190 or 200 Size Tire

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
I just ordered the specific Busa Sportec M-1 tire for the front. I am going to need a back tire soon and my bike tire is currently a Bridgestone 200. (came with the bike used)

The Sportec M-1 Busa specific only comes in 190 and not 200. If I go with the 190 instead of the 200 what kind of differences will I notice? Should I go with the regular M-1 200 tire and skip the Busa specific?

I am most concerned with looks and handling.

Will the 190 look substantially smaller then the 200? I kind of like the look of the fat tires.

Will I notice any performance changes going from the 200 to the 190?

Cloud

I installed a 200 Michelin sport pilot no diference in look the handling is very good.

I just ordered the specific Busa Sportec M-1 tire for the front. I am going to need a back tire soon and my bike tire is currently a Bridgestone 200. (came with the bike used)

The Sportec M-1 Busa specific only comes in 190 and not 200. If I go with the 190 instead of the 200 what kind of differences will I notice? Should I go with the regular M-1 200 tire and skip the Busa specific?

I am most concerned with looks and handling.

Will the 190 look substantially smaller then the 200? I kind of like the look of the fat tires.

Will I notice any performance changes going from the 200 to the 190?

Cloud
Hey Cloud9,

I just ordered the Metzeler Sportec M1 in the 200 for my Busa also. Looks great and not really noticeable in size than the 190. It does corner well and gives a little more stability than my 190. I just think that it's the tire brand itself. This is my first set of Metzelers. Lori (LoBusa) gave me some real good reviews on them, so I'm giving them a shot. If they are not to my liking then the Michelin Pilot or the Pirelli Diablo is the next in line. Just need a little more seat time on them.

Brian

The stock tire is actually a 198, so you will see no adverse difference in handling.
I have had both, and it'll always be a 200 for me.

I had a 200 on my bike...I think it was a Bridgestone 020 and it barely cleared the brake bar...And with my heavy butt that was a concern...
evil.gif

I like the fat tire look too, I've never heard of a big difference in 190 versus 200 as far as handling or performance.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081808834 -->

I would figure that a 190 would handle better cornering then the 200 because it is a bit thinner. Am I wrong on this? From the posts I am seeing above, I am getting the impression that the 200 handles better then the 190...

I figure the 200 is really only good for putting more traction to the ground during a launch. If you really can't tell the difference between the looks of a 190 and a 200 and the 190 handles better in the twisties, I am leaning towards the 190. Not sure I will really use the extra rubber of a 200 often enough at the tracks to justify it... Am I wrong in my thinking here?

Not to mention, it sounds like the M-1 sportec 190 Busa specific will be better then the 200 at high speeds. Sounds to me like the M-1 190 (Busa Specific) is the overall better tire then the M-1 200.

Cloud

The factory tire on the Busa does measure out to be a 198, I actually measured mine. I am also looking at the M-1 due to the reviews of others. My only Q is also in regaurds to the 190 v 200. If you goto a 190 M-1 you will actually be decreasing the size of your factory tire due to its 198 actual spec size. So in order to keep the same, if not slightly larger width you must go with the M-1 200.
How does this effect performance without having the "P" spec rating?
What specifically does the "P" spec rating mean?
rock.gif

The Corner crowd will tell you that a smaller profile tire will increase the bikes turn in rate and ability to get over. Thus you will see a lot of them going to a 180 series rear. The downside to this is you end up sacraficing some straight line stability, pretty much what you want if you want to get serious in the corners.

Myself, I am going to be putting on a 200 series tire next time. I like the 190 Bridgestone 010 thats on there, but I miss some of the "fat" look.

so that does it, then. I'm hooked on getting another BT10 or 14 190 series.

Hey Rev....how are those BT10's in wet conditions?

For those that are stating that the 190 is really 198...

Yea, that is true... just like the 200 measures out to 208. The factory tire on the Busa is a bridgestone 190... So the argument that the 190 is a 200 falls out because the 200 is still about 10mm more then the 190.

Cloud

I am really torn on this one... The Busa (P) M-1 tires is supposed to be specifically made for the Busa. My understanding is that the 190P is better for high speed runs then the regular 200 M-1. In fact, I beleive the 190(p) is quite a bit more pricey then their 200 as well.

