Response To ABATE

(suzuki4life @ Oct. 02 2007,08:19)
In reality, lack of a helmet will keep you traveling at lower speeds.
rock.gif
 ...huh?

Do mullets create wind drag?

(suzuki4life @ Oct. 02 2007,08:19) [
Irresponsible to whom? A helmet doesn't keep you from hitting a car. In reality, lack of a helmet will keep you traveling at lower speeds. Logic would say it would make more sense to increase the performance mandates on the equipment BEFORE worrying about what the rider is wearing.
theoretically , though highly unlikely,imho you could be at a standstill at an intersection, slip on the infamous grease spot, fall over and crack your helmetless melon open on the curb. I did see a guy on an older goldwing do it and his helmet did hit the pavement hard. he got snagged on it trying to save it and tripped up as he tried to get away. it can happen, a freak accident with no cars or phones to blame.

(BigmanZ @ Oct. 02 2007,07:35)
(busarider54 @ Oct. 02 2007,05:44) I understand ABATE does more than the whole "anti-helmet/pro-choice" debate.  It's just hard to disassociate the "anti-helmet" image from the group, especially when a good number of us think it's beyond irresponsible not to wear one.  

Kinda of like supporting the NRA even though they want automatic weapons that shoot "cop-killer" bullets.  (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL COMPARISON; I KNOW LONGER KNOW WHAT THE NRA's STANCE IS ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT).
The NRA has never wanted such.  
rock.gif

Or did you mean Semi-Automatic? The NRA has allways supported common sense laws when it comes to firearms.
I didn't explain myself clearly.  I did not mean to imply that the NRA currently supports automatic weapons or cop-killer (yes, it's a buzz word but that's how these things gain notoriety and make news) bullets.  

It would be hard for me to support the NRA if their main agenda was getting the above items legalized (once again, hypothetical), even if they also supported the right to bear arms, etc.  Having such a contentious issue as it's lead would turn off many possible supporters.  

Such as ABATE wishing to repeal helmet laws or to keep helmets as an option (where it's still legal).  Even though they support other rider issues, it's hard for some of us to get past the main one.

Clear as mud? lol.

I think it's irresponsible for a person to ride without a helmet.  My opinion.  I think that a helmet will help in some accidents.  You are irresponsible to your family, friends, and yourself when you go without a helmet.  Let's start repealing mandatory seat belt laws next.

(BigmanZ @ Oct. 02 2007,08:52)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 02 2007,08:19)
In reality, lack of a helmet will keep you traveling at lower speeds.
rock.gif
 ...huh?

Do mullets create wind drag?
You never rode a naked bike apparently. The average person won't be do high speed runs without a fairing or a helmet. Once you try it, you'll understand why.

(pbghost @ Oct. 02 2007,09:flamethrowing:)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 02 2007,08:19) [
Irresponsible to whom? A helmet doesn't keep you from hitting a car. In reality, lack of a helmet will keep you traveling at lower speeds. Logic would say it would make more sense to increase the performance mandates on the equipment BEFORE worrying about what the rider is wearing.
theoretically , though highly unlikely,imho you could be at a standstill at an intersection, slip on the infamous grease spot, fall over and crack your helmetless melon open on the curb.  I did see a guy on an older goldwing do it and his helmet did hit the pavement hard. he got snagged on it trying to save it and tripped up as he tried to get away. it can happen, a freak accident with no cars or phones to blame.
People fall all the time....I guess we should wear helmets 24/7 then.

Your reasoning is getting ridiculous.

My friend got in a wreck at 30 mph (on a harley) hit head on pavement. Now has plate in his head NO Helmet. Bet a good lid and he would of walked away not laid in coma for a few weeks.
Another young kid (sport bike) crashed around 35-40 hit head on ground and is now a vegetable No helmet! Guess he got up complained of a headache was all and then the brain swelling got him. He just graduated highschool validictorium.

Anyway guess some helmet laws wouldn't bother me any different then seat belt laws.

I will never understand how you can support poker runs were drinking and driving is common, but helmets are not!

