ABS Busa 2010?

Yep but the question being why only 38% and not 100%.
In certain conditions ABS can be dangerous.

I would recommend reading this SCIENTIFIC study to answer your question, as it may also change your thoughts about ABS and motorcycles. Up until reading this I had no real opinion regarding ABS equipped motorcycles because I mostly drag race and my street rides seldom go over 200 miles so I didn't think this would benifit me in any way, after reading,I feel that this would be of a great value to anyone who has to ride in a evnviornment that involves relying on sharing the road with others who may not care about your safety. Will this save your life while stopped at an intersection and get hit from behind-no,could it save your life while hustling though your favorite set of corners out in the sticks after some careless farmer let diesel fuel splash out of his tank all over the middle of what was your perfect line of entry-if it helps you stop or slow down by a huge margin over smacking that oak tree at, or near full speed, congrats-you have just become a 38%'er:thumbsup: For its intended benifit I think I would rather have, than have not.
Busa 159, thanks for sharing such a fact filled bit of great information,as I can now call myself, at least, knowledgeable about ABS on bikes:bowdown:

I find it funny how people generalize a mature rider as being a slow rider. I've ridden with Busa159, well tried to anyway, and he is an accomplished rider. I doubt that you would be able to keep up with him.

My first comment about owning a 200 mph motorcycle and riding it within the speed limit was not directed at 159 or any one in particular. It was just a thought. I realize there are a couple people who just like the the look and the feel of the bike and they like to ride it at a speed that is reasonable to avoid accidents and tickets. That really is fine with me. I have a hard time believing there are a lot of Hayabusa owners who fit that mold though.

Furthermore, this is a guy who not only rides for a hobby but also rides a Busa as a work vehicle. I tend to take what he has to say about riding as educated advice.

I know of several other riders with a great deal of knowledge who advise me on everything from modding to riding technique. Sometimes their opinions are wrong for me. That's the main reason to get more than one opinion.

Perhaps I am having too big of a mouth, being so new here to your busa forum. Some people think of a public forum as a place for anyone to speak exactly as they wish. I'm a believer in earning the respect to say anything any any time. I did not like any newcomers poking fun at longtime board members on my old forum. Hope I didn't seem to be one of those people. I didn't intend that at all.

I still don't want ABS on my bike though.:lol:

Mythos

Hasn't European Union proposed a directive (=law) that every street bike must have ABS version available starting 2010.

I would recommend reading this SCIENTIFIC study to answer your question, as it may also change your thoughts about ABS and motorcycles. Up until reading this I had no real opinion regarding ABS equipped motorcycles because I mostly drag race and my street rides seldom go over 200 miles so I didn't think this would benifit me in any way, after reading,I feel that this would be of a great value to anyone who has to ride in a evnviornment that involves relying on sharing the road with others who may not care about your safety. Will this save your life while stopped at an intersection and get hit from behind-no,could it save your life while hustling though your favorite set of corners out in the sticks after some careless farmer let diesel fuel splash out of his tank all over the middle of what was your perfect line of entry-if it helps you stop or slow down by a huge margin over smacking that oak tree at, or near full speed, congrats-you have just become a 38%'er:thumbsup: For its intended benifit I think I would rather have, than have not.
Busa 159, thanks for sharing such a fact filled bit of great information,as I can now call myself, at least, knowledgeable about ABS on bikes:bowdown:

There is no doubt that in certain condition an ABS system can help the rider to brake safer thus the 38%. However there is also occasions where it can be a disadvantage, ice, wet grass, wet road, sand road, grit on tar etc.

I am not against ABS on bikes I just feel that I have never been in a situation
where the bike's brakes was the limiting factor. Lets face it good bikes have awesome brakes.

Driving according to the conditions of the road, in my opinion, is more beneficial than being dependent on ABS to keep you safe.

However I again would like to see traction control on bikes which I think will be more beneficial as it helps with the stability and road holding of the bike.

Keep Well???

"Unfortunately, ABS cannot scan the pavement ahead and make minor adjustments to braking pressure to optimize stopping power. Today's systems leave that job to the rider. The ability to look ahead and decide to reduce braking pressure, or to increase it, explains why a skilled rider can often out-stop someone who just squeezes the brakes as hard as possible and lets ABS take over. While ABS will save your butt, it is as yet not totally efficient (in terms of stopping distances) in modulating the brake pressure, no matter how fast the computer and hydraulics work."

