Stock front with bt 014 rear

jusmoov

Registered
I need a new back tire, the front still has plenty of meat on it. Can I mix the BT 014 rear with the stock front. I know tires are supposed to be mached sets, but I don't know if the 14's are same tread pattern as stock.

BT014 is a different tread pattern and I think the compound is softer. Its usually not a problem mixing tires as long as they are the same manufacturer and the same type of tire. As for being the same type of tire I mean sport tires with sport tires , not sport tires with touring tires. The BT014 is a better sport tire but I think the best choice would be to either change both front and rear tires or put on another BT56 on the rear and by the time you wear that one out you will be ready for a front tire too. If you just put the BT014 on the rear you might have some handling problems. These would be if you were riding hard in the corners with a harder front compound than on the rear, for just comuting you should'nt have any problems

I replaced my stock tires with BT014's late this fall, and I noticed that the bike tipped into corners quicker.  I wonder how much different the profile is....  anybody? I would be concerned about mixing the tires if the profiles were different.

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107459879 -->

I asked a similar question to some local racers and all said that you NEVER want to run a stickier tire on the back than on the front. You don't want to push the front out while the rear sticks. I'd go with a full set or go with another BT56 as was suggested already and wear the front out before replacing both as a set.

You will be fine. Next tire change do them both. It will just get better when you match the front and the back.

you will be fine with the 014 on the back and the stocker on the front.
i did it with a stocker and a dunlop 207 and was fine. then switched to a set of bt 014's. they do turn in faster with a full set and they are great tires. good luck
biggrin.gif

Back