Mixing tires?

too many toys

Registered
I just had my rear tire let go on the expressway today. Tried to repair it but no go. So I had to ride about 4 miles on a flat (very slowly). Anyway by the time I got home the rear tire was smoking so I assume it must be replaced.

My question is can I mix tire brands? I currently have Michelin pilots on it now but I found a Shinko rear on sale. Should I stay with the Michelin or can I use something else?

Oh yeah one more question: when I remove the rear wheel to bring it to the shop can I just unbolt the sprocket or do I have to take the chain off (I don't have a chain tool)?

Yes you can mix tires, a popular combination amongst Org members is to pair a Dunlop Q3 front tire with a Dunlop Roadsmart rear tire. That way you get the sport performance handling in the front and more longevity out of the rear tire.

As far as Shinko goes they I wouldn't put them on my busa unless I planned on running it on the drag strip.

i have mixed and matched numerous times without any issues. check with our vendors here you may get a better deal. hint hint...

Best set of tires I have personally tried on my Busa were a Metzler M3 Front Paired with a Z6 on the rear. Upside is that they wear out at approximately the same time.

Oh yeah one more question: when I remove the rear wheel to bring it to the shop can I just unbolt the sprocket or do I have to take the chain off (I don't have a chain tool)?

It's simpler than that. Just loosen up the rear wheel, unbolt rear caliper, pull out the axle and slide wheel forward. You'll be able to lift up chain and set it aside. Then slide the rear wheel out. The sprocket stays attached. No need to mess with that. Pull that off the wheel & you'll have just the wheel and cush drives left.

Dsc00034.jpg

Dsc00023.jpg

Dsc00023.jpg

Dsc00034.jpg

Back