The quote above from the scientific article says it all.
An experienced driver is still superior in braking safely!

We are all at risk when we start driving bikes but if you are wise you will read a lot, talk to your mates and do enough riding to learn what is required.
After riding bikes awhile we all become experienced drivers some better than others.

By driving according to the conditions of the road and using some common sense you can reduce your risk considerably but let's face it if you ride a bike you are at risk.

The other day whilst driving in the left lane a car pulled in front of me unexpectedly. No ABS or driver experience would have saved me. All that I could do was scream!??? Luckily he saw me at the last moment and swerved back. I can assure you that when I now pass on the left I am very carefull.

I simply feel that depending on ABS too much can give you a false sense of security. Driver experience and being carefull is more important.

Sorry I feel strongly about driver competence???

Last edited:
Check: Figure 4. Wet Pavement Braking

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

About Weight:
"BMW's system adds $1000 and 20 pounds to the equivalent non-ABS models. Honda's system weighs 11 pounds and raises the ST's price tag by $1900 (though to be fair, that also includes the Traction Control System, which we will test in a future issue). The Yamaha is the light-weight king at 9 pounds, adding $1200 to the FJ's retail price."

It would be a good idea on all motorcycles, but you will see many objections to it.
Way too early to have any idea what 2010 model will have.
Honda has a brake by wire anti lock system this year (optional)

Not a good option for Captain to get :poke:

i had an ABS system on my BMW gs1150 and it was great for slippery road surfaces..I'd like to have one of them on my busa too..However i don't thing that a bike like hayabusa needs that system.
When you buy a hayabusa you supposed to have a lot of driving experience so you know how to stop a bike.Isn't it?

I think I posted this early in the this threads life, but I'll mention it again.

Wasn't the BKing available with ABS? Does anyone know if the system could work on the Busa since the bikes are so similar?

I've got to call BS on anyone who thinks thier skill level will allow them to out-perform ABS. Honestly, most anyone who really knew and understood an ABS system's capabilities wouldn't make the claim. To me, it sounds about the same as one of those guys out there who will swear that they drive better drunk, despite the fact that in the physical world that we currently occupy, that claim is truly, in fact, impossible.

When brakes are applied too firmly, the wheels are attempting to stop the vehicle faster than it is physically able to stop. ABS modulators are able to pulse the brakes in excess of 20 times per second with absolute precision. Each time releasing the brakes the instant before this happens, just long enough to maintain positive traction, then reapllying to the braking point again.

It is physically impossible for us, as human beings, to do this. Even if you were able to think that fast, with that precision, the time it takes your brain signals to cause your muscles to apply and re-apply the brake would not allow for these speeds.

"Unfortunately, ABS cannot scan the pavement ahead and make minor adjustments to braking pressure to optimize stopping power. Today's systems leave that job to the rider. The ability to look ahead and decide to reduce braking pressure, or to increase it, explains why a skilled rider can often out-stop someone who just squeezes the brakes as hard as possible and lets ABS take over. While ABS will save your butt, it is as yet not totally efficient (in terms of stopping distances) in modulating the brake pressure, no matter how fast the computer and hydraulics work."

The quote above from the scientific article says it all.
An experienced driver is still superior in braking safely!

The quote above doesn't say anything of the sort. It only explains how a good rider without ABS is at times able to stop better than an unskilled rider with ABS. The skilled rider would plan for up-comming conditions vs. the unskilled rider. That is not him out-performing ABS.

You take that same skilled rider, who plans for up-comming conditions, and he would still be better off with ABS.

That said, I still understand people that would rather be lighter and faster than to have ABS. In fact, I'm probably one of em.

Considering that in an emergency stop situation an ABS can detect and adjust for wheel lock-up something like 15-18 time per second, I think I'd opt for ABS because my redneck brain doesn't work that quickly. A skid has less stopping force than a controlled stop, the friction of a skidding tire heats the rubber to the point that it liquefies so you're trying to stop, control direction of travel and balance 500lbs + your weight on top of a slick spot!

Yes, ABS can't read road conditions so it isn't capable of adjusting braking force, it only modulates the force applied by the rider. A rider can't just squeeze the piss out of the brakes thinking that the ABS is going to kick in and save the day. ABS combined with the proper amount of braking force can produce reduced stopping distance.

Back