ABS Busa 2010?

in my history on bikes....my right foot is on the brake at all time...right hand is working the throttle AND the brake. In a reaction situation, my brake foot hits the rear brake first, with so much forward weight, the rear often locks. If there is any lean at all, the result is often the bike goes down and slides. Just my thoughts.

I dont think it is fair for anyone to compare a cycle ABS system with a car/truck ABS system. Granted, many of us have not ridden ABS bikes, so we automatically use cars as our comparison. I would CONSIDER an abs bike if the weight was little to no extra. However I have a car with ABS and one without ABS... in Minnesota, where in towns you ROUTINELY lock up brakes at intersections just stopping normally, ABS IS A GODSEND! But again that is cars, on ICE/SNOW. Locking them up on tar, has been little noticable difference IMO. That said, I can promise you, in the winter with snow and ice, in an emergency situation that you need to stop NOW... people do not pump the brakes. (off rant)

I would consider ABS on a street bike.

I can't agree in a certain circumstances it simply does not work!
My post above and wet grass being examples.
No reason why ABS on a bike will be better.:whistle:

Last edited:
Sorry to waste your time, I thought this is a forum for open minded people who share a passion. My major problem with many of the statistics that support ABS on motorcycles is the age and riding style of the riders. I don't think that it gives the manufacturers a fair cross-section of the riding community, and I think that they know it, but are under pressure from governments and lobbyist groups.

Again, sorry to be a pain.

Well said!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

+1 on all the above.

In 35 years of riding, I have yet to lock up the front wheel on any bike, and I am no expert rider.

To let go of brakes when the front wheel/s lock up and then reaplying it softer and then controlling the stop takes guts and know how which only comes with experience.

I had a Nissan 4x4 that was dreadfull on wet roads. You learn quickly after a few close shaves.:whistle:

ABS is a nice feature. I would love to still have the option to order it if I wanted or the ability to turn it off when I track ride etc!

No reason why ABS on a bike will be better.:whistle:
Because you have problems with ABS does not mean it is the systems fault.. you may in fact be inducing the issue.. (not the first time it has happened)

ABS is used in any racing circuit it is allowed along with traction control.. there really is a reason for it..

I would like to have ABS (option) on the rear brake only. This is the one most often over applied due to the shift in weight during braking.
I can get on the front brake in dry conditions enough to get the tire squirming and then ease up a bit. The back is much harder to get the feedback.
The extra cost is whats more prohibitive than weight to me.

I completely respect anyone's right to buy a 200 mph motorcycle and ride it within the speed limit at all times. I don't get it, but I respect it. Some people just like the bike. I'd even even be happy to ride with a 100% law abiding biker once in a while and I'd have no problem slowing down a little. Legal riding is still fun and can be very relaxing(albeit more so on a cruiser).

As far as me impressing people with my squidlyness, trust me, the more people there are to see me, the slower I go. Open highway, 5AM is the time for 100+. Have to admit, though, if someone looks like they want a show, I'll usually give'em some.:devil:

Mythos

I find it funny how people generalize a mature rider as being a slow rider. I've ridden with Busa159, well tried to anyway, and he is an accomplished rider. I doubt that you would be able to keep up with him.

Furthermore, this is a guy who not only rides for a hobby but also rides a Busa as a work vehicle. I tend to take what he has to say about riding as educated advice.

ABS should be an option. I have ridden on bikes that have ABS and non-ABS brakes. A well designed ABS system is transparent until you loose traction suddenly while braking. There have been times ABS saved my butt. There have been times I needed it and didn't have it. I know how to handle standard brakes very well. I practice threshold braking once or twice every month that I ride on all my bikes. I even did that on my FJR that had ABS. ABS isn't designed to be a crutch. A bad rider will crash even with it. An ABS braking system will always out modulate a human because we can't move our muscles fast enough to produce 60+ pulses per second. If Suzuki produced a system like Yamaha has I would entertain the idea of getting one eventually. Not everyone will like it. All you naysayers should ride a bike with a good ABS system (i.e. Yamaha FJR) before you talk trash about it. Chances are you won't even know when it's working.

I would love to ride a bike with ABS. However, until I hear about some demo days locally, I'm going to remain skeptical.

I find it funny how people generalize a mature rider as being a slow rider. I've ridden with Busa159, well tried to anyway, and he is an accomplished rider. I doubt that you would be able to keep up with him.

Furthermore, this is a guy who not only rides for a hobby but also rides a Busa as a work vehicle. I tend to take what he has to say about riding as educated advice.
:rofl: you made me spit coffee on my keyboard.. I think about that lowered bike of yours and that Steve can scrape his plastics.. almost comical :rofl:

It's not new technology. Refined maybe but not new. BMW was the first to use it in the late 90's.

Dont the Goldwings come standard with it as well as the HD full dresser?

:rofl: you made me spit coffee on my keyboard.. I think about that lowered bike of yours and that Steve can scrape his plastics.. almost comical :rofl:

It's not lowered that much. But yeah, my plastics dont even get close:laugh:

Given the statistics in support of ABS, I think i saw a thread somewhere talking about the NTSB wanting to make it required as standard equipment on all motorcycles....

The Bimmer people swear by em - and the K1200S is no slouch...

well, to be fair, there is nothing to cover all the possibilities in the "what if" department. it might not stop great in wet grass, but maybe with better braking the rider could get it slowed on the pavement BEFORE hitting the wet grass. it would be a great start at the very least.

No reason why ABS on a bike will be better.

i curious as to how it could be worse. how many people when braking hard unconsciously apply too much pressure to the rear brake and wind up laying the bike down?

if it can help a rider i'm all for it.

for the record though, i also don't think it would help with sheer cliffs, asteroids, or zombies... :laugh:

So, to get back to the subject of Busa's and ABS....just what would be involved in moving the B-King ABS over to the busa? Is it a bolt on thing? Where is the controller for the ABS?

Yep but the question being why only 38% and not 100%.
In certain conditions ABS can be dangerous.

Er, don't mean to insult you Pine, but your statement is nonsense.

A reduction in fatalities of "only" 38% does not mean that in 62% of cases the ABS did not help or made thing worse.

Furthermore, I would ask you to justify your claim that "in certain conditions ABS can be dangerous." How so? And in which conditions exactly?

Back