mix and match tires

xxxboatworks

Registered
Any problems mixing the front OE tire (Battlax) with a michelin pilot power rear? Just wondering if it is going to handle funny or do something it shouldn't. Thanks for any input

No

It would be best to match them up...just remember your front is worn and
the rear is fresh...I wouldn't push the front too much
wink.gif

All depends on what type of riding YOU do
biggrin.gif

I have the OE tires on the bike now and have new f/r set of pilot powers on the shelf, but only need to replace the rear tire right now. I hate to ditch the OE front that has about 60% left. I'll probably suck it up and just replace both to be safe. Anybody need a OE front that has 60% tread?? lol

Actually I sold one on eBay for $25 + shipping for that very reason!

Don't mix and match- it CAN be done, but do you really want different coefficients of friction on different tires? One is slicker compound so it breaks loose while the other still has lots of stick left? I don't think so....
rock.gif

no big deal! Althought the difference between the stock front and the pilot power or equivalent is substantial!

Should be ok to mix for general street riding, but if you are going to do some serious twisties or a track day, you may want to go the matched route. I have run a dunlap 208 rear with the stock front, a maxxix supermax with the stock front, a dunlap 208 with the maxxix front with no problems. At deals gap however, I felt it best to run a matched set .

Switch them together.
If you have only run on stockers after the switch, you will think you have a new bike.

I'm running the stock front with a Pilot Power rear with no problems at all. I'm not a super corner burner and have never pushed the stockers to the limit so I see no advantage in throwing away the stock front tire. I'll replace the front with a PP when I buy a new rear, most likely next year.

Back