Fuel additives

nimzondn

Registered
I've been using the search tools to find topics and info on fuel system additives to help keep the jets, screens, etc. in good clean condition.  I can only find posts that are in other topics so I decided to start a thread specifically on fuel system preventative maintenance.

What's the opinions here on fuel treatments?

Is it recommended to use fuel additives to clean the jets, screens, etc.?

What brands do people use if they do?

I used 93 octane for my first two tanks of gas (not knowing any better).  After reading posts here and reading the manual, I've changed to 87 octane. Is there any benefits to using 89 octane instead of 87?  (and do many people use 93 even though the manual says use 87 minimum?)

thanks

<!--EDIT|nimzondn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145884308 -->

No benefit to using a higher octane gas than called for (87).

As to fuel additives from the research I've done, and from what I've read here at the org Chevron Techron is good stuff. You can get it at just about any auto parts store.

I used it at 2000 miles. I didn't really have any symptoms calling for it but I like to practice preventive maintenance whenever possible.

Hope this helps
cool.gif

I like Chemtool stuff... It is the only thing I've had that I could actually tell the difference after the it ran through the tank. My Busa only has 20k miles on it and has not had time to built up the mess that the Chemtool cleaned out. I use the stuff about once a year.

I think that everyone has their own way of preventative maintenance for keeping their engine as clean as can be with minimal carbon buildup. I'm no expert, but you always hear individuals swear by their way of doing things. I've heard of using various fuel treatments per tank, once a month, using 93 octane every tank, every other tank, etc. Carbon buildup is going to happen. How much do you want to slow it down and how much do you want to spend? My personal opinion is most products on the shelf are basically the same, but some may cause damage to your motor if you don't read the label carefully. Just be careful with what you use. Remember.. keep your engine tuned and at least follow the manufacturer's recommended intervals for most,if not all, maintenance.

Thanks for the feedback. I do maintenance checkouts every week and I do TCLOCS before every ride. If I ride a long ride, I'll check it out the next day or that night. I'm fairly new to motorcycles (one year of ownership; 2 months of busa ownership), so I'm always in a learning mode now.

This is the place to be if you want your bike to last and be fun to ride. I come here every day to find out new stuff.

regards
ndn

+1 on the BG stuff, had a hayabusa mechanic tell me about it a year ago, been using it ever since.

Back