A.B.A.T.E

I don't need a law to tell me to wear a helmet, but some people do! If ABATE fights for laws to protect ALL riders, why would a mandatory law for helmet use be a problem?

IMG00290.jpg

(GSXcite @ Oct. 01 2007,16:53) I don't need a law to tell me to wear a helmet, but some people do! If ABATE fights for laws to protect ALL riders, why would a mandatory law for helmet use be a problem?
once again, a helmet does NOT protect you in terms of guaranteed survival anymore than a seatbelt in a car does. People die wearing a helmet just like they do seatbelts.

ABATE in Flroida stands for American Bikers Aiming Towards Education
Its not just about having a choice in helmet use but to make sure the politicians don't take away our right to ride. We have a bill on the books here in Florida that is motorcycle specific. If you are caught riding more than 30 over you will go to jail, forfeit your bike, and loose you license for 10 years. We are also working on stiffer penalties for drivers who are at fault in an accident involving a motorcycleand causing injury to the rider(ie. the azz that pulls out in front of you or turns infront of you)

ABATE of Florida has a safety program in place to promote motorcycle awareness. We have a video and program that has been put together that we give for free to any group that will listen to us. Also no alcohol is allowed at the state meetings. Yes there are those who feel that they have to drink and ride, but that is not all of us. I ride with a helmet but still believe in the right to choose.

Please don't think ABATE is a bunch of Harley riders and just another "club". I am the Sgt at Arms for my chapter and a proud member. I also ride a Busa.

snakeyezzz its good to see a fellow abater riding a busa. The brotherhood aim toward education is the one i use. I think my statement was mistaken earlier, i wasnt telling them to learn more about what abate stands for but, what we are fighting to protect here in our great state.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 01 2007,17:42)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 01 2007,20:39)
(snakeyezzz @ Oct. 01 2007,17:22) ABATE in Flroida stands for American Bikers Aiming Towards Education
That's what it means here also
They educate me. I now know I don't want to join.
That's funny. More to riding a motorcycle than just keeping it upright. Lane positioning, being seen by other motorists, couresty and knowledge....some people need taught things others can sometimes figure out on their own.

(suzuki4life @ Oct. 01 2007,17:14)
(GSXcite @ Oct. 01 2007,16:53) I don't need a law to tell me to wear a helmet, but some people do! If ABATE fights for laws to protect ALL riders, why would a mandatory law for helmet use be a problem?
once again, a helmet does NOT protect you in terms of guaranteed survival anymore than a seatbelt in a car does. People die wearing a helmet just like they do seatbelts.
Of course I understand there is no guarantee. One thing I will tell you though, it was MY head in that helmet, and I can almost gurantee you that without it, I wouldn't be here today to post this. Are you telling me that you think you have just as good of a chance to survive a crash without a helmet as you do wearing one?

(GSXcite @ Oct. 01 2007,21:19)
(suzuki4life @ Oct. 01 2007,17:14)
Of course I understand there is no guarantee. One thing I will tell you though, it was MY head in that helmet, and I can almost gurantee you that without it, I wouldn't be here today to post this. Are you telling me that you think you have just as good of a chance to survive a crash without a helmet as you do wearing one?
+1 I walked away from an accident that would have been possibly fatal because of my helmet. ABATE has much to learn about safety . Alcohol and bikes dont mix.

i agree.....abate does alot to fight for our rights...but....i think they go about promoting the sport all the wrong way....up here....abate rides...i dont go on ..most are harleys and rude...and drunk...i know everyone is not that way...but that was my experience

Please check out what laws are on the books that effect your right to ride and see who is fighting against them. Don't look at it as just another HD group because it is not. In Florida House Bill 137 targets motorcycles because of our beloved sportbikes that think it is better to run than stop and take their fine or feel they have to ride like a bat out of hell all the time. ABATE is fighting this because it is not right. It discriminates against motorcycles.

BTW: It is not just about helmets. I have seen people go down with and without hemet and survive with the same injuries.
Please educate before your judgement is determined by a few bad apples (you don't want to be judged because you ride a sportbike do you?)

(DREW @ Oct. 01 2007,22:00)
+1 I walked away from an accident that would have been possibly fatal because of my helmet. ABATE has much to learn about safety . Alcohol and bikes dont mix.[/Quote]
In no way does ABATE condone drinkin and riding or driving. Our party was at a campground. We are also not against wearing a helmet. We just want to have the right to do as we chose.

