2022 Busa Overheating

Well, we’re all guessing but I’d like to know how it ‘stalled’? Just die idling or stall when you let the clutch out to go? As for the heat on your legs, you shouldn’t have felt any in just 500 yards in normal weather but, w/o any riding gear, just jeans over skin? like many Harley riders wear, the heat can feel excessive. Compared to most big twins our motors are actually small and being water cooled, generally run much cooler.
I think I mentioned, I shut the bike off via the starter. I was in 1st gear. It was off for about a minute while I was showing my ID to the sentry to enter the base I work on. When I went to start the bike, in first gear, clutch engaged, the bike would not start. Think of hitting the "start" button on the bike, and hearing the engine trying to turnover...but not. I tried multiple times. Ultimately, I let it sit for a minute or so, and it eventually started, but at that moment, I did not look at the temp gauge, nor did I know the bike was overheating. It wasn't until I parked, about 5 mins later, when I recreated exactly what I had just done, looked at the entire bike, and noticed the temp gauge.

So...Took home my 2022 Busa after Labor Day. Rode the bike daily to acclimate myself. After a <10 mi ride to work one morning, I shut off the bike temporarily while showing my credentials to enter the facility. When I hit the start button, the bike stalled. I didn't know why. I "walked" the bike out of traffic to the curb, waited about 30 seconds, hit the start button, and the bike started. When I got to my parking spot, about a mile away, I recreated exactly what I'd done previously, and the bike stalled again. This time, I took a look at the entire bike, and noticed the temp gauge needle was about to burst through the glass!! The bike was overheating like crazy! The needle was past the red zone!! The bike sat outside the entire day, and when I got on around 3:30 that afternoon to go home, the moment I started the bike, from cold BTW, the needle shot up to the 3/4 mark! 500 yds down the street and the needle was back in the red zone! I rode the bike home, called the dealer, and they picked up my bike the next morning. It's been at the dealership for 5 days and they have no idea what the issue is. Did I get a "pandemic lemon"?
Take it back to the dealership, its still under warranty, may be a faulty engine temperature sensor? Does the fan motor switch on ?

So slight thread jack, found myself going down a rabbit hole yesterday and for anyone interested the bottom mark on the coolant temp gage 811ohm is ~50c (122f), the middle mark 142 ohm is ~100c (212f), and the top 111 ohm mark is ~120c (248f). The radiator cap begins to lift at 15.7 psi which at a 50/50 ratio and all things being normal would be about 135c (275f).
There you go, now you've got some test data to work with. Great information. Thank you for doing all of that.

For what it is worth, I replace my coolant every two years and never burped or rocked the bike or did anything special. Just added the coolant to the radiator and the coolant bottle, let it warm up and sort itself out. No issues ever.

I would check two things, first you may have a faulty thermostat, most probable if the bike is not throwing codes. If that is OK, check your electrical sensors.

For what it is worth, I replace my coolant every two years and never burped or rocked the bike or did anything special. Just added the coolant to the radiator and the coolant bottle, let it warm up and sort itself out. No issues ever.

I would check two things, first you may have a faulty thermostat, most probable if the bike is not throwing codes. If that is OK, check your electrical sensors.
Dealership replaced the temp sensor.

:thumbsup: Well if it helped then, "Way to go ORG !!!".:beerchug:

They're either going to say, "man there are some really smart people on that Hayabusa board, we should check back periodically", or they're going to say "those folks are crazy".:p

This info is worth saving:

So slight thread jack, found myself going down a rabbit hole yesterday and for anyone interested the bottom mark on the coolant temp gage 811ohm is ~50c (122f), the middle mark 142 ohm is ~100c (212f), and the top 111 ohm mark is ~120c (248f). The radiator cap begins to lift at 15.7 psi which at a 50/50 ratio and all things being normal would be about 135c (275f). :bowdown:

Back