New tire

trolleywire

Registered
Hi there,

I took the advice of some of you and had a new rear tire put on today. I put on a new rear BT 020 from the advice of my local shop. I do a lot of two-up touring and long hours in the seat. The front is still the stock. Is this a good tire for that purpose? also, is not changing the front as well to a BT 020 going to affect handling?

Thanks

Twire,
I have the same set up as you on my 00 blue/silver. I have put 8000 miles on it and there is still good safe tread left, that 020 is the bomb. I may not yank on the throttle as much as some, but sometimes me thinks I'm riding a cruise missile.:O

i ran that ire twice and it was fine. im running dunlop not on advice from a friend and i have no complaints with it either and im constantly wacking it on the street from vaious speeds and they both lasted over 2500 miles. but i dont do any power braking at all. it will be good for what your doing. peace and ride safe

The 020 is classified as a sport cruiser tire.

If you do any performance riding be advised that the 020 is a hard rubber compound.

When checked with a durometer the 020 has a rubber hardness factor in the 70's.

As a comparison the 010 has a hardness factor in the 50's, a much softer tire & a lot more grip. This also equates to a lot faster tire wear.

My other bike came from the factory with the 020. IMHO its a stone. Took it off after 2K with plenty of thread left.

The BT020 is lasting well on the rear of my '03, I find it moves around a little being a harder comp but I'm happy to live with that.

I will be going back to a BT10 or 12 for the front next time, the 20 on the front tends to wander out a little when pushed hard.

Cheers  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087052341 -->

Thanks everyone...I will scrub the 020 in today! I'm not much of a knee dragger and I'm not going to push this tire too hard in the twisties, so I'm pretty sure this tire is what I need for two-up touring. I do in a straight like though push it!!
biggrin.gif
I LOVE torque!
tounge.gif

Be careful on the scrubb.... if you are not hit the twisties or using the beast as a commuter it should be fine... commuter or twisties.... wear and slipp:O

I would say that the majority of riders I have seen would be better suited to a harder compound tire. Very few have the abilities to ride a tire to its potential. So unless you are dragging knees regularly, it is likely a good choice.

The cords on my rear bt020 showed themselves today. I do scrape the pegs and have logged unreal high speed avg times as well as enough WFO runs to water my eyes just thinking about it. All I can say is that the busa will break loose any tire no matter how soft. My new set of bt020's will arrive later this week. I think the road and rider are the biggest factors (as always), just ahead of judging what tires we're being told to mount imho.

... also, I wouldn't recommend the bt020 for someone who frequents a closed course. However most bikes (busas included) that ride with me are usually behind me...
smile.gif

Back