A.B.A.T.E

DaCol.

D' Colonel
Donating Member
So, today there is a BIG ABATE rally here with LOTS of riders. I had heard of ABATE but never knew what it stood for. So, these 20 ABATE guys and gals come in the Restaurant today with their ABATE shirts on and I ask. Well, I find out it means American Biker Association Training and Education. Ya got to be kidding. These guys and gals all riding Harleys (not a problem) with only T Shirts (leather vest- Yeah, lots of protection) , Dew Rags for their head mops, little flimsey golf type gloves with the fingers cut out, blue jeans and --- Well Harley boots (the ONLY real protection they wear other than the sunglasses). Anyway, they tell me how they (4 of these guys were instructors) give classes (I didn't have time to ask what, I can only imagine) to the group. Really nice people but, their flyer says NO MINORS allowed without Parental Presents. Beer available at the Rally. So, other than telling me it's not safe to ride at night doing 185 mph, just what would I want to hear about. All I saw was, NO GEAR, NO MINORS (Why
rock.gif
) and Beer  
beerchug.gif
 . And they are going to teach me about Motorcycle issues and safty  
wow.gif

I can just imagine an MSF course with Beer available
For those associated with this group, did I miss something, because they sure didn't impress me  
wink.gif

If you want helmet and noise laws repealed and drinking and driving leagalized, ABATE's your grop to get it done.

I believe those were the morons who tried to get the helmet law here in michigan repealed. Thank God gramholm shot it down.

I remember a tv news interview with some grey haired harley rider during this and I just laughed at his excuses for not wearing a lid. Said it's too hot and makes your head sweat. Makes your neck hurt. Takes away from your side vision and hearing. All total Bs and proved wrong with FACT shown in the HURT report. Would have loved to tell him if he can't see or hear well enough let along handle sweating a little or be tough enough to wear a little gear, maybe he shouldn't be riding, because the ground is alot harder to deal with at 50mph.

Furthur evidence is the rise in motorcycle fatalities over the past 5 years. Most of which is middle aged men on cruiser bikes. Care to guess on their headgear of Choice if they even wore any?

Some anti-helmet users stated that instead of helmet laws, we need better driver education to awareness of motorcycles and better rider education to save lives. Hey I agree! So how about holding rally's to enforce that instead of helmet law repeals? Otherwise your gonna still have drivers STILL ignorant of bikes and foolish riders that now have the ability to go helmetless. Guess what happens to our insurance rates now?

One of their top arguments for nixing the helmet law is because it would increase tourism. Ya Thanks. Come to michigan to splatter your head on the pavement. Just what we need.
mad.gif

This is one reason why I wear a helmet. Can you imagine trying to blow this flapper back out of your right nostril at 70 mph and still keep the ape hangers in line..

A_Splatted_Bug...8_13_05_002__Large_.jpg

ABATE: lets all ride our Harleys up to the tavern and get drunk under the guise of promoting biker safety. Those guys are a joke.

That is not their original meaning of ABATE-- Originaly I think it was American Bikers Against Totolarian Enactments Basically a anti helmet group. One bad crash w/a 1/2 helmet made me see the light on the absolute need for a full coverage helmet.

(HillbillyTom @ Sep. 29 2007,22:57) This is one reason why I wear a helmet. Can you imagine trying to blow this flapper back out of your right nostril at 70 mph and still keep the ape hangers in line..
Now THAT is some funny shid right there...
ices_rofl.gif

(Shibumi @ Sep. 30 2007,22:50)
(HillbillyTom @ Sep. 29 2007,22:57) This is one reason why I wear a helmet. Can you imagine trying to blow this flapper back out of your right nostril at 70 mph and still keep the ape hangers in line..
Now THAT is some funny shid right there...  
ices_rofl.gif
laugh.gif

Funny....yet....so true.

(DaCol. @ Sep. 29 2007,19:28) So, today there is a BIG ABATE rally here with LOTS of riders. I had heard of ABATE but never knew what it stood for. So, these 20 ABATE guys and gals come in the Restaurant today with their ABATE shirts on and I ask. Well, I find out it means American Biker Association Training and Education. Ya got to be kidding. These guys and gals all riding Harleys (not a problem) with only T Shirts (leather vest- Yeah, lots of protection) , Dew Rags for their head mops, little flimsey golf type gloves with the fingers cut out, blue jeans and --- Well Harley boots (the ONLY real protection they wear other than the sunglasses). Anyway, they tell me how they (4 of these guys were instructors) give classes (I didn't have time to ask what, I can only imagine) to the group. Really nice people but, their flyer says NO MINORS allowed without Parental Presents. Beer available at the Rally. So, other than telling me it's not safe to ride at night doing 185 mph, just what would I want to hear about. All I saw was, NO GEAR, NO MINORS (Why
rock.gif
) and Beer
beerchug.gif
. And they are going to teach me about Motorcycle issues and safty
wow.gif

I can just imagine an MSF course with Beer available
For those associated with this group, did I miss something, because they sure didn't impress me
wink.gif
That's why I didn't go

(mjrfd99 @ Sep. 30 2007,04:31) That is not their original meaning of ABATE-- Originaly I think it was  American Bikers Against Totolarian Enactments    Basically a anti helmet group. One bad crash w/a 1/2 helmet made me see the light on the absolute need for a full coverage helmet.
that is correct- i used to be involved with them back in the day. the name has been changed several times to
accomodate "political correctness".

It actually stands for A Brotherhood Aiming Toward Education. I am a member of the threesands chapter thats closest to you in ponca city. Do us all a favor and educate yourself what we are aiming for in Oklahoma. We are not against wearing a helmet (I wear a helmet) we are against being told you have too. WE also fight for laws to protect EVERY RIDER.

like i stated earlier a.b.a.t.e. originally stood for
american bikers against totalitarian enactments.
the acronym has changed over the years. although
they say all bikes are welcome back then it was 100%
harley and all the meetings were held in bars with plenty
of drinking going on. most people joined so they could
wear the t-shirt. oh well.

first off yes the meaning of ABATE has changed throughout the years.

Second, they are teaching choices. That implies "FREEDOM". Explain to me why in my state a biker can go helmetless but I can be fined for not having my seatbelt on in my car? I used to like reply to the statement supposedly from an EMT:" I never removed a dead guy from his seatbelt."..."so what you left him strapped in?"

Helmets do not guarantee survival in a crash, only not crashing or being involved in the accident guarantees that.

As for drinking and driving, drinking and doing anything active that does not involve a very fat or ugly chick doesn't make sense to me. If its worthwhile doing...do it sober.

Back