Air Filter

(Professor @ Jul. 27 2007,19:22)
(Ride_or_Fish @ Jul. 27 2007,20:14) BMC Race filter. It's the only way to go.    
firedevil.gif
Unless you ride it on the street and care about how well it filters the air. It is going to let in more dirt that the street version.
+1

(mrninja9 @ Jul. 22 2007,19:08) so nice sales pitch greg
SHOCKED.gif
Is that a problem?? He IS a site sponsor, is he not??
rock.gif

Besides, to date I haven't caught him not backing up what he said with facts.

(Shibumi @ Jul. 29 2007,10:38) BMC Race here. Clean it more often than Street version, less filter medium.
Cleaning it more often is not going to prevent the dirt from going through it compared to the street version.

The race version actually passes more particles of dirt through it then the street version when both are clean.

How much more is the magic question. Will you notice a difference if you put 10,000 miles on the bike and trade it off? Hard to say. If you ride on a dirt road or in dusty areas, an oil analysis is going to show the difference.

(Professor @ Jul. 29 2007,17:flamethrowing:)
(Shibumi @ Jul. 29 2007,10:38) BMC Race here. Clean it more often than Street version, less filter medium.
Cleaning it more often is not going to prevent the dirt from going through it compared to the street version.

The race version actually passes more particles of dirt through it then the street version when both are clean.

How much more is the magic question. Will you notice a difference if you put 10,000 miles on the bike and trade it off? Hard to say. If you ride on a dirt road or in dusty areas, an oil analysis is going to show the difference.
Yeah Rick, I try to stay the heck out of Oklahoma!!
laugh.gif

Remember, I live where there are TREES...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I believe, for what it's worth, that filter element selection also has something to do with climate and ecosystem. Here in the Nevada desert we have a micro-fine dust particulate that ends up layering all over everything if it's left standing long enough (Atomic testing leftovers ?, maybe, ]maybe not). That particulate is also in the air as a contaminant factor to the air quality. "That" and our humidity factor is very low keeping it aloft more of the time than not. Combine these conditions with an air filter that is more porous than others and you're allowing a friction building element into an environment (the engine) where we're looking to eliminate as much of that as we possibly can. Free contamination of the interior of the engine, i.e. not using a air filter element, is exposing a filtered and reasonably sterile environment to friction and deposit building factors not originally considered by the designers and builders of said powerplants. The dust and other larger particulate mixes with the oil residues and hardens under pressure and heat causing wear factors to increase the variables as well. Has anyone noticed the buildup on the throttle valves even with a stock air filter ?.

So as not to run a filter element, at all, is ridiculous unless you can figure out how run the engine in a vacuum, or sterile atmosphere. "Not happening" here on the ol' earth as of today.

For those where the ecosystem lessens the available microfine particulates....go ahead and run the easier breathing elements. Not as much "chance" of inhaling "as much" but still "some".

As for me ?, I run the stock simply out of respect for desert conditions. Besides, when it comes time to rebuild my motor, and I will rebuild my own motor........I don't want to see the leftovers of my own negligence staring me in the face. I'm about as big a purist for tight motors and preserving the internals as they come. Just because, if it's tight it's right, and anything else is just plain wrong.

Also to be considered is the racing performance, yes, but like it's been said, racers have highly tuned, custom mapped machines. They also have the luxury of a budget that allows for teardown, replacement, and rebuilds. So just because it has some name on it may not be reason to install it. Air filter element replacement isn't going to magically up your HP / torque numbers. It's a compliment to other modifications, "IF", that's your objective.

That's about enough out of me !!!!
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

(GPW @ Jul. 26 2007,14:53)
(rubber2burn @ Jul. 26 2007,09:04)
(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,20:24) I would be happy to send one to Johnny for testing.....just need an address.  
super.gif
I live right around the corner from Johnny send it to me and I will talk to him and we can test it in my Bike GPW
PM an address and I will get it out to you.....

Testing should proceed as such:

-Custom map with your current filter, stock preferrably.
-Swap current filter with Pipercross Race
-Check AFR for change
-If change is present (should be leaner and expect power drop until remap) remap and look at power gains or loss...also where power begins and where it drops off.

Same testing used by everyone testing these filters.

