Air Filter

(dadofthree @ Jul. 12 2007,21:07) Could someone in the know tell us about 1) what the other filters allow through vs. stock ( dirt )

2) any dyno comparisons

3) cost and up keep

I've read numerous times that the stock filter out performs the K&N and BMC. Don't know about the race filters or the one from England. Also if you don't get the tune have you really gained anything by changing
rock.gif
I think all too often people get the "RACE" spec everything and forget that most racers have highly tuned (properly mapped) machines.

I agree, getting a high flow filter and a downloaded or shared map is not the way to the winners circle. When you put the same package on three different Hayabusa's and they all pull 160HP SAE.....we see it as a good mod. (2) AMA teams are being sponsored by HPC next season with Pipercross Filters, the Pipercross finished with high marks in testing, I can't release who the teams are right now because they are currently using my filters and are currently sponsored by another air filter company. I'll spill the beans at the end of the season.
cool.gif
Web tuning, leaves out a lot of variables...

Most of our customers are on the high-end of the scale, wanting the "best of the best"....we try our hardest to get it right the first time.

I run a K&N. Why, habit mostlikely. Been running them since the 70's, big difference on the RD's then. And cost savings, 1filter. The big thing I see is a lot is that people way over oil them. It has been brought up on the .org several times that I've seen, air flow- oil vs dry or stock filters. I find it may have some truth, especially when I see some K&N's that are so soaked that the oil is dripping off them
wow.gif
. I lightly coat mine and let it sit. Making sure it looks evenly colored esp. in folds. I've never had a problem.

Any air flow info off a dyno on any filters is always great to see.

(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,20:24) I would be happy to send one to Johnny for testing.....just need an address.  
super.gif
Send it to me,,,got an apt 7-28 with the cheeseman for a map...We can test it on my ride.
tounge.gif

(NoFearSpear @ Jul. 22 2007,18:06)
(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,20:24) I would be happy to send one to Johnny for testing.....just need an address.  
super.gif
Send it to me,,,got an apt 7-28 with the cheeseman for a map...We can test it on my ride.  
tounge.gif
No disrespect but most official test machines are newer than 02. We use brand new or like new bikes for all testing because the history is short and there are less likely to be other issues impairing performance.

What if I am not really looking for performance. Just a good filter. I have Yosh slip ons and nothing else. I don't have a pc III and don't want to change anything, can I still get a better filter without having to remap??

(whitebusa @ Jul. 25 2007,23:11) What if I am not really looking for performance.  Just a good filter.  I have Yosh slip ons and nothing else.  I don't have a pc III and don't want to change anything,  can I still get a better filter without having to remap??
Unless you are going to put 75k miles on the bike, stay with the stock one. It filters well, it performs well, some tests show better perfromance than the K&N. You can find take offs with no or low miles for $20 or less on the board. It is good for 10K miles in most conditions. So in you case, why change?

Does it hurt the bike not to run a filter at all? I was just advised to change the oil more frequently.

(GPW @ Jul. 22 2007,18:28)
(NoFearSpear @ Jul. 22 2007,18:06)
super.gif
tounge.gif
No disrespect but most official test machines are newer than 02. We use brand new or like new bikes for all testing because the history is short and there are less likely to be other issues impairing performance.
I'm setting up with JC as well. 03 with 3k miles. PCIII & full exhaust. Otherwise stock...
rock.gif

super.gif
I live right around the corner from Johnny send it to me and I will talk to him and we can test it in my Bike GPW

(rubber2burn @ Jul. 26 2007,09:04)
super.gif
I live right around the corner from Johnny send it to me and I will talk to him and we can test it in my Bike GPW
PM an address and I will get it out to you.....

Testing should proceed as such:

-Custom map with your current filter, stock preferrably.
-Swap current filter with Pipercross Race
-Check AFR for change
-If change is present (should be leaner and expect power drop until remap) remap and look at power gains or loss...also where power begins and where it drops off.

Same testing used by everyone testing these filters.

Thanks....address via PM please.

(GPW @ Jul. 26 2007,14:53)
(rubber2burn @ Jul. 26 2007,09:04)
super.gif
PM an address and I will get it out to you.....

Testing should proceed as such:

-Custom map with your current filter, stock preferrably.
-Swap current filter with Pipercross Race
-Check AFR for change
-If change is present (should be leaner and expect power drop until remap) remap and look at power gains or loss...also where power begins and where it drops off.

Same testing used by everyone testing these filters.

Thanks....address via PM please.
Now THAT'S sponser support. Let's just make sure we throw the support back.

super.gif

super.gif

(Southside Playa @ Jul. 26 2007,06:47) Does it hurt the bike not to run a filter at all? I was just advised to  change the oil more frequently.
Never in my life would I ever consider this.

Here is the thing, if you take your air filter off, you will see all the junk that it keeps out. Granted, I am sure that it's not perfect, but still, the whole point of this thing is to keep random junk out of the engine.

When I pulled mine off at 14k (I bought the bike at 12k) and placed the K&N in there, there wasn't a lot of debris, but there was some dirt, a few dry blades of grass, and just gunk on the filter.

If you don't have that, all that crap could theoretically get into your engine. I guess you could equate it to the safety cord on a parachute. You may never ever need it as a skydiver. But I can assure you, the minute you do need it, you will very much regret not having it.

(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 12 2007,20:34) Johnnycheese used to say no filter at all  
wink.gif

Aftermarket filters are better because you can clean them instead of replacing them.  Its cheaper than replacing stock after stock after stock...

I have a BMC race.
But wasn't that for a run at the drag strip? Not for everyday riding.

You'll have a hard time getting me to believe that running w/out an air filter won't have damaging effects.

(Ride_or_Fish @ Jul. 27 2007,20:14) BMC Race filter. It's the only way to go.    
firedevil.gif
Unless you ride it on the street and care about how well it filters the air. It is going to let in more dirt that the street version.

(Saxoplay @ Jul. 12 2007,19:12) Which is best from a performance stand point...

1. stay with stock filter.
2. replace w/K&N filter.
3. replace w/BMC filter.

Can anyone please provide me with some insight one way or the other....thanks!

Only other mods I have are Yosh bolt-ons and a PCIII.
I have Viper race bolt ons and a Cobra pc and the BMC street filter made a noticeable seat of the pants diff. And the street filter filters alittle better than the race. But if you want the best engine protection your not gonna beat stock
wink.gif

(Saxoplay @ Jul. 24 2007,21:06) bump!  So, is that a "yes" on the low-end loss?
I noticed no loss at all with my BMC and my low end....if anything I might have gained a bit. But I also adjusted my Cobra pc for the BMC. Even tho I just have Viper race cans and the BMC I got a BIG improvement when I adjusted my pc to match. Believe it or not you will prolly see an improvement overall if you play with your pc abit. Just take some time and don't go crazy rich....more fuel only makes more power to a point....alot of guys forget that I think
wink.gif

(The Big Red One @ Jul. 27 2007,20:55)
(Saxoplay @ Jul. 24 2007,21:06) bump!  So, is that a "yes" on the low-end loss?
I noticed no loss at all with my BMC and my low end....if anything I might have gained a bit. But I also adjusted my Cobra pc for the BMC. Even tho I just have Viper race cans and the BMC I got a BIG improvement when I adjusted my pc to match. Believe it or not you will prolly see an improvement overall if you play with your pc abit. Just take some time and don't go crazy rich....more fuel only makes more power to a point....alot of guys forget that I think  
wink.gif
Thanks.....I'll give that a try!

Back