A.B.A.T.E

Don't bring the military thing in on this one...I fought for our rights and I hate the fact that ppl here protest the war...I used to ride a Harley and only wore a helmet when i was in a state that required it...then i got a Busa...only wore a helmet when i got on the Highway....now I wear a helmet everytime I get on the road....If a group out there wants to teach about motorcycles...then teach cage drivers about awareness don't teach me about safety when you aren't safe yourself.

I will never understand you sheeple. First its wear a helmet then it will be a CC or HP law then a law about speed restrictors on motorcycles then it will be no motorcycles at all they are too dangerous. With or without a helmet they are friggin dangerous. Its about your right as an american to chose for yourself. I doubt you will find a single person in any of those groups try to pass a you cant wear a helmet law or even ask you not to wear a helmet. Funny how some of you are forcing the rest to conform to your ideas. You dont see me saying take off that helmet an EMT buddy of mine saw a guy that broke his neck that may have lived if he didnt have that thing on his head or something stupid like that. Insurance thats a BS line too while your wearing your helmet you still friggin crashed and you lived and you got hurt yes more people die and get brain injuries not wearing a helmet I wear mine and I am not a memeber of ABATE I would like some of the freedom thieves in America to stop telling me what the hell to do. Rqacing dangerous smoking dangerous how many of you helmet Nazis smoke or race or parachute or do something else dangerous. I really love seeing the pictures of you guys stunting or driving way fast or some crazy BS wheelie or something with your helmet on thinking you are invinsible just because you have a little piece of plastic on and a jacket. Sorry if I offended anyoen but come on enough with the preaching already. I am just sick to death of everyone telling me what is safe and having a whole senate discussion and wasting tax payers money on this BS. Riding without a helmet is dangerous riding a bike in some cities in dangerous more danger than I will ever see up here in rural Maine. I dont want to lose any more of my rights I will never tell you to go without gear it should be your own personal choice just as much as smoking, drinking eating so much you get fat and unhealthy, to much salt. Sex cause you could catch AIDS. Sorry again but it is killing me to see what some people are doing to this country with needless lawsuits and the millions of laws from overpaid lawmakers to many people trying to make everyone conform to there ideas.

rant.gif

(GARRY2R @ Oct. 03 2007,05:38) I think its a shame you are so willing to judge others by what a few do, and then get so upset when you are so judged yourself.  I know many sportbike riders that if I judged all of them by the few that I have seen doing the stupid crap that that type of bike is capable of I am sure that I would assume that everyone on a sportbike is a teenage a-hole.  As you appear to feel so strongly I would encourage you to attend an ABATE meeting in your area.  We are always welcoming all riders.  And as some laws that are proposed more directly affects sportbikes than harleys it might even be beneficial to you.  If you take my challenge to go with an open mind and see what it is about instead of assuming we are a bunch of drunken harley riders you might find yourself a new group of riding buddies.  Heck we have 2 busa riders in our local chapter.
Who are you directing this at
rock.gif
? If it's me, you need to read the threads and see  
SHOCKED.gif
what impression ABATE left here. This was the first encounter I've had with ABATE or anyone associated with ABATE. So the impression left is nothing I can change, only the organization and members can do that. And Yeah, they did refer to Sparks and Pawhuska,  but only smaller and without the ATTITUDE and Naked Girl Racing you get there  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Oct. 03 2007,06:51)
(GARRY2R @ Oct. 03 2007,05:38) I think its a shame you are so willing to judge others by what a few do, and then get so upset when you are so judged yourself.  I know many sportbike riders that if I judged all of them by the few that I have seen doing the stupid crap that that type of bike is capable of I am sure that I would assume that everyone on a sportbike is a teenage a-hole.  As you appear to feel so strongly I would encourage you to attend an ABATE meeting in your area.  We are always welcoming all riders.  And as some laws that are proposed more directly affects sportbikes than harleys it might even be beneficial to you.  If you take my challenge to go with an open mind and see what it is about instead of assuming we are a bunch of drunken harley riders you might find yourself a new group of riding buddies.  Heck we have 2 busa riders in our local chapter.
Who are you directing this at
rock.gif
? If it's me, you need to read the threads and see  
SHOCKED.gif
what impression ABATE left here. This was the first encounter I've had with ABATE or anyone associated with ABATE. So the impression left is nothing I can change, only the organization and members can do that. And Yeah, they did refer to Sparks and Pawhuska,  but only smaller and without the ATTITUDE and Naked Girl Racing you get there  
beerchug.gif
I will also add, they were some of the nicest people I've met and are welcome back anytime
jump9.gif

(GSXcite @ Oct. 03 2007,06:19) But don't you fight for his right to ride without a shirt, helmet or any protective gear? To have his right to choose to be a squid?
Do you even understand the menaing of a squid?

