190 or 200 Size Tire

iamwithstupid.gif
I like the idea of the M-1 200 too, but what about the lack of P spec when you goto this size?
rock.gif

Experience on bike before who's stock rear 160 and 120 front. Tried a 170 on the back. Difference could see on chicken stripes. With 160 with little chicken showing, front tire had 1 1/4" stripe. With 170 with little chicken showing, front tire had 3/4" stripe.
The change of rear width changes how the front leans. 190 to 200 will likely have same effect.
160 and 170 handling. The 160 was quicker, better grab in tight turns. 170 did wear longer and handling was very good, get used to it riding style compensates. Both 160 and 170 were also very squirrelly on windy straights.
Difference between 190 and 200 isn't as much, but simlar difference is likely. Would go with 200 for looks, wear and weight. Go with 180 for twisites.

I am really torn on this one... The Busa (P) M-1 tires is supposed to be specifically made for the Busa. My understanding is that the 190P is better for high speed runs then the regular 200 M-1. In fact, I beleive the 190(p) is quite a bit more pricey then their 200 as well.
So is the M-1 P-spec still a 198 too?
rock.gif
Not sure. I am going to have my new front put on at the end of the week. I will ask...

From some of the forum postings from last year... (vague in my memory) I could have sworn we have been through this entire thing before on the 198vs208. I took away from those postings that the 190 is generally a 198 and a 200 is generally a 208. Anyone know for sure on this?

The Bridgstone Busa Specific Tire is actually a 198 yes.  But my understanding is that an 8mil difference from labeled to actual width is fairly unique to the BT56J, the 010 I have in a 190 size is a fair bit narrower, more a true 190.  As for 200's being 208mm, it all depends on the manufacterer and the model of tire.  Even from the same company, different tire models have different profiles and different widths.  So a blanket statement that 200's run out to 208mm just isn't really accurate.  

Now if it was a particular tire make and model then sure it could run out to 208, but not all 200mm width rears are going to be equal.

Maybe you've got Dunlop D208s on the brain?
smile.gif
Thanks for clearing that up Rev. Yea, you maybe right; I probably got the 208 from D208

Cloud

The P specs DAMNIT the P SPECS!!!!! What about the freakin P SPECS?
rock.gif
?

Sorry JustinT2, I just dunno...

"P" spec. 'Busa, ZX12 only tires from Pirelli and Metzeler are reinforced with extra rubber or belts depending on front/rear. They are more heat resistant than the regular tire. If you plan on topping out you bike then get the "P" spec. tires otherwise don't worry about it.

Most 180's corner better than 190's because they have taller sidewalls and raise the rear of the bike compared to 190's or 200's.

Just got off of the phone with Metzeler's US HQ. He answered all of the Q's we had and they are listed below:
smile.gif

P-Spec = extra layer of carcas inside for added stability and strength due to the Busa's high HP, TQ, and most importantly the high speeds it is capable of.
Actual tire width = 190 P-spec equals 190 in actual width, the 200 equals 194 in actual width. This means that the P-spec 190 is approximately 3/8" narrower than the factory Bridgestone.

Because of the 0 degree steel belted radial design they use, it warms up very quick but dissappates the heat evenly without over heating due to the steel belts complete wrapping of the tire. I am definitely going to get these as my next replacement tire based on all this info and feedback.  
face7.gif

Since the P spec M-1 is "Busa" specific by their own documentaiton. I bet the tire size on the 190 is really 198 to match stock...

Since the P spec M-1 is "Busa" specific by their own documentaiton. I bet the tire size on the 190 is really 198 to match stock...
According to the Metzeler tech it is not. He actually had the spec sheets in front of him and said that it was indeed narrower. It would be nice if it were the same width but I don't think the diefference will be visible or noticeable.
smile.gif

thinner tires do rollover faster an' work better in the twisties.

Straight line stability isn't any better on a fat tire as compared to an thin one (200-190) its the tires style(how its designed) that helps stability . A 150 can have a bigger "contact patch" than a 200 .

a 190 or a 200 . very little diff . Is the average shmuck gonna notice a difference....doubt it .

hav a good 1....Rubber S D .

i just put a d207 200 on the back... and i cant tell any difference from the bt56 190 that was on there oem. by specs the 207 is suppose to be a hair wider.
bt56 = 7.5 while the d207 = 7.64 ... a very small difference.

like somebody said earlier the average rider will not tell the differnce anyway.
i am gonna try the avon 45/46 next and i will most likely go with 200 rear.
good luck with your decision.
smile.gif

Ok I've put about 700 miles on a new 200 bridgestone 010 as far as width goes the tires are about the same because I don't believe the 010 200 is actually 200, and the stock is 198. The 010 seems to stick better and I feel more confident in the corners. My old BT56 slipped out a few times and made me wish i was wearing a diaper. The 010 seems to just flow through and keep grabbing. But hey what do i know

Ok I've put about 700 miles on a new 200 bridgestone 010 as far as width goes the tires are about the same because I don't believe the 010 200 is actually 200, and the stock is 198. The 010 seems to stick better and I feel more confident in the corners. My old BT56 slipped out a few times and made me wish i was wearing a diaper. The 010 seems to just flow through and keep grabbing. But hey what do i know
I dunno Dezzy, I was ready to forever swear off of Bridgestones, but I replaced my BT56 with the 010 as well but in a 190 width. I have been quite pleased with it, more predictable, better cold grip, more feedback. So I would agree with you, the 010 is a much better tire...

Back