ABATE, NRA, NORML, ect., ect. are all going to have their individule pros and cons~ ABATE is all about fighting for the rights of bikers.. period! Doesn't matter what kinda bike you ride~ NRA doesn't give a fat rats arse what kinda weapon you carry, and NORML doesn't care less about the quality of the pot you smoke either~ Just like any political party, they are always gonna come up with something that makes you say "Huh?"~ But they are there to fight for the best interest of their respective members~ If you "live to ride", like most of us do.. you should support ABATE~ If you're just a weekend warrior and a basic poser, ABATE wouldn't have any meaning to you~ So be it... but it is a good organization that has been fighting for the rights of ALL bikers for many moons... even the non-supporters~ No, I'm not a member myself, but have known many that are, and have the upmost respect for any organization that fights for their rights rather then just sit back behind a computer and piss and moan about whats going on around them~
wink.gif

(Dart451 @ Oct. 02 2007,12:56) My friend got in a wreck at 30 mph (on a harley)  hit head on pavement. Now has plate in his head NO Helmet. Bet a good lid and he would of walked away not laid in coma for a few weeks.
Another young kid  (sport bike) crashed around 35-40 hit head on ground and is now a vegetable No helmet! Guess he got up complained of a headache was all and then the brain swelling got him. He just graduated highschool validictorium.

Anyway guess some helmet laws wouldn't bother me any different then seat belt laws.

I will never understand how you can support poker runs were drinking and driving is common, but helmets are not!
its called supporting darwinism.

If people are dumb enough to do things that will result in them being killed...let's speed it up before they reproduce.

(busarider54 @ Oct. 02 2007,12:20) I think it's irresponsible for a person to ride without a helmet. My opinion. I think that a helmet will help in some accidents. You are irresponsible to your family, friends, and yourself when you go without a helmet. Let's start repealing mandatory seat belt laws next.
As an officer for ABATE of Oklahoma I can appreciate that YOUR opinion is that YOU should wear a helmet. ABATE stands firmly on the belief that helmets save lives in the event of an accident. It is my belief that a helmet, much like a seatbelt, can kill in some isolated accidents. We are fighting to educate riders to ride safe, sober and aware, and to educate cage drivers to drive responsibly, through the use of fines, suspension and imprisonment for careless driving. Cage drivers NEED to be made aware that we (as in all of us on 2 or 3 wheels) share the road with them! And I like your idea of repealing the seatbelt law.
biggrin.gif

Welcome.

In regards to the fact that you are fighting for the right to not be regulated by the government. I got it.

However, I firmly believe that helmets save lives, as does additional body armor save scars and pain.

So I think it's good. If you just educate a few great, if you educate a lot excellent. If you get helmet and seatbelt laws repealed, all the better for civil right and democracy. I will still wear both, and be glad that I do.

Again, welcome.
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

This is me playing bike games at our party last weekend. Its kinda hard to see but im wearing an org shirt.

game.JPG

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 02 2007,17:10) This is me playing bike games at our party last weekend. Its kinda hard to see but im wearing an org shirt.
T-shirt, tennis shoes, no helmet and a passenger. You say you wear a helmet, but I don't see you or your passenger wearing one
rock.gif

Also, it was mentioned at that drinking is ok because we spend two days at a campground. Drinking and bike 'games' do not seem to mix for me...
all_coholic.gif

(GARRY2R @ Oct. 02 2007,16:58) It is my belief that a helmet, much like a seatbelt, can kill in some isolated accidents.
Stats? Proof? Situation?

I can't imagine a situation where wearing a helmet will kill you and NOT wearing one would keep you alive...

A.B.A.T.E. let my ride wheelies on a parade lap at the Springfield Mile about 6 yrs ago on a ZRX..with 5000 people in the stands....They are AOK with me..

IMO, wear a helmet if you want and dont if you want..I choose to wear a helmet..

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 02 2007,14:10) This is me playing bike games at our party last weekend.  Its kinda hard to see but im wearing an org shirt.
AwHawwww, so your the Busa Guy out there last weekend. I had a bunch of people say they thought they saw my bike but not me !!! Hope you had Fun !!  
tounge.gif

(whitele @ Oct. 02 2007,16:57)
(GARRY2R @ Oct. 02 2007,16:58) It is my belief that a helmet, much like a seatbelt, can kill in some isolated accidents.
Stats? Proof? Situation?

I can't imagine a situation where wearing a helmet will kill you and NOT wearing one would keep you alive...
i agree 1000% i think that is b.s.

(whitele @ Oct. 02 2007,16:55)
T-shirt, tennis shoes, no helmet and a passenger. You say you wear a helmet, but I don't see you or your passenger wearing one
rock.gif

Also, it was mentioned at that drinking is ok because we spend two days at a campground. Drinking and bike 'games' do not seem to mix for me...
all_coholic.gif
[/Quote]
The games we were playing are done at about the same speed as you can walk. So if you wanna wear full gear when walking to your car power to you. The games are also played at around 2pm, and we have people that will not let you ride your bike if you are not sober.

(whitele @ Oct. 02 2007,16:57)
Stats? Proof? Situation?

Just ask Dale Earnhardt how it worked out for him.....

Back