45 vs 46 Tooth Rear Sprocket

DragginBusa,

I run a 17/45 combination on my 08. I'm about 240lbs, and my bike is extended about 6-8 inches over stock. If I want I can still get it up, but you have to work for it. However it's the best combination for me. I tired a 18/47 combo didn't do it for me, then I went 17/47 and it sucked even worst. It throw my PRM's to fast and wasn't going anywhere. So like I said 17/45 is great for me. Street riding the PRM's are a little higher than stock, but the throttle response is there at all times. We do a lot of roll on racing out here, and let me tell you if we are in the same gear when we roll off, I will pull away from you so quick it isn't funny. As far as my top end, I still run with the best of them. Have to put a speed-healer on to recal my tach. But other than that, I love it. GONE

DragginBusa,

I run a 17/45 combination on my 08. I'm about 240lbs, and my bike is extended about 6-8 inches over stock. If I want I can still get it up, but you have to work for it. However it's the best combination for me. I tired a 18/47 combo didn't do it for me, then I went 17/47 and it sucked even worst. It throw my PRM's to fast and wasn't going anywhere. So like I said 17/45 is great for me. Street riding the PRM's are a little higher than stock, but the throttle response is there at all times. We do a lot of roll on racing out here, and let me tell you if we are in the same gear when we roll off, I will pull away from you so quick it isn't funny. As far as my top end, I still run with the best of them. Have to put a speed-healer on to recal my tach. But other than that, I love it. GONE

Edit....I read it wrong. That would be about the same as 18/48??

Also by the sounds of it 17/45 would be approx same as just doing +3 in rear, although +3 in rear would be a bit torquier because you are not losing some of that down low power you usually lose when dropping 1 in the front and going up 2 in the rear.

Another question...I plan on doing a few trackdays this year...is the 46t going to be too much for the track? Worried about keeping the front down now in a corner (coming out of a corner is fine but mid corner is not lol).

If you are serious about track days I'd be cautious about big changes in gearing. Corners are all about proper throttle control. Low gearing can make the throttle jerky and difficult to manage. Chopping the throttle when the front comes up will cost you at least two bike lengths. If you can't manage the throttle well enough to keep the front down then you are not doing yourself any favors with lower gearing.

An example of how gearing affects road racing, my son's gsxr1K holds the track record at Pacific Raceway. The bike came stock with a 43T rear sprocket, for road racing the bike performs best with a 39T rear. My point is, gearing your bike lower can be a handicap rather than an asset.

The trick to being fast out of the corners is managing the rear tire spin while standing the bike up. Most new riders wait until the bike is almost fully upright before increasing the throttle roll on which kills your straight speed.

If you are serious about track days I'd be cautious about big changes in gearing. Corners are all about proper throttle control. Low gearing can make the throttle jerky and difficult to manage. Chopping the throttle when the front comes up will cost you at least two bike lengths. If you can't manage the throttle well enough to keep the front down then you are not doing yourself any favors with lower gearing.

An example of how gearing affects road racing, my son's gsxr1K holds the track record at Pacific Raceway. The bike came stock with a 43T rear sprocket, for road racing the bike performs best with a 39T rear. My point is, gearing your bike lower can be a handicap rather than an asset.

The trick to being fast out of the corners is managing the rear tire spin while standing the bike up. Most new riders wait until the bike is almost fully upright before increasing the throttle roll on which kills your straight speed.

Thanks! I am good on throttle control but want a bit more grunt. I was thinking because of the aggressiveness of the 46T and how easily it lifts up of doing the 45T instead so I get best of both worlds. My concern is that I am 240lbs and I am an avid gym rat and plan on putting on more weight over some time so want to choose correctly. I am not planning on doing trackdays every weekend but hopefully a few a year and once a year I usually go to Tennessee to do some riding (including the dragon/gap) so I want something that is going to respond well for aggressive street riding as well (ride aggressively at home as well).

Nice. You ever take it to track (not drag strip) with the 46T on it? If so how did it handle?
Yes I have taken to the dragstrip in stock trim which was a waste of time. As far as a road course track no, I have ridden the dragon with the 46 sprocket and its awesome!
As Tuf stated you will need to have throttle control. I can ride the bike hard without the front end rising but its not like the 46 where you can WOT! I will admit though on a track with other riders its going to be difficult cause you want to go as fast as you can coming out of the turns to where with the 43 you can roll on WOT in 2nd but not with the 46 you will lift up to around 100MPH.

