Response To ABATE

cjaj_70

Registered
I was reading DaCol post about ABATE. It sad that everyone gets grouped together by a few members. We accept all bikes as i ride a busa. We arnt against riders wearing a helmet, we are against being told to do so. There are other things we are helping to do. Have you ever seen the motorcycles use caution signs? ABATE. We are also workin on laws to help protect motorcycle riders from motorist playing on cell phones, anyone ever had a close call with a person on one? Furthermore, its also sad that some of you are not as accepting of the harley riders of abate as they are of you. If you want to learn more about us, join us at any other event. We do alot of poker runs to help charitys, alot of us do things such as patriot guard. He was however correct that our "party" was aimed at adults, we dont wont minors drinking. Anyone with any questions feel free to ask, if you want more information i can point you in a direction of someone that knows alot more of our going ons than me.

Chris

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 01 2007,18:45) Furthermore, its also sad that some of you are not as accepting of the harley riders of abate as they are of you.
I don't know if they're with abate or not, but the one finger wave when I pass is not very diplomatic.

Also, when I see groups of HD's parked, it's at a bar.

I like to drink too. Not while riding though.

You dont think the guys you see on sportbikes doing stupid stuff reflects badly on us? and personally i wont have one drink and ride or drive for that matter.

All stupid riders make us look bad, but you said HD riders are more accepting of us. I don't see it.

When they wave with 2 fingers or more, that'll be a start.

I'm with the majority here.  I used to be an ABATE member, and was told flat out at an ABATE function once that I shouldn't be there if I'm not on a Harley.

Accepting, indeed...

Every crowd or group has its rejects. ABATE, and cruiser riders have their share of problem children. The sport bike community does as well. Having had both types of bikes, I’ve been treated like a leper by both groups at different times. It is their loss as far as I’m concerned. I think what is of utmost importance, is to not ride around with a chip on your shoulder. Sometimes things are said in humor and are taken in offense.

Chris, don’t get me wrong here, I have seen ABATE do some very good things collectively. I do have a hard time understanding a group that is so vocal against helmet laws in the name of freedom, but one the other hand wants to enact legislation to restrict a motorist from using a cell phone to prevent motorcycle fatalities. Obviously some drivers can handle the responsibility and use them when it is “more safeâ€￾ to do so. Others make poor choices like text messaging in 75mph four-lane traffic.

I don’t want this thread to become negative toward ABATE in any way. I’m on the fence on the helmet law, as I see both sides. I do however think there are numerous individuals that do not wear helmets only because of peer pressure.

Honestly, do your fellow ABATE members give you grief over your helmet? I know of an MSF instructor / ABATE member that has voiced this problem to me.

Rick

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 01 2007,17:45) He was however correct that our "party" was aimed at adults, we dont wont minors drinking.
So serving alcohol to a bunch of people who are going to ride a motorcycle home is okay? Is THAT the message a group whose mission is safe riding wants to send?!?
rock.gif

If so I think that is a pile of hypocritical horseshid...

JMHO

(Shibumi @ Oct. 01 2007,19:10)
(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 01 2007,17:45) He was however correct that our "party" was aimed at adults, we dont wont minors drinking.
So serving alcohol to a bunch of people who are going to ride a motorcycle home is okay? Is THAT the message a group whose mission is safe riding wants to send?!?  
rock.gif

If so I think that is a pile of hypocritical horseshid...  

JMHO
amen to that brother

Professor, no one gives me grief about my helmet. They poke fun at me at times about my sport bike buts it the same i give them about hd. Personally i dont want to limit people from using there cell phones, i think there is more that can be done in the way of education, and fines for those who drive recklessly.

Shibumi, our party is a two day even in which you stay at the camp grounds, there is actually less of a chance for people to drink and ride.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 01 2007,19:36) All stupid riders make us look bad, but you said HD riders are more accepting of us. I don't see it.

When they wave with 2 fingers or more, that'll be a start.
That is the way most cruiser riders are in central Florida. You need to come hang out with us in Northeast Florida for a weekend.
ABATE of Florida is a good organization (not a club). I will be at the state ABATE meeting on the 13th in Brooksville if you want to join me and see for yourself shoot me a PM. I will be there on my Busa and representing my chapter. Please have an open mind about what ABATE is about.

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 01 2007,20:49) Shibumi,  our party is a two day even in which you stay at the camp grounds, there is actually less of a chance for people to drink and ride.
This is the same with our event that is coming up on the 13th. The vice president from my chapter was at your event this weekend. Our event is open to everyone at any age (unitl 10 pm).

(cjaj_70 @ Oct. 01 2007,19:48)  Personally i dont want to limit people from using there cell phones, i think there is more that can be done in the way of education, and fines for those who drive recklessly.
beerchug.gif

Got to agree with you there!

(snakeyezzz @ Oct. 01 2007,17:57)
This is the same with our event that is coming up on the 13th. The vice president from my chapter was at your event this weekend. Our event is open to everyone at any age (unitl 10 pm).[/Quote]
I thought we had someone from the florida chapter just wasnt sure who. He may of gotten a chance to see a busa play a couple of the bike games with the rest of them. Ill post a pic when i get one.

I understand ABATE does more than the whole "anti-helmet/pro-choice" debate. It's just hard to disassociate the "anti-helmet" image from the group, especially when a good number of us think it's beyond irresponsible not to wear one.

Kinda of like supporting the NRA even though they want automatic weapons that shoot "cop-killer" bullets. (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL COMPARISON; I KNOW LONGER KNOW WHAT THE NRA's STANCE IS ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT).

(busarider54 @ Oct. 02 2007,05:44) I understand ABATE does more than the whole "anti-helmet/pro-choice" debate.  It's just hard to disassociate the "anti-helmet" image from the group, especially when a good number of us think it's beyond irresponsible not to wear one.  

Kinda of like supporting the NRA even though they want automatic weapons that shoot "cop-killer" bullets.  (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL COMPARISON; I KNOW LONGER KNOW WHAT THE NRA's STANCE IS ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT).
The NRA has never wanted such.
rock.gif

Or did you mean Semi-Automatic? The NRA has allways supported common sense laws when it comes to firearms.

(busarider54 @ Oct. 02 2007,05:44) I understand ABATE does more than the whole "anti-helmet/pro-choice" debate.  It's just hard to disassociate the "anti-helmet" image from the group, especially when a good number of us think it's beyond irresponsible not to wear one.  

Kinda of like supporting the NRA even though they want automatic weapons that shoot "cop-killer" bullets.  (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL COMPARISON; I KNOW LONGER KNOW WHAT THE NRA's STANCE IS ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT).
Irresponsible to whom? A helmet doesn't keep you from hitting a car. In reality, lack of a helmet will keep you traveling at lower speeds. Logic would say it would make more sense to increase the performance mandates on the equipment BEFORE worrying about what the rider is wearing.

Back