2nd Hit From Behind.

Getn off

Registered
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I recently was rear ended, again. First time was about a year ago on a Toys for Tots ride. I was on my M109R and was in the very middle of a pack of about 40 bikes. Long story short, a Honda Civic cut someone off a few behind me and rear ended a Honda Shadow (2 up). When he fell, it launched into a Victory Vision. When he fell it launched into me. I tried to steer towards the dirt and just made it. I landed about a foot into the dirt and just barely clipped my buddy on a Yami in front of me. Did about $500 in damages and I broke both pinkies. Guy took off btw.
Dec 16, I was just taking the bikes out for a warm up since it has been cold, and I have been pretty busy. I have a small loop I ride of about 4 miles. Interceptor went fine. M109R went fine. Was making my last turn on the Busa onto my street when a tool in a (very nice) custome Sreet Glide rear ended me! He hit my tire and rear fairing and light. I saw him at a light about a mile back. So, when I turned on my signal, I looked for him right. Nothing. I leaned over more to make sure he was not anywhere near me. Nope. I almost used a hand signal too, but thought against it. He must have been excellerating like hell. I did not go down. He was not so lucky. His rubber line was about 75' long and then he laid it over. That gouge went another 30' or so. He and his gf were ejected. She ended up face down in the intersection out cold. I stalled my bike and jumped off to help her until paramedics arrived. Then I walked over to him (he just kept pacing. In shock I'm sure) and asked if he was ok. He begins to yell at me and ask what the hell was I doing! I told him that I was turning right, which is why I was slowing down and my right turning indicator was flashing. He tells me that I can't turn right from the left side of the lane. Wtf? I always use the left side of the lane and when I turn, my line lines up with the left side of the new lane. Not sure how he rides.... Well, I know how he rides.
Anyway, they both went for an ambulance ride. I was able to ride home.
Jacked up my license plate and bracket, my rear light, and my rear fairing. Found some used pieces and some new. Ended up costing me about $350. I got off lucky. Not sure if he has insurance and he is from TX. Not going to wait around and see.
This was a very lazy ride. I was not doggin it at all. I almost went full squid, but changed my mind at the last second.
More a a vent than anything here. But here are a few pics.
Be safe out there.
Troy
Btw, I guess she aint "FAS NUF" or we wouldn't have been hit from behind! The irony!

That sucks. You'd think another random motorcycle rider would not hit you like that. In a group ride, sure, anything can happen but out on the street you'd think they would be riding somewhat aware just to stay safe from the cagers.

Your lane is your lane, ride anywhere in it you want and turn from anywhere in it you want. When I used to street ride I preferred the inside wheel track so that I had some asphalt on both sides of me in case something happened. If you are in the right wheel track you invite others to share you lane and you also have no space to move right to avoid something.

I really like your yellow, but after buying stock pieces a couple time for my grey bike I decided that painting my bikes allowed me to fix stuff inexpensively and quickly. My blue bike cracked the nose fairing from stress and age so I just bought a scratched nose off Ebay for $125 shipped and it's a good as new now. I would be tempted to paint your whole bike a similar yellow color (that yellow looks like Chevy yellow) and then fixing or replacing panels is easy.

That's sort of thing makes you realize how much random chance plays in our lives , and again disturbingly on our bikes . Sounds like that bloke is a full bobohead , trying to blatt past and show off to his old lady I bet , well she probably ain't going on the back of the bike with him no more . Glad you got out of this okay Getn off , take care , stay upright bro .

I am astounded at all the stories I hear of people who make illegal moves then yell at at the people they hit. A good friend got hit on a roundabout (in his SUV). The perpetrator yelled at him, but he took the perp back 20 steps and showed him the lane signs. "Oh" was all he could say. I do not think he apologized either. Too bad these peoples' skills and kindness do not match their extraordinary levels of arrogance and anger.

I know us bikers are supposed to be the bad guys but a lot of cagers hit and run on bikers. My buddy was cut off by a lady in a minivan with 2 kids in the car. He had a broken leg and needed an ambulance. I was calling for help and turned around and she had pulled off and hit my bike, knocking it over in the process. Now when I stop at an accident, after checking to see everyone is stable and safe I snap a picture of the cars involved license plates.

I know us bikers are supposed to be the bad guys but a lot of cagers hit and run on bikers. My buddy was cut off by a lady in a minivan with 2 kids in the car. He had a broken leg and needed an ambulance. I was calling for help and turned around and she had pulled off and hit my bike, knocking it over in the process. Now when I stop at an accident, after checking to see everyone is stable and safe I snap a picture of the cars involved license plates.

