ABS Busa 2010?

Could be a very high possibility Since the B-KING had it as an option .

It would be a good idea on all motorcycles, but you will see many objections to it.
Way too early to have any idea what 2010 model will have.
Honda has a brake by wire anti lock system this year (optional)

Last edited:
I would think early models introduction would be OPTIONAL .
So it does not hurt sales numbers.

Slipper clutch, crossplane engine, now ABS. You'd have all your traction needs covered (assuming the gadgets work as described by manufacturers). I like the idea of computer/mechanically controlled traction if it works better than my riding skills. Far as ABS is concerned, it's too heavy to be worth the added safety. The Honda's system adds ~60 lbs. Almost none of us are willing to sacrifice performance for aditional safety. It's more the other way around if you ask me. I'm looking for speed and that often brings an element of danger with it regardless of the safety equipment you have.

Another thing, I haven't ever locked my wheel for fun but if I want to do it some time, I want to be able to do it.

Another, nother thing, the more built-in hazard control we have, the harder we will push.......except we're not relying on our own instincts anymore - it's the bike's. If there's a problem, you don't know what to do if you've come to rely on the bike to do your riding. Remember Luke Skywalker learning the light saber?? "Use The Force, Luke."

Mythos

where did you find the info that the Honda ABS weighs in at 60 pounds more than a standard brake system... I am finding that one pretty hard to swallow... car systems do not weigh that much more..

also think you are probably wrong about the safety vs weight argument.. ABS has proven to be quite remarkable on the safety side and so I really believe will eventually be standard equipment on bikes just as it is on cars..

Last edited:
Any info or opinions?

Not sure how ABS would work on a bike BUT I react to emergency by first hitting the rear break....immediately locks it up. I for one might like to have control of both tires with either the front lever OR the back lever. Whatever the future will be interesting.

where did you find the info that the Honda ABS weighs in at 60 pounds more than a standard brake system... I am finding that one pretty hard to swallow... car systems do not weigh that much more....

I did my homework in '09 literbikes 101. Honda specs reported the weight of an ABS bike and a nonABS. I was pretty surprised at the weight of the ABS and yeah, I believe it was 60 lbs. I could be wrong. I'll see if I can dig that info up.

also think you are probably wrong about the safety vs weight argument.. ABS has proven to be quite remarkable on the safety side and so I really believe will eventually be standard equipment on bikes just as it is on cars..

Might be safer. If it's way heavier, I don't think most sport riders want it. If it's slower, we don't want that either.

Mythos

Im not a fan of ABS, wish it were an option on my truck,I still pump the brakes when needed,I just feel like I have more control that way...just my opinion.

I did my homework in '09 literbikes 101. Honda specs reported the weight of an ABS bike and a nonABS. I was pretty surprised at the weight of the ABS and yeah, I believe it was 60 lbs. I could be wrong. I'll see if I can dig that info up.

Might be safer. If it's way heavier, I don't think most sport riders want it. If it's slower, we don't want that either.

Mythos

On 5 September, 2008, Honda introduced a revised CBR600RR for the 2009 model year.[6] Following the "Combined ABS" prototype, the new CBR600RR will have an available option of "Combined ABS". Other changes include updates to the engine which improved torque from 8000 rpm to 12000 rpm, improved fairings that enhance stability and reduce noise emission levels, and new color schemes which were designed to attract a wider range of riders. Although all of these changes involved the addition of some materials, the overall weight of the 2009 CBR600RR remains the same as the 2008 model. This was achieved through weight savings in the engine, exhaust, and chassis and continues to remain the lightest bike in the super sport class.

......Far as ABS is concerned, it's too heavy to be worth the added safety. The Honda's system adds ~60 lbs. Almost none of us are willing to sacrifice performance for aditional safety. ...