A "squid" is a term used for people who are negative or have nagative affects towards the hobby of motorcycling. I can not say that people in "harley" garb are "squids" because of their attire because "harley" has advertised and promoted this type of attire and lifestyle for nearly a century now. Considering that Harley Davidson sponsors and supports MANY free rider safety classes, motorcycle organizations and even those who maintain our rights to ride these machines....I can not agree that anyone supporting these ideals or the company as a "squid".

A "squid" is a reckless law breaker who shows up on the news doing 205 on a RC51.
A "squid" are all of these "stunters" that do it on public roads openly and amidst traffic.
A "squid" is the guy who promotes ignorance rather than brotherhood and riding.

So in short, if you are pointing the finger at all of those "squids"....there are probably atleast 3 of your own fingers pointing back at the real squid.

(bigmac0331 @ Oct. 03 2007,06:45) Don't bring the military thing in on this one...I fought for our rights and I hate the fact that ppl here protest the war...I used to ride a Harley and only wore a helmet when i was in a state that required it...then i got a Busa...only wore a helmet when i got on the Highway....now I wear a helmet everytime I get on the road....If a group out there wants to teach about motorcycles...then teach cage drivers about awareness don't teach me about safety when you aren't safe yourself.
I know Garry personally and he is by no means trying to down any aspect of military. He actively supports our troops. The education of cage drivers is a major point in abate of oklahoma.

(suzuki4life @ Oct. 03 2007,07:05)
(GSXcite @ Oct. 03 2007,06:19) But don't you fight for his right to ride without a shirt, helmet or any protective gear? To have his right to choose to be a squid?

A "squid" is a term used for people who are negative or have nagative affects towards the hobby of motorcycling. I can not say that people in "harley" garb are "squids" because of their attire because "harley" has advertised and promoted this type of attire and lifestyle for nearly a century now. Considering that Harley Davidson sponsors and supports MANY free rider safety classes, motorcycle organizations and even those who maintain our rights to ride these machines....I can not agree that anyone supporting these ideals or the company as a "squid".

A "squid" is a reckless law breaker who shows up on the news doing 205 on a RC51.
A "squid" are all of these "stunters" that do it on public roads openly and amidst traffic.

So in short, if you are pointing the finger at all of those "squids"....there are probably atleast 3 of your own fingers pointing back at the real squid.
Gary, you need to go back and read the question I was responding to. "But you don't want to be judged by the guy on a SPORTBIKE riding a wheelie in traffic wearing shorts and a t shirt" It said nothing about Harleys and squids! I think I know what a squid is, and I think I understand a little about the Harley thing too as I've been riding longer than you have been alive. I have no axe to grind with abate, but I do have a problem with anyone or any organization that would in any way promote riding without a helmet be it under the loss of freedom thing or not. On this, you and I will agree to disagree

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 03 2007,10:08)
(bigmac0331 @ Oct. 03 2007,06:45) Don't bring the military thing in on this one...I fought for our rights and I hate the fact that ppl here protest the war...I used to ride a Harley and only wore a helmet when i was in a state that required it...then i got a Busa...only wore a helmet when i got on the Highway....now I wear a helmet everytime I get on the road....If a group out there wants to teach about motorcycles...then teach cage drivers about awareness don't teach me about safety when you aren't safe yourself.
I know Garry personally and he is by no means trying to down any aspect of military.  He actively supports our troops.  The education of cage drivers is a major point in abate of oklahoma.
Well maybe the military subject should have been left out of this topic.....if you open the door I'm gonna come in.

+1 for GSXcite

Your post implies that his CLOTHES make him a squid. If he was in full gear and riding wheelies in traffic he would be a squid regardless of his attire. And yes, he should have the same right to wear what he chooses as he risks his own life in that traffic.

ABATE is not here to "judge" you. The people who "judge" you are the people ABATE are fighting AGAINIST.

You don't have to join ABATE nor do you have to support them, but be grateful they exist. Because there is a very good chance that if they didn't, your hayabusa could be governed to 65 mph if it was even road legal here to begin with.