Ha! Rain? Rain? Who the hell rides the busa in the Rain?
rock.gif

Sorry man, just playing. But, I have not goten caught in the rain with it yet. Nope, Not once. Generally speaking I avoid riding in the rain down here, not cause I am Skeered of the water, but the cagers down here are freaking murderous in fair weather, never mind put a little rain on the roads... These jackoffs act like it's the first time they have encountered a wet road everytime it rains...

I do remember liking metzlers in the rain a lot though. Predictable, stable...

I have been liking the 010's in the dry though. I hated the BT56, but I am actually digging the 010... I don't hate bridgestone anymore because of the 010...

If you really want some sound tire recommendations though ask RaiderDM. He has about 37K on his busa in two years, he's gone through plenty of tires...

I am really torn on this one... The Busa (P) M-1 tires is supposed to be specifically made for the Busa. My understanding is that the 190P is better for high speed runs then the regular 200 M-1. In fact, I beleive the 190(p) is quite a bit more pricey then their 200 as well.
So is the M-1 P-spec still a 198 too?
rock.gif

rock.gif
Not sure. I am going to have my new front put on at the end of the week. I will ask...

From some of the forum postings from last year... (vague in my memory) I could have sworn we have been through this entire thing before on the 198vs208. I took away from those postings that the 190 is generally a 198 and a 200 is generally a 208. Anyone know for sure on this?

Ha!  Rain?  Rain?  Who the hell rides the busa in the Rain?
rock.gif

Sorry man, just playing.  But, I have not goten caught in the rain with it yet.  Nope, Not once.  Generally speaking I avoid riding in the rain down here, not cause I am Skeered of the water, but the cagers down here are freaking murderous in fair weather, never mind put a little rain on the roads... These jackoffs act like it's the first time they have encountered a wet road everytime it rains...

I do remember liking metzlers in the rain a lot though.  Predictable, stable...

I have been liking the 010's in the dry though.  I hated the BT56, but I am actually digging the 010...  I don't hate bridgestone anymore because of the 010...

If you really want some sound tire recommendations though ask RaiderDM.  He has about 37K on his busa in two years, he's gone through plenty of tires...
Har har....thbbtt!

Heheh...no probs, Rev. I know that most people generally avoid the rain, but sometimes it's inevitable. On my island ,it can be bright and sunny...hot as a scalded monkey's a$$ one minute, then suddenly, boom! Raining, windy and as wet as a tube of Ky the next minute.

I'll check Raider...I'm very curious to know as to which set I should get next. I was planning on getting Daiblos, but NE said they don't have much longetivity.

Oh yeah....the cagers we got here are kinda like the ones you have: FUGGIN IDIOTS.

I was always told that the 180 would handle better in the twists and the 190 is better for the freeway goin over bumps or holes and stuff.
does the 200 tire take away from the top end? I was told that it would make the bike faster?

this stuff is confusing
rock.gif

I was always told that the 180 would handle better in the twists and the 190 is better for the freeway goin over bumps or holes and stuff.
does the 200 tire take away from the top end?  I was told that it would make the bike faster?

this stuff is confusing
rock.gif
Someone is screwing with you with the whole "200 series makes your bike go faster" It might be a tad quicker if you have been having a lot of wheelspin, but otherwise no. A 200 series taking away from top end? This is new to me and I wouldn't sweat it much, the difference it might make for whatever reason would be freakin miniscule. Like 3-4 MPH... if anything...I would think.

As for the 180 series tires being better for handling yes, this is a true statement, however I dunno how much of a difference this is going to make on the street, it comes down to what you really want the bike to do.

rock.gif
Not sure. I am going to have my new front put on at the end of the week. I will ask...

From some of the forum postings from last year... (vague in my memory) I could have sworn we have been through this entire thing before on the 198vs208. I took away from those postings that the 190 is generally a 198 and a 200 is generally a 208. Anyone know for sure on this?

The Bridgstone Busa Specific Tire is actually a 198 yes.  But my understanding is that an 8mil difference from labeled to actual width is fairly unique to the BT56J, the 010 I have in a 190 size is a fair bit narrower, more a true 190.  As for 200's being 208mm, it all depends on the manufacterer and the model of tire.  Even from the same company, different tire models have different profiles and different widths.  So a blanket statement that 200's run out to 208mm just isn't really accurate.  

Now if it was a particular tire make and model then sure it could run out to 208, but not all 200mm width rears are going to be equal.

Maybe you've got Dunlop D208s on the brain?
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081856884 -->

Back