Idaho bikers win passage of traffic signal law

DAB

Registered
Beginning July 1, Idaho motorcyclists will be able to proceed through intersections when traffic signals do not recognize the presence of a motorcycle.

Idaho motorcyclists, led by Tim Herzog and the other members of ABATE of North Idaho, won near unanimous support for the bill in the Idaho legislature and it was signed into law by Gov. Dirk Kempthorne.

Kempthorne, an enthusiastic motorcyclist himself, was recently nominated by President Bush to be Interior Secretary.

The law addresses the problem of traffic light sensors that are not properly calibrated to detect motorcycles, leaving a rider waiting endlessly for a green light. The law allows riders to proceed through the intersection with caution when that happens.

Similar laws have also been passed in Minnesota, Tennessee and Arkansas.

AMA Linky

it's about time.
cool.gif

Thats cool I hope they do it down here someday I've got one light that I have run several times cause it just won't change for a motorcycle. most of the others around here are timed.

We need that around here too...I've sat at a few lights that never change...

Bad part is that some idiot will abuse this new law, get himself hurt or worse, then the family will sue the State for having the law to begin with...

Welcome to America! Our motto should be "It's not MY fault!"
laugh.gif

*disclaimer* no disrespect to America...just me needling the fact that we are a sue-happy country...

MD/DC would probably pass the law and keep the red light cameras installed to catch those running it and get them in court.
rock.gif

America is, in fact, an exceedingly litigious society. I love this country but I wish some people would use a little ethical integrity before they decide to go with what a Lawyer tells them too.

“99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.â€￾ – Steven Wright

If we had traffic signals in Vt it would a pain waiting.
My theory with lights is take a right and then swing another right and presto thru the light you are.

I wish they would do it here. Today,  I had to creep forward and signal the car behind me to come up because the turn signal would not light up
sad.gif

What about the poor guys selling the traffic signal changing magnets for motocycles. Laws like this could put the poor guys out of business.

j/k
laugh.gif
I wish they would pass it in Missouri. One of these days I'm going to get a ticket. I'll wait two cycles, then I'm gone.

hey guys just a little fyi don't ride down the middle of the tripping mechanism ride down one side or the other it greatly increases your chances of getting the green light.

Back