ABS bike with non ABS wheels

busanewb

Registered
I have a 2015 hayabusa and im looking at doing the r1 wheel mod. Only issue is I have abs. If i run the r1 wheels will I just throw an abs light or a CEL or will it mess with the brakes while riding?

The only thing Ive seen about ABS is someone removed it, but didnt explain if he had any issues with dash lights or anything like that.

Any help would be great!

Hard to say . Though the wheel has the ring for the sensor to pick up rotation .
I would start by taking the sensor off the rear and go for a short test ride .
Try to lock up the rear wheel at a slow speed . See if a abs light comes on

I wonder if you could somehow mount the ring to the new wheels. Then your abs would still work as designed.

Its a pretty safe bet that your brakes will "fail" in a functional way. Suzuki would not sell ABS that didn't allow the brakes to function even if the ABS system is not functioning properly. That being said you would be going from bad brakes with ABS to really bad brakes with the ABS not functioning. The wheel spinning info that comes from the sensor on the ring is maybe the most critical part of the ABS.

I think the question is leaving the bike stock or changing the wheels to the R1 wheels and removing the ABS and adding good brakes. Pretty expensive alternative IMHO. Unless you can work out a way to mount the ring on the R1 wheels, in which case you would be a hero and let us all know how you did it!

Its a pretty safe bet that your brakes will "fail" in a functional way. Suzuki would not sell ABS that didn't allow the brakes to function even if the ABS system is not functioning properly. That being said you would be going from bad brakes with ABS to really bad brakes with the ABS not functioning. The wheel spinning info that comes from the sensor on the ring is maybe the most critical part of the ABS.

I think the question is leaving the bike stock or changing the wheels to the R1 wheels and removing the ABS and adding good brakes. Pretty expensive alternative IMHO. Unless you can work out a way to mount the ring on the R1 wheels, in which case you would be a hero and let us all know how you did it!

This^

I have this sames dilemma. I have a 14 w abs and I have a set of gsxr1000 wheels from an 08 non abs bike. The brake rotors are a totally different size and I don't see how I can get the rotors to like up so the brakes are grabbing sufficient rotor surface. The abs ring pushes everything out and I don't know if I purchase rotors for the 08 rim if they will be the same size as the 14 busa w abs. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

You guys know you can't see the wheel when your riding right ? Either order CZ wheels for a and bike ,
Delete your and , or just ride .

The brakes won't fail, the abs simply won't pump if you lock the brakes up.

I've bypassed the abs units, and have completely removed them with no issues.

Back