Okay, I stand corrected. I see why I made the error. '09 Honda CBR specs found on motorcycle.com

Wet weight CBR RR......439 lbs
wet weight CBR ABS.... 461 lbs

Still, a twenty two lb difference. No thanks. I take stuff off to be faster; I don't need 'em putting more on. Now if I had the daughter or girlfriend on, I'd want safe but you can't have both safe and fast at optimum simultaneously. All you can do is use common sense....which is why I don't take my 4 or 6 year old on my bike.....and I guess that's one more reason I don't need a chick on the back of my bike. 14 or busa, she can have her pick but either way, if we go fast, we go solo. (that's wut she said!)

Mythos

also I could be mistaken but dont most of the factory teams run ABS and automatic traction control? I was sure the Duc's had ABS and TC.

......... Although all of these changes involved the addition of some materials, the overall weight of the 2009 CBR600RR remains the same as the 2008 model. This was achieved through weight savings in the engine, exhaust, and chassis and continues to remain the lightest bike in the super sport class.

Still rather see them apply the weight trim to performance rather than compensate for safety equipment. Same goes for cleaner emissions on some bikes. I just want to ride and ride fast. I have the whole fERking rest of my life to be politically correct.

I give. Some people really like ABS. It's safer - yes it is.

Mythos

also I could be mistaken but dont most of the factory teams run ABS and automatic traction control? I was sure the Duc's had ABS and TC.

You might have me interested now.....for a track bike..... which the busa aint. Landspeed/drag bike/fastashell streetbike braking is less of a performance concern. If you don't allow yourself the space to slow down in those arenas, that's on you. No point in trying to take on any of the newer literbikes cornering and braking, track or street if you are on a hyperbike anyway.

Mythos

Eventually ABS will be across the board. I remember recently reading this.....Here goes my memory recall, if I recall correctly there was a large% decrease in crashes/fatalities for ABS equipped motorcycles. (I will look it up)
This will not go unnoticed.
The fed is very aware of the motorcycle fatality count.
A large problem with motorcycle crashes is the rider takes no action or improper action prior to collision. Improper action usually includes over or under braking.
It does not matter how long you have been riding on the street or on the track, no one can foresee all conditions on the street. The surface never remains constant. Oil, grease, anti-freeze, sand, gravel, WET LEAVES, water, and the coefficient of friction changes all the time. ABS is a safety net, added weight makes little difference on the street.
The big problem is change and the human ego. Some riders believe they can modulate the brakes more than 6 times a second or threshold brake every time all the time.
How many people practice threshold braking on a regular basis? If ever?

- MCN Roadtest: ABS Equipped Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade tested[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we have flies on our bikes? Just for safety. My 14's flies are gone and so are the flies in half of the other 14s out there. We want fast from our sportbike or at least the potential for max speed from whatever setup we're running. I'd love to own a cruiser and have it nice and comfy and safe. I'd probabley put more miles on it than my 14. Or better yet, I'll just stretch out in my 02 Toyota Corolla. The only pupose for the 14 in my life is to go fast. I wouldn't get on any bike without accepting the danger.

Honestly, I am a bit surprized I'm the only one here crying about going fast. This is the busa forum, right.......or did I accidentally click my daughter's school website?:poke:

Mythos

Last edited:
Generally, this is a mature rider web site. Most do not care about being faster than the next guy. Most riders here, ride there own ride. Squids feel the need to impress people.
You may be on the wrong web site.

In general, most good riders can brake fine without ABS, in much the same way people born and raised driving cars without ABS can function normally. ABS is a nice crutch, but a rider who knows what they're doing will be able to match, if not out-perform an ABS system in most conditions, imo.

Busa159, maturity of the owner is not the question; it is if having ABS on a bike from the factory; regardless of options will be beneficial, not weather or not it is something to tack on for more cautious or more elder riders. The added weight may be a concern for many riders, myself included, but it is not enough to prevent the manufacturers from adding ABS as a staple to many of their bikes. This is something that we will se coming down the pipe, for good or bad is yet to be decided.

Most track riders I know don't like ABS on thier bikes but the busa isn't really made t be a track bike . It should be an option though for those that want it .

Back