(snakeyezzz @ Oct. 02 2007,04:57) Please check out what laws are on the books that effect your right to ride and see who is fighting against them. Don't look at it as just another HD group because it is not. In Florida House Bill 137 targets motorcycles because of our beloved sportbikes that think it is better to run than stop and take their fine or feel they have to ride like a bat out of hell all the time. ABATE is fighting this because it is not right. It discriminates against motorcycles.

BTW: It is not just about helmets. I have seen people go down with and without hemet and survive with the same injuries.
Please educate before your judgement is determined by a few bad apples (you don't want to be judged because you ride a sportbike do you?)
Yes, I want to be judged when I'm riding my sportbike. When people see me on my bike with a Helmet, jacket, protective pants, gloves and boots,I want to be judged as someone with a half a brain for wearing gear.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 02 2007,14:40)
Yes, I want to be judged when I'm riding my sportbike. When people see me on my bike with a Helmet, jacket, protective pants, gloves and boots,I want to be judged as someone with a half a brain for wearing gear.[/Quote]
But you dont want to be judged by the guy on a sportbike riding a wheelie in trafic wearing shorts and a t shirt.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 02 2007,17:40)
(snakeyezzz @ Oct. 02 2007,04:57) Please check out what laws are on the books that effect your right to ride and see who is fighting against them. Don't look at it as just another HD group because it is not. In Florida House Bill 137 targets motorcycles because of our beloved sportbikes that think it is better to run than stop and take their fine or feel they have to ride like a bat out of hell all the time. ABATE is fighting this because it is not right. It discriminates against motorcycles.

Yes, I want to be judged when I'm riding my sportbike. When people see me on my bike with a Helmet, jacket, protective pants, gloves and boots,I want to be judged as someone with a half a brain for wearing gear.
BUt do you want to be judged as some punk that goes 150 everywhere he goes and everyone wants to see you pop a wheelie? Do you want the police to assume you are going to run every time you ride so they try you even if you are not doing anything wrong? I don't, so please don't judge all of us in ABATE as being morons that only care about helmets laws.

To sum it up here, the guys I talked to  
argue.gif
said that to enter the park was $25 Bucks ! Wasn't worth it and they would never go back. As my mechanic said; " WHAT A RIPE OFF
mad.gif
" ! And the others I talked to (and Yeah, they are Harley Guys) said it was just a small HARLEY RALLY, including LOTS of  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Oct. 02 2007,17:49) To sum it up here, the guys I talked to
argue.gif
said that to enter the park was $25 Bucks ! Wasn't worth it and they would never go back. As my mechanic said; " WHAT A RIPE OFF
mad.gif
" ! And the others I talked to (and Yeah, they are Harley Guys) said it was just a small HARLEY RALLY, including LOTS of
beerchug.gif
We are looking into doing something differant with the cost. Alot of the guys want to compare the rally to sparks or pawhuska which have been going on alot longer than ours, this was only our 3rd year. Hopefully we continue to grow and make it enjoyable for those that wish to attend.

I think its a shame you are so willing to judge others by what a few do, and then get so upset when you are so judged yourself. I know many sportbike riders that if I judged all of them by the few that I have seen doing the stupid crap that that type of bike is capable of I am sure that I would assume that everyone on a sportbike is a teenage a-hole. As you appear to feel so strongly I would encourage you to attend an ABATE meeting in your area. We are always welcoming all riders. And as some laws that are proposed more directly affects sportbikes than harleys it might even be beneficial to you. If you take my challenge to go with an open mind and see what it is about instead of assuming we are a bunch of drunken harley riders you might find yourself a new group of riding buddies. Heck we have 2 busa riders in our local chapter.

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 02 2007,15:08)
(GSXcite @ Oct. 02 2007,14:40)
But you dont want to be judged by the guy on a sportbike riding a wheelie in trafic wearing shorts and a t shirt.[/Quote]
But don't you fight for his right to ride without a shirt, helmet or any protective gear? To have his right to choose to be a squid?

(GSXcite @ Oct. 03 2007,06:19) But don't you fight for his right to ride without a shirt, helmet or any protective gear? To have his right to choose to be a squid?
As a matter of fact we do. Much the same as our military fights for the rights of those that do not support their efforts. Alas it is a thankless job...
sad.gif

Back