Air Filter

Saxoplay

Donating Member
Registered
Which is best from a performance stand point...

1. stay with stock filter.
2. replace w/K&N filter.
3. replace w/BMC filter.

Can anyone please provide me with some insight one way or the other....thanks!

Only other mods I have are Yosh bolt-ons and a PCIII.

Stock in mine, Im older
wow.gif
and cheap $30

hfa3907.jpg

was gonna stay stock but scored a killer deal on a BMC Race (thanks to Ninja Killer)

i've got the k&n in mine not a huge difference but just a it doesnt feel like it bogs at all in 5th or 6th gear in the lower rpms anymore

BMC race for me but you can't go wrong with either the BMC or K&N .They will pay for themselves in the long run.

We have the Hayabusa RACE or STREET made by Pipercross of England. The filter is outstanding, flows just as good or better than the BMC race and it has a Lifetime Warranty. 85.00 for Org...members, just call.

Not confirmed, but I seem to recall ol' Johnnycheese talking about the stock being just fine for what the busa needs.

I would be happy to send one to Johnny for testing.....just need an address.
super.gif

(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,20:24) I would be happy to send one to Johnny for testing.....just need an address.  
super.gif
The testing is pretty simple, as a AMA professional tuner stated to me last week while testing the Pipercross filter on their race bikes, tune a bike with any filter of your choosing, pull the filter install the Pipercross "RACE" see if the AFR changes, if so remap and then test for peak power gains or loss or positive shift of peak power curve.

Johnnycheese used to say no filter at all
wink.gif

Aftermarket filters are better because you can clean them instead of replacing them. Its cheaper than replacing stock after stock after stock...

I have a BMC race.

Could someone in the know tell us about 1) what the other filters allow through vs. stock ( dirt )

2) any dyno comparisons

3) cost and up keep

I've read numerous times that the stock filter out performs the K&N and BMC. Don't know about the race filters or the one from England. Also if you don't get the tune have you really gained anything by changing
rock.gif

dadofthree,
agree with last point you raised, which is why I am getting a dyno/tune (PCIII) to get the most out of my YOSH Full RS-3 & BMC Race filter.

All this filter changing really depends on if you've mod'ed the engine. If you stay Stock, from what I've read and heard your stock filter is best. But, if you do engine mods, As in Pipes full or Slip On and/or put a PC and Air Box mods, a stock filter will hurt you. If you do the engine mods,  you really need to go somewhere that can MAP your bike on a Dyno. If not, you'll only screw up your gas mileage AND performance  
race.gif

Went with BMC. Had the shop replace it while they were doing my 12k service. It feels like I may have lost some low-end. For those of you that have the BMC, does that seem about right?

so nice sales pitch greg
SHOCKED.gif

i have a bmc in mine thanks to yammi

i love it for the money you cant beat it

i am with some of you stay stock but kn or bmc for the money and if you have your bike 10 years it saved you round 100 bucks

Back