Thanks....address via PM please.
Test results
rock.gif

lurk.gif

I just got the Pipercross Street Filter from GPW. I have to say its definitely better than stock. It seems like I can open it up a little more - breathes better. It is definitely better than K&N (I had used K&N in my previous bike and it seemed like it restricted the bike a little compared to stock). Can't compare it to BMC, cause I have never used one. Pipercross gets my vote (lifetime warranty) Thanks GPW
bowdown.gif

(skotty @ Sep. 12 2007,09:10) I just got the Pipercross Street Filter from GPW.  I have to say its definitely better than stock.  It seems like I can open it up a little more - breathes better.  It is definitely better than K&N (I had used K&N in my previous bike and it seemed like it restricted the bike a little compared to stock).  Can't compare it to BMC, cause I have never used one.  Pipercross gets my vote (lifetime warranty)  Thanks GPW  
bowdown.gif
I have the street version as well and agree it flows better (perception) than OEM. I only say this because with my generic map i was running a little rich, as all of Brocks maps tend to do and when I put in the PiperX she started hesitating a bit.  I got my custom map she was running lean.

Unfortunately, I did not have the OEM for dyno comparisons. I am interested in seeing the test results on a dyno with Greg's testing procedure to find out when OEM is switched to PiperX and A/F is adjusted:

1) Is there a loss/gain of peak HP?

2) Is there a loss/gain of peak torque?

3) Is there a loss/gain of HP noticable in the low/mid/high rpm range?

4) Is there a loss/gain of torque noticable in the low/mid/high rpm range?

+1 on GPW and Greg's customer service.

i use the BMC race.

but have heard good things about GPWs pipercross product.

I was also told by the tuner i use locally that the K&N actually restricts airflow more than the stock filter.

Just found out from Adam he never received the filter so testing could not be completed... must have been a communication break down
rock.gif

PM sent to rubber2burn.

I'll send you my PiperX Street if JC will test it like Greg points out.  
super.gif

I had a member borrow it who had a slip-ons and a map for the PiperX and he started smoking out of the tail. Not sure why... new model... low miles... runs like a champ otherwise.

Hey Snap just sent a PM to Greg and just got off the phone with Johnny what I would like to see is new filters as I am sure Greg and Johnny will both agree as this will provide the best results.  Of couse we will Test to Greg's Spec's and then to Johnny's if he has any that he wants to see.  then as soon as the testing is done I will post all results and graphs.

I did not look back at this post so I did not see that Greg had replied to me guys so I am very sorry as i was the break down in communication here.

Greg: PM sent with mailing info and sorry for the break down

All I know is every bike that leaves here runs like a champ with our combo power packages, mail order maps are never point on like getting your bike custom mapped. Owners don't pay for anything unless its right, ride before you pay policy here. So seat of the pants is what they go by first then we show them the dyno sheets. Everyone comes back with that "grin"...........
beerchug.gif

320 bikes custom mapped here this year already (90) of which were Hayabusa's, not one person went home unhappy. I don't make the filters, Pipercross does. I can have any filter or part we need for our shop bikes. I use the Pipercross, previously used the BMC Race. Both are equal in my book, but the Pipercross comes with a Lifetime warranty. For those that have been to our shop....they already know we handle our business and some. All of our equipment is top shelf, not outdated.
super.gif

I also run the Pipercross Race filter. I have run pipercross filters in all my cars as well. I have always been a big fan of Pipercross products. They have wonderful parts and a great customer service rep as well. The lifetime warranty is tops in my book too.

Hey Snap just sent a PM to Greg and just got off the phone with Johnny what I would like to see is new filters as I am sure Greg and Johnny will both agree as this will provide the best results. ?Of couse we will Test to Greg's Spec's and then to Johnny's if he has any that he wants to see. ?then as soon as the testing is done I will post all results and graphs.

I did not look back at this post so I did not see that Greg had replied to me guys so I am very sorry as i was the break down in communication here.

Greg: PM sent with mailing info and sorry for the break down

<!--EDIT|rubber2burn|1190048184-->
This ever go anywhere
rock.gif

We have the Hayabusa RACE or STREET made by Pipercross of England. The filter is outstanding, flows just as good or better than the BMC race and it has a Lifetime Warranty. 85.00 for Org...members, just call.
I have a Pipercross myself... good price at $85

Does not have the flow issues of the K&N on the dyno either

Back