7 killed overnight in Chicago shootings..what happened to their strict gun laws?

You want to know something scary, look up how many people are killed every year by "DRUNK DRIVERS" and people "TEXTING WHILE DRIVING"........gun related deaths will be the last of your worries....

We should ban cars and cell phones.
Folks would be a lot safer.
Along the way ban steak knives and cigarettes , they kill more than guns !

I have mixed feelings about this, being a gun owner (Ruger 45 p-90) the home defender (Mossberg 500 pistol grip pump) Sig 40 cal, and growing up in DC when crack first hit the streets and seeing all the death and destruction in the 90's when we averaged maybe 400 - 500 murders a year many innocent people just in the wrong place or sitting in their homes were killed by strays mainly over money and control of street corners that made millions, one summer I think i went to 17 funerals of good and bad guys and I was in the 11th grade, i mean it says something when you join the military to get away from violence.

I had no problem with DC having strict gun laws, which I believe started in the early 80's due to the cheap cost and easy availability of (Saturday night specials) the laws made it tougher and provided some consequence for the bad guys that got caught with them, who knows how many guns would be on the street without the laws even though do to the open policy in VA and MD guns were still easily available, maybe the same in the Chicago area, so the gun law is only one piece to the random gun violence problem, on the other hand I rather get caught with it than without when needed.

An unpopular spot to be certain, but not sore. I have no trouble defending my right to bear arms. I can and will defend it time and time again regardless of whom is trying to argue the point.

This "unfortunate" incident is an example of why gun laws do not work. In fact, it's not just an example, it's a beacon of truth. With great freedom comes great responsibility, and I choose to exercise that right with great care and a fervent defense of my family and friends.

It's sad that every time I turn a dark corner, I must prepare myself for an eventuality that may some day come true. It's sad that every time my dogs bark, I think to myself, is this the night when they're coming to rob me? It's sad that every time I pull up to a dark intersection, I have to remind myself that my gun is only seconds away, yet a carjacker may be quicker.

These are symptoms of a free society. And this is the price we pay to live in such a society. We are a homogeneous country, filled with races and ethnicities from across the world. No other country on the globe has such diversity, and sadly, as a result, no other country suffers from such crime. We suffer from crimes of the past, slavery, segregation, class welfare, etc. These demons haunt us today with an unproportional number of impoverished black and Latino families. Poverty causes crime, it's a fact. America does not suffer from crime because of guns, we suffer because of a unique dynamic of wealth and racial inequality. No law and no amount of reparations will ever solve that. And no gun laws will remove the angst and hatred that can be found in any ghetto or slum. Short of complete martial law, you will never rid our streets of guns. And you most certainly will never rid them of knives, bats, clubs, etc. As long as man walks erect, he will find ways to do harm to his fellow man. It doesn't matter if a man is murdered by gun or by fist, his life still holds the same value.

As I said, we live free, we die free, and we must accept the consequences of living in a land that offers us every opportunity in life to excel. We must help our fellow man to realize those opportunities, we must educate our children to become self-reliant, turn away from the hand of Uncle Sam and become a true American, complete with the right to defend our life, liberty and property. If it takes the death of seven individuals to wake up just one person, then I dare say it's worthy of an education. There is no disrespect in educating your fellow man about their freedoms.

One of the best posts ever made to Hayabusa.org. :beerchug:

Sounds a bit like paranoia. Every time I hear my dog bark, I think man shut up already. Every time I walk in my neighborhood at night I think, what a beautiful night. Ever time I pull up into a dark intersection, I think to myself how nice it is to have some peace and quiet for once and not seeing everyone rushing around to get things done.

Should I be scared that someone may take my wallet if I dont have a gun? Or someone may break into my house and steal my stuff if I dont have a gun? Or someone may try to steal my car If I dont have a gun? Well, Im not. All those things can be replaced. If im going to walk around the rest of my life wondering how and when I might have to use my gun to keep me from dieing, then well, I dont think living would be worth it.

Just my .02

Now im done talking about guns. See you in the next thread :thumbsup:

And you say you live in DETROIT?

I have mixed feelings about this, being a gun owner (Ruger 45 p-90) the home defender (Mossberg 500 pistol grip pump) Sig 40 cal, and growing up in DC when crack first hit the streets and seeing all the death and destruction in the 90's when we averaged maybe 400 - 500 murders a year many innocent people just in the wrong place or sitting in their homes were killed by strays mainly over money and control of street corners that made millions, one summer I think i went to 17 funerals of good and bad guys and I was in the 11th grade, i mean it says something when you join the military to get away from violence.

I had no problem with DC having strict gun laws, which I believe started in the early 80's due to the cheap cost and easy availability of (Saturday night specials) the laws made it tougher and provided some consequence for the bad guys that got caught with them, who knows how many guns would be on the street without the laws even though do to the open policy in VA and MD guns were still easily available, maybe the same in the Chicago area, so the gun law is only one piece to the random gun violence problem, on the other hand I rather get caught with it than without when needed.

SLO MO, I have a question for you.

What are DC's gun laws now, and did banning guns help the crime rate, or did it just enable the criminals to have guns? You have all these weapons, were you able to have them under the old DC Gun ban?

The recent Supreme Court case upheld a DC Homeowners right to have a gun in the house and overturned DC's gun laws. Now, at least the criminals may have to be a little more wary when they break into someone's home as they may too be armed...

Its proven that states that implimented stricter gun control laws had their crime rates lowered.

oh :bs:

Gun control laws are a prime example of how the liberal/progressive mind
does not function logically...at all.

Taking away law abiding citizen' guns...defies all and any common sense.

Please fill me in where someone is taking away your guns?

Edit: So all liberals dont carry guns and are for gun control? stereo type much?

