Gasoline: Octane - 87 vs 91/92

Hayabusa=Mistress

Registered
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX-1300R.
"Power" modifications: Yoshi dual pipes and TRE.

I was reading a thread on here a couple weeks ago about using 91/92 octane vs Suzuki's recommendation of 87 octane (in which I couldn't post because it was closed), and decided to do a litte experiment of my own.

For the next two weeks following the day I read that thread, including today, I have been riding with 87 octane (I've always been riding with 91/92 octane before that - I have documented the way it rides with the higher octane).

To try and make the experiment neutral, I've tried to sustain as much variables as possible and only alter/change one variable: gasoline octane rating.

I ride at the same pace, at the same locations, at the same type of roads (ratio of highways vs county roads, suburbs, and city roads), etc (only to work and school).

I remember vividly how riding with 91/92 octane was (I've taken notes beforehand) and compared it to what it was like riding with 87 octane (I also took notes ;) ). I came to a conclusion that riding with 87 octane is noticeably more smooth on the motorcycle. Despite all of the other professional research, MY CONCLUSION after the experiment, in which I tried to do as professional as I can, is that running 87 octane in my Hayabusa made it more smooth.

Smoother how? Smoother in throttle response overall (ie: part throttle or abrupt speed change - acceleration/deceleration). I remember always chopping the throttle with 91/92 octane and it would sometime feel as if it took a split second for it to take off in comparison to the rapid response I felt with 87 octane.

You guys may call me crazy, but it was my real-life experimental conclusion. That's why manufacturer's typically know best - they designed the machines! :thumbsup:

IIRC, the manual had always specified Regular (87) for Gen I and Premium (91-up) for Gen II. So you eventually went with what the manual said????

oh no another octane argument coming...

Run whichever you want. It really doesnt matter too much or there wouldnt be so many different opinions!

I run 93 but im about to try out each octane one by one noting everything form how the bike runs with each to startups and so on

The 87 seems to me to burn better. In my old HD the factory called for min of 91 octane. I did this experiment on it and the bike always felt like it ran better on 87. If its good enough for Suzuki- its good enough for me. Personal taste i guess.

i havent got to try it on my busa yet cause im still puttin her together, but my mom's vulcan 1600 runs 200% better on 89 and when she ran 93 for about 2 weeks engine started making a knocking sound, but as soon as she switched back to 89 it went away and ran smoother aswell

You can go to "How stuff works" for a full outline of Octane ratings, but the short story is the higher the Octane the more compression it take to ignite. if the engine does not require higher octane( read as high compression) then the high octane will do nothing for performance.:rulez:

You can go to "How stuff works" for a full outline of Octane ratings, but the short story is the higher the Octane the more compression it take to ignite. if the engine does not require higher octane( read as high compression) then the high octane will do nothing for performance.:rulez:

AKA higher octane = more stable less prone to detonation

AKA higher octane = more stable less prone to detonation

I have a question.

If higher octane is more effective in higher-compression engines, would putting higher-octane gasoline in engines like the first-gen Busa (relatively lower compression) mean having extra carbon build-up? Because it is "more stable" and "less prone to detonation?" Like having extra material that doesn't burn out completely.

Just curious. ???

being more stable means it doesnt combust until the spark plugs fires,
example compression builds heat and lower octane rated fuel will combust from the heat before the spark plug fires, thats why people with high performance engines use higher octane rated fuel so it doesnt detonate

detonation is when the fuel ignites while the piston is still moving up in the compression stroke, and it puts holes in the piston crown.

Last edited:
When I did this test early on, I made sure to test for at least three tanks of gas, just to be sure that all the fuel had been run through the lines and that whatever acclimation the motor needed had been accomplished.

The bike ran much better, seemed to get noticeably more power and got at least 15% better gas mileage.

It sold ME on the 87!

Now, we have 88 and 86 and it seems to do better on the 88 than the 86.

--Wag--

Yeah just put 87 in my bike today for the first time in forever and the bike idles better and runs smoother with better throttle response. I think 87 is the best out of the choice of 89 and 93 for non turbo busas

Now to see if it helps my startups any better... been having trouble with that a tiny bit lately. Ill check see what my gas mileage is too. ive been getting 34mpg on base and 43mpg in town

I always thought the higher the better and after going to the drag track I was told that my bike would run better times on shell 86-87 I tried it and it did drop my time by 2 10th the guy explained to me that with out adj. the timming it couldn't burn any more octane I guess he is right.

Back