wayne

Back