Last edited:

Agreed...look at new york. Gun free zones have higher crime rates

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Just wanted to thank you for adding nothing to this conversation other then spreading your hate to others that dont agree with your logic of thinking. :beerchug:

Agreed...look at new york. Gun free zones have higher crime rates

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Then buy a gun, Noones stoping you. ???

Edit: So all liberals dont carry guns and are for gun control? stereo type much?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The liberal/progressive/DEMOCRATS have been trying to take away the guns
for 30+ years...Dianne Feinstein, Shummer, Clinton, Kennedy...where have you been? ???

And no, I don't see a lot (if any) of conservitive Republicans in favor of gun control. (other than hitting the target)

Not all democrats may be in favor of gun control, but all (or just about all)
in favor of gun control are democrats.

Just wanted to thank you for adding nothing to this conversation other then spreading your hate to others that dont agree with your logic of thinking. :beerchug:

Your welcome, but it isn't hate...here we go..."you disagree so it must be hate" :rofl::rofl:
It is what it is, gun control logic...isn't...logic that it.

Liberals/progressive think more with emotion than logic. They live in rainbow and
unicorn land and the numbers and simple common sense just do not or are not applied.

I remember seeing a poster with kids wearing back packs heading towards a
school bus and the copy read,
The Clinton Assualt weapons ban is setting, call your Congressment
or assault weapons will follow our children back to school

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
The Clinton Assualt Weapons Ban....stupidity in action...
What a ridiculas piece (the poster) of emotional misinfromation about the most
worthless piece of "feel good political correct" legislation...but it's typical.

I've got a POS nephew...been arrested 13 times in 10 years (and more since he was a juvi)
for an example 1 arrest had 7 charges on it...he was already a felon and his
charges consisted of 4 counts aggrevated assualt with a deadly weapon,
1 count felon in possession of a firearm, 1 count concealed weapon no permit,
1 count firearm with serial number removed or filed off...he got house arrest.

That's just 1 arrest and just about all have had a firearm charge. His last one this
past december is for domestic violence AND felon in possession of a firearm..
what...again....what a surprise. He got 30 days....How about locking the POS
up for 10-20 years before he kills someone.

Do you think when he gets out...he's not going to have a gun ??? The liberal
mindsets plan is take away mine out of my safe...genius...that'll work.

I haven't been participating in the discussion because others have already said
some good things.

Last edited:
Yes I do. Whats your point?

Detroit is not exactly known for it's kindness...safe at night I would not feel. Stats are a little dated, but...

TEN WORST LARGE CITIES FOR MURDER, 2002 CITY PER 100,000
(1) Washington, DC 45.8
(2) Detroit 42.0
(3) Baltimore 38.3
(4) Memphis 24.7
(5) Chicago 22.2
(6) Philadelphia 19.0
(7) Columbus 18.1
(8) Milwaukee 18.0
(9) Los Angeles 17.5
(10) Dallas 15.8

I've lived in Memphis, and I sure has heck didn't feel safe at a stop light at night. It's actually why I got a carry permit in the first place. I guess sometimes being oblivious to your surroundings can be a blessing...

Last edited:
Then buy a gun, Noones stoping you. ???

there are people/lawmakers that stop individuals from buying a gun. i cannot buy a gun in this state im working in currently, because im not from an adjoining state. does nothing for safety or anything.

N.Y. has some silly gun control laws as well. if your in the state the ammo and the pistol must both be locked in seperate compartments.

cali has all kinds of laws banning "assault" weapons. last time i checked assualt weapon is a made up term, used by anti gun people for scare tactics.

theres no real valid argument, against gun ownership. do i think some of the laws should be as loose as they are. probably not. i dont agree with open carry either. i wouldnt have any problem with a wait on my gun purchase, but i have a HUGE problem with someone limiting what i can own based on a made up silly term or criteria.

like a ban on bayonets. im sure that saved countless lives.

or a ban on pistol grips with detachable mags. its all stupid.

i cant buy a gun here but i can drink 24hrs a day and jump behind the wheel of a vehicle. priorities seem a lil out of wack to me.

even if you consider just the economic standpoint. i wouldve spent a few thousand in a local gun shop. but cant cause some politician figured out how to make a state safe.

Daley, Bloomberg, Arnold (not even gonna try to spell his last name), these are just a few trying to make a name for themselves by doing it. The point is we shouldn't even be having this discussion ever. What part of "shall not be infringed upon" do you not understand? If you think we will wait until our rights have been taken away to put up a fight, then you are mistaken.

If you want to put an end to provoked violence and death then I suggest the Libtards go after the first ammendment. I've seen more people get the snot knocked out of them to the degree of permanent physical damage as well as how many people have been killed because of something they said. I don't see the Libtards offering up the right to free speech.

Oh and on the topic of countries with gun bans, most of them also do not have freedom of the press, speech etc. So when a gun death occurs they can simply muzzle the media so they don't look like idiots. I travel to Chicago every other week and I was there when the news report said "12 shot in 24 hrs- 7 dead", the first thing out of my mouth was "how is this possible in a city that banned guns?" It's easy, when you take guns from law abiding citizens, only the criminals will have them.

Rise in Crime Evokes New York City?s Unruly Past - NYTimes.com

Homicides are up nearly 22 percent in 2010, compared with the same period last year. Shootings are up in the city, to 293 from 257, a 14 percent increase. And there are more victims of gunfire: 351 through April 4, up from 318 in the same period a year ago.

I would suspect that the economy this last year has something to do with the increased crime statistics. Your stats don't say how many instances were self-defense or jusitified, only that shootings increased. If we are lucky, more criminals got shot than law-abiding citizens protecting themselves.

Back