ABS Busa 2010?

Eventually ABS will be across the board. I remember recently reading this.....Here goes my memory recall, if I recall correctly there was a large% decrease in crashes/fatalities for ABS equipped motorcycles. (I will look it up)
This will not go unnoticed.
The fed is very aware of the motorcycle fatality count.
A large problem with motorcycle crashes is the rider takes no action or improper action prior to collision. Improper action usually includes over or under braking.
It does not matter how long you have been riding on the street or on the track, no one can foresee all conditions on the street. The surface never remains constant. Oil, grease, anti-freeze, sand, gravel, WET LEAVES, water, and the coefficient of friction changes all the time. ABS is a safety net, added weight makes little difference on the street.
The big problem is change and the human ego. Some riders believe they can modulate the brakes more than 6 times a second or threshold brake every time all the time.
How many people practice threshold braking on a regular basis? If ever?

- MCN Roadtest: ABS Equipped Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade tested[/url]

I want to ability to go fast(that's why I bought a Buse)....BUT in reality I am on the public roads somewhat obeying the speed limits most of the times. IF I was on the straight track looking for all it is worth...hell I might remove the brakes altogether (worlds fastest indian). On the streets the number 1 cause of bike wrecks is other drivers pulling out in front of you. When that happens you HAVE to stop as fast as you can while staying upright and in some control. No one is making anyone buy an ABS system bike....I will look at them seriously when available, I will look to lose weight in other areas.

the video of the bike going from dry, to wet, to sand while braking hard is really awesome.

IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, most good riders can brake fine without ABS, in much the same way people born and raised driving cars without ABS can function normally. ABS is a nice crutch, but a rider who knows what they're doing will be able to match, if not out-perform an ABS system in most conditions, imo.

Busa159, maturity of the owner is not the question; it is if having ABS on a bike from the factory; regardless of options will be beneficial, not weather or not it is something to tack on for more cautious or more elder riders. The added weight may be a concern for many riders, myself included, but it is not enough to prevent the manufacturers from adding ABS as a staple to many of their bikes. This is something that we will se coming down the pipe, for good or bad is yet to be decided.

Your right, I don't know what I am talking about, sorry to waste your time.

I had a nasty experience with a Toyota Hilux Diesel 2007 that ran away in a parking garage because of wet tyres and it being a steep downhill. It simply kept going with the ABS letting go every time the tyres slipped.
I saved it by cranking up the handbrake.

Not sure if I would like that on a my Busa.

The above showed that human intervention was still superior! ???

Last edited:
I dont think it is fair for anyone to compare a cycle ABS system with a car/truck ABS system. Granted, many of us have not ridden ABS bikes, so we automatically use cars as our comparison. I would CONSIDER an abs bike if the weight was little to no extra. However I have a car with ABS and one without ABS... in Minnesota, where in towns you ROUTINELY lock up brakes at intersections just stopping normally, ABS IS A GODSEND! But again that is cars, on ICE/SNOW. Locking them up on tar, has been little noticable difference IMO. That said, I can promise you, in the winter with snow and ice, in an emergency situation that you need to stop NOW... people do not pump the brakes. (off rant)

I would consider ABS on a street bike.

Your right, I don't know what I am talking about, sorry to waste your time.

Sorry to waste your time, I thought this is a forum for open minded people who share a passion. My major problem with many of the statistics that support ABS on motorcycles is the age and riding style of the riders. I don't think that it gives the manufacturers a fair cross-section of the riding community, and I think that they know it, but are under pressure from governments and lobbyist groups.

Again, sorry to be a pain.

Sorry to waste your time, I thought this is a forum for open minded people who share a passion. My major problem with many of the statistics that support ABS on motorcycles is the age and riding style of the riders. I don't think that it gives the manufacturers a fair cross-section of the riding community, and I think that they know it, but are under pressure from governments and lobbyist groups.

Again, sorry to be a pain.

your right abs cannot help you, your an expert rider :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes absolutely, ABS, traction control, electronic stability control and tire pressure monitor is not for experts.

Generally, this is a mature rider web site. Most do not care about being faster than the next guy. Most riders here, ride there own ride. Squids feel the need to impress people.
You may be on the wrong web site.

I completely respect anyone's right to buy a 200 mph motorcycle and ride it within the speed limit at all times. I don't get it, but I respect it. Some people just like the bike. I'd even even be happy to ride with a 100% law abiding biker once in a while and I'd have no problem slowing down a little. Legal riding is still fun and can be very relaxing(albeit more so on a cruiser).

As far as me impressing people with my squidlyness, trust me, the more people there are to see me, the slower I go. Open highway, 5AM is the time for 100+. Have to admit, though, if someone looks like they want a show, I'll usually give'em some.:devil:

Mythos

Last edited:
One common misconception about ABS is that you can stop in a shorter distance than compared to a vehicle without ABS. This is false. It takes a longer distance to stop the vehicle with ABS. I am a truck driver (13 years and over 1 million miles of experience).
Ive driven trucks with and without abs, I prefer the ones with ABS,especially when I am hauling 40,000 pounds of cargo. What abs does is alow you to maintain control without locking up the brakes so if you need to you can steer around and avoid the crash. I dont understand why you would WANT to lock up the brakes. I did that once on Kawi gpz 750 and it locked up the front brake and the next thing i know im break dancing down the pavement. I also find it hard to believe that on that Honda that its JUST the ABS system that added 22 pounds to the bike,thats an aweful lotta wieght for just a brake system.

One common misconception about ABS is that you can stop in a shorter distance than compared to a vehicle without ABS. This is false. It takes a longer distance to stop the vehicle with ABS.

Not on ice...if you lock them up on ice, the tires will create enough friction to make a super thin sheet of water and hydroplaning you go... Yes you have control, but you do stop quicker in icy conditions.

ABS is nice for keeping the bike straight while braking on slippery conditions, but, in most cases, I still prefer bikes without it.

In general, most good riders can brake fine without ABS, in much the same way people born and raised driving cars without ABS can function normally. ABS is a nice crutch, but a rider who knows what they're doing will be able to match, if not out-perform an ABS system in most conditions, imo.

Busa159, maturity of the owner is not the question; it is if having ABS on a bike from the factory; regardless of options will be beneficial, not weather or not it is something to tack on for more cautious or more elder riders. The added weight may be a concern for many riders, myself included, but it is not enough to prevent the manufacturers from adding ABS as a staple to many of their bikes. This is something that we will se coming down the pipe, for good or bad is yet to be decided.
+1 on all the above.

In 35 years of riding, I have yet to lock up the front wheel on any bike, and I am no expert rider.

I think there appears to be a lot of "ego" involved with owning an ABS system.. I for one have never ridden a bike with ABS and so can not really comment on how it feels.. I wonder how many here have ridden a new ABS equipped bike?

I was however involved with GM when ABS first came out.. It was HILARIOUS!! we used the City of Mesa PD as a supply of drivers.. Almost without fail the concensous was "Oh I can do better without the ABS" .. after a week of trials, every single guy came back in favor of the system... (the reason for using the cops is that the new Chevy's came out with ABS and the cops were crashing the cars at an alarming rate due to "pumping" the ABS equipped cars, did not work very well)

Most admitted they thought they were a better judge of "how much brake" they could apply.. But with the trial that was setup (pop up targets) there was a tremendous advantage to just learning to "react" to the target than trying to "react and modulate" the vehicle brakes... yea this was a lot of years ago but I am willing to bet, the same "I am smarter and faster than the computer" is still alive and well...

I would be more than happy to ride one and see what it feels like..

Back