45 vs 46 Tooth Rear Sprocket

DragginBusa

Registered
Hey everyone! I wanted to get feedback from those with the above sprockets to see what your experiences are with them in terms of overall performance (I am tinkering over the winter with my baby :laugh: ). I also want to know how difficult it is to keep the front down with the 46 compared to the 45 as I want to do some track days next year (and other "spirited" rides) and being up on my rear wheel all the time is not necessarily desirable (but very fun). Just so you know my stats...I'm 6'6" and 240lbs, I ride pretty hard, and love the twisties.

Thanks everyone!

I run a stock front and a 46 rear. I mostly drag race, but the gearing seems pretty good over all for street riding/highway riding and also drag racing. The RPM's aren't crazy high in 6th gear which is pretty nice. I held off on going -1 in the front because I didn't want the bike screaming on the highway

46 will definitely make the front wheel come up easier then the 45...
I run a 45 for this reason, like you love the wheelies, but its not practicable.

Tyron, that being said does your front come up at all (well easier than stock) or does it pretty much act like the stock in terms of how it comes up, just quicker acceleration, etc...?

Hey everyone! I wanted to get feedback from those with the above sprockets to see what your experiences are with them in terms of overall performance (I am tinkering over the winter with my baby :laugh: ). I also want to know how difficult it is to keep the front down with the 46 compared to the 45 as I want to do some track days next year (and other "spirited" rides) and being up on my rear wheel all the time is not necessarily desirable (but very fun). Just so you know my stats...I'm 6'6" and 240lbs, I ride pretty hard, and love the twisties.

We are pretty close in rider size I am 6ft7 and around 240 also. 09 with a 4-2-1 Carbon Akrapovic with the silencer removed. I am running a stock front with a 46 on the rear. Sitting on stock suspension The front will begin to rise in first at WOT around 5500-6000 RPMS it will flip if you stay in it past 9500 at WOT, shifting 2nd it will raise up around 8000 and carry it into 3rd. 3rd it will not power wheelie but if you crack it wot it will lift. Its not a bad gearing and I am thinking it will top out around 167-170 MPH on GPS with the stock limiter in 6th
I do notice the rear tire life is shortened by about 1500 miles but I do like the power wheelies:thumbsup:

We are pretty close in rider size I am 6ft7 and around 240 also. 09 with a 4-2-1 Carbon Akrapovic with the silencer removed. I am running a stock front with a 46 on the rear. Sitting on stock suspension The front will begin to rise in first at WOT around 5500-6000 RPMS it will flip if you stay in it past 9500 at WOT, shifting 2nd it will raise up around 8000 and carry it into 3rd. 3rd it will not power wheelie but if you crack it wot it will lift. Its not a bad gearing and I am thinking it will top out around 167-170 MPH on GPS with the stock limiter in 6th
I do notice the rear tire life is shortened by about 1500 miles but I do like the power wheelies:thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback really glad to hear back from someone of simmer stature and size! Out of curiosity how quick is it raising on you when it is power wheeling it up in those gears?

Thanks.

I have 18/46 gearing on my 08, and I'm 195lbs in leathers.
The bike wheelies much easier than stock under hard throttle in 1st through 3rd.
After removing the restrictions in ecu editor it will now literally loop you into the road if you let it in 1st and 2nd if you just nail it from a slow roll.
I can easily wheelie my Busa stock for over a mile, and the 46t rear makes it even easier to bring up.
The front lifts at around 6k under throttle alone, and you must shift weight forward onto the tank and use some finess with the throttle to continue hard acceleration.
18/46 is great gearing for hard street riding, but not ideal for dragracing a stock wheelbase bike.:beerchug:

Thanks for the feedback really glad to hear back from someone of simmer stature and size! Out of curiosity how quick is it raising on you when it is power wheeling it up in those gears?

Thanks.

The Busa has a smooth power curve so you get no surprise like a KX60 power band LOL! Now if you whack the throttle is will raise quick roll on its a great feeling.
I cant compare it to stock OEM exhaust cause I didnt run the 46T. I switched exhaust with the 43 and the exhaust gave it more HP which raised the front end sooner in the RPM.
Overall the 46 is fun for street riding but it causes the front end to raise under power even in B-mode.
I went to the 46 cause my cruising speed on the interstate put me in the 4500-5000 RPM range which you know creates the vibration which I didnt like on higway rides.

Another question...I plan on doing a few trackdays this year...is the 46t going to be too much for the track? Worried about keeping the front down now in a corner (coming out of a corner is fine but mid corner is not lol).

Another question...I plan on doing a few trackdays this year...is the 46t going to be too much for the track? Worried about keeping the front down now in a corner (coming out of a corner is fine but mid corner is not lol).

It'll be fine

As stated, the Hayabusa has a smooth power band. Now I wouldnt run a 1/4 turn throttle with a 46T sprocket on a stock wheel based Busa.
Its all in throttle control

Also, hope you have a speedo healer cause increasing your rear sprocket will put your speedometer at a + 14-15% error. 65MPH will read almost 75MPH on your speedo.

Back