Matching front and rear tires...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
For starters, I've heard, via opinion only, that it is not a good idea to run two different makes of tires on the front and rear. I'm now in the need of my first rear tire (front is still good as with most bikes - 2 fronts for every rear) and believe a diff. rear from the OE Bridgestone front tire should not cause any problems.

Here's why:
Each tire runs independently; brakes, suspension, free rolling vs. power. I'm not talking about matching a supersport tire with a touring tire. both would be Z rated tires. Why should there be any problems?

I've talked with those that have done this and was told they can't notice any difference. Does anyone have a diff. take on this?

I have to tell you that I have been riding sport bikes for 21 years, (all Gixxers of some sort or another). I have never mix/matched tires. It just never seemed like a good idea to me. Here is my biggest reason why. Just because it is a "Z" rated tire does not make it the same. The compound may be different ie, a little softer or harder than the other one. That is just my opinion.

Don

On auto tires a tread rating of 240 on this tire is not the same as a tread rating of 240 on another make of tire. There is not industry standard for "240" being this hard or soft. Each tire maker uses their own scale. I have never looked into the tread rating of a motorcycle tire like on the tires for the Cobra.

Don

I'll mix types ....but usually not brands.

I did run all the way to the gap from St. Pete...all over NC...and back with an OEM front and a pirelli dragon SC race take-off on the rear (only because the front pirelli turned out to be bad).
Not what I would normally do...but there wasn't anything 'dangerous' about it.

This next set going on after my pilots will be an Avon Viper AV59 front & Azaro AV46 rear Two different series (and traction levels) of tires..but the same brand.

Ther reason I keep the brands matched is due to carcass construction....I'ld like to keep expansion rate consistant.

Shoe a new bridgestone and never think about it again.

This is my point from what I have seen so far. They are completely independent in operation (braking, suspension, diff. axles/hubs, power vs. free rolling) so how can having to diff. makes of tire really matter?

I'm looking for some factual reasoning. If somebody has some I may go ahead and by a front and rear.

Honestly I've only heard opinion.

I've never really seen or heard a real story of an issue.

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 10 2007,20:06) I'll mix types ....but usually not brands.

I did run all the way to the gap from St. Pete...all over NC...and back with an OEM front and a pirelli dragon SC race take-off on the rear (only because the front pirelli turned out to be bad).
Not what I would normally do...but there wasn't anything 'dangerous' about it.

This next set going on after my pilots will be an Avon Viper AV59 front & Azaro AV46 rear Two different series (and traction levels) of tires..but the same brand.

Ther reason I keep the brands matched is due to carcass construction....I'ld like to keep expansion rate consistant.

Shoe a new bridstone and never think about it again.
What's up Hill-man? Seen the sunshine state much lately?

I would likely go w/ a Bridgestone again, but it's not my first choice. I've rummaged through enough carcasses in the commercial tire industry working for Michelin in the past that they do behave diffferently. Usually there is not much diff. between like brand casings (BS, MX, Dunlop, Pirelli). They use the same technology for the most part.

But MX did have the best made carcass in the commercial tire business...they were also the most expensive. In short, you get what you pay for.

The Busa appears to go 2:1 or 3:1 rear to front replacement. I'll be needing my second rear tire replacement in about 1500 miles. The front still looks good. I'm amazed. I've been running a Metzler on the rear and the factory Bridgestone on the front for the last 2500+ miles. I never thought about it, and haven't seen any differences. I understand the one comment about compounds. I guess if you were pushing it to the ragged edge in the twisties you might feel a difference.

I think some of this depends on your riding style. If you are just tourer and riding around town then no problem. If you love pushing limits and racing hard, then it could be a problem. Make sure the front is stickier than the rear. As Forest Gump would say, that is all I have to say about that. I would be to worried about it if you are an easy rider.

This is right up there with asking what is the best chain lube! Prepare for either lots of opinions or lots of flames.

That being said I have mixed tires for years but typically Only within same brand... Always with excellent results! Currently I have a Metzler M3 front with a Z6 rear on it for the winter months and will most likely get another set of M3's in the spring. Unless I find the Z6 sticking better than expected on a good dry road that is. Wouldn't find me whining about a little better tire mileage.

I did it once many years ago and did not like the results. Because of that, I'll not do it again.

With that said, it really depends on your riding style. I tend to push my tires fairly hard. My first front lasted to 5600 miles, exactly the time it took me to burn thru 2 rear (OE 'stones). No burnoffs, just riding.
If you mainly tour on your bike, and don't expect a whole lot from them....you'd probably not have any issues. Lots of folks have missmatched front and rear with no ill effects.

If you run hard, and like the twisties...I wouldn't do it. Run thru another B56, then maybe change to Pilot Powers or something.. I can't imagine what my bike would have felt like if I'd have put a PP on the back with the 'stone still on the front...it'd HAVE to felt wierd.

Different tires have different profiles and different compounds.... Each tire type is MADE to work in pairs.

ie; the Pilot Power has a very triangulated profile, and feels MUCH different than the Bridgestone. (in a good way). They also stick much better. While I slid the 'stone on corner exits several times, I have never (that I've felt) slid the PP's out of a corner.

Your choice, but like I said, it really depends on your riding style....

My .02

if i was a world-class racer i would never mix tires...however, since i am me and do not ride my tires at the outside edges of their abilities constantly, i do not worry about it...i just make sure i have the same type of tires on there (wouldn't run a touring tire with a sticky as you already mentioned) and i have never had any problems

i'm not disagreeing with BusaCruise since i have never had any training in this (maybe a tire guy can post up and inform me) but as far as expansion rates, etc. go, wouldn't they vary between a front and back just because of different amounts of rubber mass? just asking to satisfy my own curiousity

Yup, I've mixed brands.  No problem.

But since I've picked up the pace in the twisties, I use the same tires now.   Because I wear them both out at the same time.

If you're fast in the twisties, don't put a softer rear with a harder front  
SHOCKED.gif
I'd rather the rear step out then the front.
wink.gif

But then again if you're fast in the twisties, you normally wear both tires out almost equally.

Nicky and Rossi do it all the time! I think, and have been told the big problem was running a Bias tire with a Radial. But there are ones made to track with the other or so they would have you believe! I wouldn't run say a steel belted tour tire with a Kevlar belted sport tire! Hey your in Flat FL anyway! The best twisty i got here is in my neighbor hood!
super.gif
beerchug.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Jan. 10 2007,20:53) Nicky and Rossi do it all the time! I think, and have been told the big problem was running a Bias tire with a Radial. But there are ones made to track with the other or so they would have you believe! I wouldn't run say a steel belted tour tire with a Kevlar belted sport tire! Hey your in Flat FL anyway! The best twisty i got here is in my neighbor hood!
super.gif
beerchug.gif
Funny you mentioned that 8D8 because the best twisties w/in 15 miles are the ones right around or in my neighborhood development...we even have a round-about. you neighborhood looks very similat to mine from the pics you posted.:laugh:

Back