I drag knees on the street and 3rd and 4th gear will handle almost any turn(with 18/46 gearing gen2), even with a tight decreasing radius. 2nd isn't needed, or useful for curves, as said it will lift. 3rd will lift too, but not agressively enough to be a problem when exiting turns.
For a track guy trying to win races I would assume it is definately not ideal gearing. For street fun and the occasional trackday, sure.
At 195lbs in leathers, under wot I can back off the throttle and snap it again in 4th gear at well over 100mph, and get about a 6"wheelie for a couple seconds:laugh: 3rd will stand up if I want it it to...WANT in to.
Otherwise it's smooth. It's all in the wrist!:thumbsup:

Nice. You ever take it to track (not drag strip) with the 46T on it? If so how did it handle?

If you haven't noticed by now, read most any of Lankeeyankee's posts, or watch his videos.
He is hopelessly addicted to having his front wheel in the air...which I can totally respect:laugh:
So you're just gonna have to get a +2 or 3 and see for yourself.:laugh:

I drag knees on the street and 3rd and 4th gear will handle almost any turn(with 18/46 gearing gen2), even with a tight decreasing radius. 2nd isn't needed, or useful for curves, as said it will lift. 3rd will lift too, but not agressively enough to be a problem when exiting turns.
For a track guy trying to win races I would assume it is definately not ideal gearing. For street fun and the occasional trackday, sure.
At 195lbs in leathers, under wot I can back off the throttle and snap it again in 4th gear at well over 100mph, and get about a 6"wheelie for a couple seconds:laugh: 3rd will stand up if I want it it to...WANT in to.
Otherwise it's smooth. It's all in the wrist!:thumbsup:

After you've done a few track days you may change your opinion. Throttle "RPM" is what stabilizes the bike in any turn. You should never be in 4th gear with your knee down at any speed less than triple digits. If you want your bike stable in the corners, keep the RPM in the top 1/3 of the RPM range.

After you've done a few track days you may change your opinion. Throttle "RPM" is what stabilizes the bike in any turn. You should never be in 4th gear with your knee down at any speed less than triple digits. If you want your bike stable in the corners, keep the RPM in the top 1/3 of the RPM range.

4th gear knee down IS over 100mph. Got a few great big sweepers out here.
I agree with having the rpms up too. 18/46 keeps them up through most turns I ride, and staying in 3rd works well. Going down to second can be done, but it's just more agressive than I care to ride anymore.
As I said, "street fun", as unfortunately I'm no track guy.
But if you weren't on the wrong coast I'de love to see whatcha got old man:poke:
Just because I can't back it up doesn't mean I won't talk it either... but I would challenge you on the back tire though:laugh:

QUOTE=sixpack577;2818452]... but I would challenge you on the back tire though:laugh:[/QUOTE]

That may not be a real safe bet :dunno:

Cotton Fields on Vimeo

Yep, too bad you live on the wrong coast, we could have some serious fun up here! :cheerleader:

That may not be a real safe bet :dunno:

Cotton Fields on Vimeo

Yep, too bad you live on the wrong coast, we could have some serious fun up here! :cheerleader:

That the best you got old man?:poke::laugh:
I'll take that bet!:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Yessiree, that's the best I've got!

Bring your wallet and your scooter and give me a whoopin! :please:

Either wheel, makes no difference to me! :tongue2:

Cropped Stoppie 09-2.jpg

Go one down in the front and save some cash (-1 in front =about +3 on rear)

If you haven't noticed by now, read most any of Lankeeyankee's posts, or watch his videos.
He is hopelessly addicted to having his front wheel in the air...which I can totally respect:laugh:
So you're just gonna have to get a +2 or 3 and see for yourself.:laugh:

No..... your the wheelie king here I see your avatar standing on the pegs.:beerchug: beer to that! I tried that position and I am to hunched over guess being 6ft7 its to much of a reach. I am just an old dragracer that loves the busas 46 gearing to toat the front wheel.
From what it feels like on the street its fun, on the dragstrip with stock wheelbase and no strapping the front end its challenging to get past the 1/8 with the front wheel down, and I personally dont think I would go 46 for a road course racing against others but I dont know I am not a track knee dragger.

That the best you got old man?:poke::laugh:
I'll take that bet!:thumbsup:

Yessiree, that's the best I've got!

Bring your wallet and your scooter and give me a whoopin! :please:

Either wheel, makes no difference to me! :tongue2:[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to take a shot at you on the back tire!
Maybe we can do a lap on one wheel and then you can show me how it's done on two.:thumbsup:
I'm still saving my change old man, so you never know:poke::laugh:
Nice stoppie too.

Back