(suzuki4life @ Oct. 03 2007,17:18) You don't have to join ABATE nor do you have to support them, but be grateful they exist. Because there is a very good chance that if they didn't, your hayabusa could be governed to 65 mph if it was even road legal here to begin with.
I'm not against what ABATE stands for and probably would become a member if not for the way they have potrayed themselves to me over the years.

As an example, this is the first I've talked to an ABATE member outside of a bar and to one that didn't think that if you choose other than a V-Twin that you hate America.

More of the members should be as diplomatic as you. If they were, I can imagine the following that would generate.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 03 2007,13:57)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 03 2007,07:05)

Gary, you need to go back and read the question I was responding to. "But you don't want to be judged by the guy on a SPORTBIKE riding a wheelie in traffic wearing shorts and a t shirt" It said nothing about Harleys and squids! I think I know what a squid is, and I think I understand a little about the Harley thing too as I've been riding longer than you have been alive. I have no axe to grind with abate, but I do have a problem with anyone or any organization that would in any way promote riding without a helmet be it under the loss of freedom thing or not. On this, you and I will agree to disagree
Is suzuki4life's name gary also?

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,17:46)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 03 2007,17:18) You don't have to join ABATE nor do you have to support them, but be grateful they exist. Because there is a very good chance that if they didn't, your hayabusa could be governed to 65 mph if it was even road legal here to begin with.
I'm not against what ABATE stands for and probably would become a member if not for the way they have potrayed themselves to me over the years.

As an example, this is the first I've talked to an ABATE member outside of a bar and to one that didn't think that if you choose other than a V-Twin that you hate America.

More of the members should be as diplomatic as you. If they were, I can imagine the following that would generate.
I would like to get together with you some time and go hang with some of my friends that are ABATE members so you can see we are not all azzholes. Hell if you wanted to come up for the weekend I've got a spare room.

I am not sure I even have a clue about ABATE. They fight for "freedom of choice" and damn the safety issues. That is fine.. but what gets me is the official statement that they "hope people make the right choice and wear a helmet".

Rider checks are done here by ABATE members for MC endorsements. The testing guys always show up without helmets acting as official ABATE officers. Guess I just dont get it... if you are going to be involved in MC safety, training or testing, you would at least wear a lid to those functions. Funny thing is all testing is done at 12mph or less and they require a helmet...

(bogusLogon @ Oct. 03 2007,22:18) I am not sure I even have a clue about ABATE.  They fight for "freedom of choice" and damn the safety issues.  That is fine.. but what gets me is the official statement that they "hope people make the right choice and wear a helmet".  

Rider checks are done here by ABATE members for MC endorsements.  The testing guys always show up without helmets acting as official ABATE officers.    Guess I just dont get it... if you are going to be involved in MC safety, training or testing, you would at least wear a lid to those functions.  Funny thing is all testing is done at 12mph or less and they require a helmet...
once again, a helmet does not make you a safer rider.....it COULD make a rider safer. Their own personal safety should be their choice.

Second, it takes more skill to handle a slow moving motorcycle than one at highway speeds. Therefore as part of training they require protective gear for the training sessions.

As for them "damning" safety, I think they feel your safety is based on your own skill, luck and choices, therefore you should have the right to decide for yourself. A guy could ride daily for his lifetime and never be in an accident. Another could be in full gear, stall out in traffic and get ran down in the first 10 minutes on a bike.

(snakeyezzz @ Oct. 03 2007,22:55) I would like to get together with you some time and go hang with some of my friends that are ABATE members so you can see we are not all azzholes. Hell if you wanted to come up for the weekend I've got a spare room.
Maybe I'll take you up on that when I get back to FL. I'm out making money now and should be back around the 17th. In time for the Deland races that weekend.
all_coholic.gif

"making you a safer rider" has nothing to do with wearing a helmet.. It also has nothing to do with accident rates.

Wearing a helmet has to do with "Survivability" of an accident.

"Second, it takes more skill to handle a slow moving motorcycle than one at highway speeds"
Yes but far less intuition and brains, part of riding is learning to anticipate the moves of other drivers. (not much of an issue in a parking lot)

I have never seen a rider fly over the handlebars and hood of a car in a parking lot accident.

ABATE is not basing the issue of helmets on safety, they think they are protecting "rights" too bad it is such a misguided effort when they could be doing so much more for bike safety

Back