Mixing tires

dezzy7

Registered
Ok I need a new rear but the front is fine. I've heard mixed reviews about mixing tires, but wanted to find out if it really matters that much. Thanks for the response

I had the same situation. I put on a different make rear tire, and rode it on the street, felt fine, then I took it to the track and it felt fine. The best thing I got out of it is that it was a Continental tire and it gripped the track better than the stock rear tire and it is cheaper in price. So I will keep that tire on the back side, then change the front to a continental also.

Unless you are professionally racing or someone looking to get that last 3% out of your bike, will probably not matter.
JMHO

I've done it several times. Had stock bt56 on front with metzler sportec m-1 on back. No problems. I also had a nail in bt10 in back, so I replaced with michelin race take-off while I had a bt12ss in front. Didn't have a problem. I think before radials, i.e. bias-ply tires, that mis-matched tires were a big problem. Radial tires are a lot more forgiving.

rock.gif

I mixed tires since I owned the bike...I'm not aggressive in the curves though...I never wear a front tire as quick as the rear...I'll go thru 4 or 5 rears before the front...Just make sure it not slick and stand in front of the bike and look down at the tire your looking for waves in the thread or pattern of the tire...If you see waves then the tire needs to be replaced...
evil.gif

Just an additional point. I like to ride the twisties in the mountains, and fairly aggressively. I've had no issues with mixing tires and riding fast and hard in both high-speed sweepers and the tight-stuff. This is just my experience. I've heard the same thing about mixing tires, but it doesn't seem to hold up.

I have heard that you shouldn't mix but I kinda figure that if you are riding on mixed tires that have about the same profile, IE both more round than tri-angular then you prolly wont have too much trouble. I would be concerned about putting a real sticky rear on while still wearing your OEM Slipstone up front though. Myself, I would always rather have the rear twitch, slide and be a little loose than having that front getting pushy. Just me though.

Just an additional point.  I like to ride the twisties in the mountains, and fairly aggressively.  I've had no issues with mixing tires and riding fast and hard in both high-speed sweepers and the tight-stuff.  This is just my experience.  I've heard the same thing about mixing tires, but it doesn't seem to hold up.
You took the exact words from my mouth - same here, I've got a BT56 front and 020 rear and ride fairly aggressively in twisties - seems to work beautiful.

I have Pirelli Evo's front and rear ,front is fine but i would prefer to put another same model tire
on the rear...all i can expect is no suprises while at max lean angle...I had a bad experiance once on my Ninja 900...Me33 Metz on the front and a Cheapo on the back..banged a couple of down shifts and saw the tailight....WooHoo could'a been ugly...my 2 cents...
wow.gif

Just an additional bit of detail, I have the oem BT56 up front and the newer 010 out back. The 010 is a much better tire than the BT56J was in just about every way I can think of.  The 010 has just about restored my faith in Bridgestone, it's predictable, grippy and forgiving out on the edges.  I recommend it and I may actually stick with Bridgstone after all.  I was ready to completely write them off and try something else but I am pretty darned happy.

Check this out Bridgstone 010 slide show, yeah I know it's just propaganda but interesting...

<span style='color:blue'>Bridgestone Slides</span>

For the most part I don't think it matters, I've certainly done it.

But some tyres, such as the Pirelli Diablos, claim to have a tread pattern that is specificlly designed to have a matching front and rear tyre so that the front tyre disperses the water correctly for a section of the rear that has less tread. That's the theory I've read about them anyway...not really sure if it holds water though, so to speak.
wow.gif

Ive run mixed tires for years. I have balled rubber, scraped peg, and drug knee. For street riding, its fine.

Just make sure that each tire of the set is a good tire, and they will each perform to their limit... the trick is, you just can cross the line for each tire.

<!--EDIT|NICKSLICK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073698696 -->

Just an additional bit of detail, I have the oem BT56 up front and the newer 010 out back. The 010 is a much better tire than the BT56J was in just about every way I can think of.  The 010 has just about restored my faith in Bridgestone, it's predictable, grippy and forgiving out on the edges.  I recommend it and I may actually stick with Bridgstone after all.  I was ready to completely write them off and try something else but I am pretty darned happy.

Check this out Bridgstone 010 slide show, yeah I know it's just propaganda but interesting...

I love em, wouldnt buy nothing else, cant beat the price and how long they last.

I love em, wouldnt buy nothing else, cant beat the price and how long they last.
How long do they last? in miles please... lol

Back