I agree with you except that I would take a picture as soon as I could. If you turn your back on them they might very well take off before you get a picture.
I'm not an EMT so there is very little I could do to help someone - unless they were choking and I could cut off their helmet. But that is a risk too as so often
if You move someone wrong, it could do more damage to them and then You might end up getting sued. Getting a picture of the person and their plate might
help the injured or there family more if someone dies and the jerk drives away. Just saying, I doubt the 20 - 30 seconds it's going to take to take a few pics
in most cases won't make any difference to an injured person with a broken leg that you (or I) can't fix anyways. JMO.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not say that you can't check on someone first. Many people feel compelled to to that first and that's OK.
I'm just more interested in getting the responsible party's info via pictures which might just make them stick around if they know you got images of them.
It just might keep them from becoming a hit and run driver. Again JMO.

Just shows you that how good "getn off" feels depends entirely on the foreplay. ;<)

Sorry about your mishap Amigo. Kinda surprised not one of the 36 or so in the group kept the civic in sight or at least got a number, shame.
Most Harley riders that ride together view a lane as containing two lanes, keeps them from bumping into each other but that woman wrecker doesn't know when to rejoin the rest of the world when out of his pack. Too Bad for you and maybe worse for her.

Just shows you that how good "getn off" feels depends entirely on the foreplay. ;<)

Sorry about your mishap Amigo. Kinda surprised not one of the 36 or so in the group kept the civic in sight or at least got a number, shame.
Most Harley riders that ride together view a lane as containing two lanes, keeps them from bumping into each other but that woman wrecker doesn't know when to rejoin the rest of the world when out of his pack. Too Bad for you and maybe worse for her.

Haha! This was actually my plate on a custom wrangler until recently!

There was a bit of carnage on the previous ride and total mayham with so many bikes . The Honda did stop and the passenger got out to check on things I guess. Apparently did not like what he saw and bolted. Cop went looking, but no joy. Had a couple with vids, but non with a plate number.
Can't believe the HD decided to pass or whatever, because he was not anywhere close when I put my indicator on and began slowing. Totally suprised me.
And yea, she def got the brunt of it. She was pretty bad actually.
Thanks.
Troy

Wtf? I always use the left side of the lane and when I turn, my line lines up with the left side of the new lane.
ucchh! this sucks, getn off.

Generally I do move over to the side of the lane closest to the direction that I am turning to but the entire width of the lane is mine if I was there first. I can see why he might have assumed you would not be turning but if he was riding reasonably in traffic, he should have noticed your blinker and taken precautions instead of assuming.

BTW, it's never lawful to pass on the right x10 in someone else's lane so I think you're in the clear on this no matter how you look at it. If riders are going to take risks riding, they shouldn't push it far with a stranger and definitely not anyone who may not be aware they are even there. I would probably not pass a friend in a street race in his lane even if I was certain he knew I was there. ...so this guy took a huge risk and sorry you are paying for it and his poor gf too. OUCH. I hope she didn't break anything but getting knocked out from a blow to the head is definitely an injury.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I don't like to ride in the right side of the lane at all unless passing someone questionable (see texting!), or when I'm the even numered rider in a group. When turning right, most are tempted to move right before they complete the turn. I feel this just does a few inherently dangerous things: cagers (or custom HDs!) may try to crowd your lane before you are clear, you loose visability around the car you are trailing, you may miss your line and clip a cub, and such. Just soemthing I really have never subscribed to, but ride with many people (fantanstic riders btw) that do.
I agree about occupying the same lane. I only do with someone I trust and ride with often, and only while at speed cruising or at a light. I always try to stay in his right mirror. Really not sure what this guy was thinking. He may have been talking to his girl, checking his watch or phone, or just plain daydreaming. Hell, it is not a stealth color I picked! I even have backoff flashers and Gixxerhp's LED signals which are brite as hell! Don't forget my Coffman shorties that must have been pointing right at him while I was engine braking.
He is def going to be hurting for a bit, as well as the girl. He had some scapes on his shoulder and face, but her face was more like hamberger. When she came to, her eyes kept rolling back in her head. I was just trying to keep her from moving at all. She did have at least a broken arm, as they are not jointed where her bend was. I feel bad for her cause she was just a pax. I keep trying to think what I could have done differently, but come up short save maybe used a hand signal as well. Might just do that every turn along with the indicators. Not sure.
Troy

You have a bright yellow bike how do they not see you. Terrible luck glad all is well and you have been able to source parts twice.

Yea, I 'm getting pretty good at it by now! Hell, 2 of my 3 bikes have been hit. Now just can't wait to source parts for my Intercepter...
Troy

Back