87 Octane vs. 89, 91, 93, 94...

PacerX

Registered
I've run the beast on everything allowable according to the manual, and it doesn't knock at 87...

I'm wondering if, since the lower octanes have higher specific energy, that then translates into a performance bonus.

-OR-

Does the Busa respond by pulling timing like the GM LSx series of V8's???

Never had a knock, and I bet the difference is marginal. Just curious since I'll stick with 93 or 94 anyway.

awwww sh!t open the glue factory up so we can beat this dead horse for the trillionth time
laugh.gif

j/k i run 89 all day like harry belifonte and its all good johnny cheese will have all the answers to this 1

We run 95 unleaded in SA or 97 leaded. With no catalyst sys to worry about, all the guys here at the coast run 97. Although only 2 octane difference have noticed the extra kick when on our high speed breakfast runs.

110 oct race fuel is the best. if you can find 200, even better

kiddin. I run 87 [timed to this per manual] since day one, no knocking, faster burn = more power. my bike is not modded at all. and I am not mechanically intelligent at all, so consider the source ;)

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105382360 -->

110 oct race fuel is the best.  if you can find 200, even better

kiddin.  I run 87 [timed to this per manual] since day one, no knocking, faster burn = more power.  my bike is not modded at all.  and I am not mechanically intelligent at all, so consider the source  ;)
Isn't water roughly 200 octane? Betcha ya never git no nockin wit dat stuf.

Anyhoo, I'll try out the 87 for giggles...

Busa runs on 87, Buell needs 91+...

Go figger.

The only thing 87 octane around here is ethenal blend. The manual says you can run it but I don't trust it. So I'm stuck running 91.
blush.gif

I actually get better gas mileage on 87 and I can not tell any difference in performance with other octanes!
Ride safe...

Wow. just another example of how this board answers any and all questions! And most more than once. I used to buy into the high octane is better fuel theory...until 3 minutes ago. the good news is that it will no longer cost me $25 to fill my tank with 100 octane or even $30 for 110. I only spent $40 once for 116. The bad news is I will miss the wonderful spent fuel smell from the exhaust!
I have noticed some gas stations have clear fuel and some are yellow even in the 87 octane varieties...why? I am guessing the clearer the better to reduce deposits. Good assumption?

I run 93 mixed with a little 103 airplane fuel that I get at a local airport. I do that just for the smell though. Seems to turn people on......guess they think I'm running some highly modified bike or something. Get alot of comments......

I live 3000ft above sealevel and I've been running my Busa on 91 octane from day 1. Many of you have claimed 87 makes it a fire breather b/c of the faster rate of burn=less carbon deposits/buildup. Does that also hold true for my town? Are their any ramifications to switching to 87 from 91?

I haven't seen anyone claim "fire-breathing" status from switching to 87 Octane. The difference in performance (power) between 91 and 87 will be minimal and probably undetectable even on a dyno. Why not try a tank or two of 89 first and then, if satisfied that all is well, give 87 a try and save some money.
wink.gif

I live 3000ft above sealevel and I've been running my Busa on 91 octane from day 1. Many of you have claimed 87 makes it a fire breather b/c of the faster rate of burn=less carbon deposits/buildup. Does that also hold true for my town? Are their any ramifications to switching to 87 from 91?
Knocking is the only issue.

The problem with knocking is that you can't always hear it.

The advantage the GM LSx series of motors has over our beloved Hayabusa is the availability of firmware flashing that can update spark tables instead of the kinda lame Power Commanders we have available to us. What this lead to in the aftermarket is a set of extremely powerful naturally aspirated LS1 cars (+500rwhp) that maintain nearly perfect driveability with REALLY aggressive cams.

The secret to "chips" is that if a motor will run acceptably on 87 octane the timing can be altered to make best use of 93 octane and make more power. Automotive PCMs are generally dialed in enough now that "chips" do very, very little (with the exception of diesels - which are a whole 'nother animal...) that would not be done better by remapping the spark tables during a closed loop dyno session.

To my knowledge, no tool out there allows the Busa owner to remap the spark tables on the dyno - PC's only alter the fuel tables. The spark tables are the key we're missing - I am not aware of any manufacturer of motorcycles that has the type of firmware available that allows this.

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105476059 -->

PacerX - Your references to LS1's hit a note with me. I had a `98 SS Camaro 6-speed with Grotyohan headers/custom exhaust, 150 shot of NOS, and many suspension mods for launching. It made almost 470 RWHP with 557 Ft-Lbs. torque with an internally stock engine. 18" wheelies with MT ET Street tires were common. It hooked well enough that it would eat a $600 Centerforce clutch after TWO hard launches. I loved it but the clutch problem eventually got me down. Long live the LS1 and its new big brother, the mighty LS7...!
smile.gif

Tom's LS1

PacerX - Your references to LS1's hit a note with me. I had a `98 SS Camaro 6-speed with Grotyohan headers/custom exhaust, 150 shot of NOS, and many suspension mods for launching. It made almost 470 RWHP with 557 Ft-Lbs. torque with an internally stock engine. 18" wheelies with MT ET Street tires were common. It hooked well enough that it would eat a $600 Centerforce clutch after TWO hard launches. I loved it but the clutch problem eventually got me down. Long live the LS1 and its new big brother, the mighty LS7...!
smile.gif

Tom's LS1
Your setup and mine on my 2001 SS sound very similar.

I'm stock crank (a work of art), forged rods, headers, forged pistons, Stage 2 heads and cam and a snootful of happy gas. My Spec clutch has held up so far, but syncros in my T56 have been the weak link... with the new Z06, more robust T56 parts shall make better parts more available and less expensive.

So... did ya blow up your 10 bolt???
bomb.gif
I kilt mine deader than a doornail in a big old hurry!!!!
grim.gif

GM Published Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers:
11.7's @ 127mph
200mph top speed

$65,000-$75,000 list...

KNEEL SUCKERS!

Teh mighty LS7 is about to lay some serious smack down on a WHOLE BUNCH of wannabes and poser cars.
super.gif

EDIT: MAN, what a phenominal collection of cars and bikes you own/owned. We share many common tastes and many of those cars I would like to own to this day!

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105538213 -->

At the risk of being far off topic, I hear `ya man. I had 3:73 gears very carefully setup with frequently freshened bearings and the rear end stayed together...to everyone's amazement including mine. It ran 11.8 - 11.9 @ 120 - 121 mostly at Desoto Memorial in Bradenton, FL and sometimes at Moroso near Miami. People were stunned by the fact my heads had NEVER been off. hehehe Surprised a Viper once and also a new blown Mustang. It was just too much fun with 20+ mileage on the Interstate.

Thanks for your kind comments. Your collection don't look too shabby either, especially the `63 Nova. Later man! `Scuse our diversion and enthusiasm folks.
tounge.gif

Back