Yet another overheating post

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
I just can't figure it out ya'll.

06 Busa, 3500 Miles, mods are in sig. No fairing screens or headers -yet.

I've searched and read hundreds of post indicating the same general overheating problem. No one seems to post a confirmation of fix.

No other bike I've owned ran hot like this. I've been riding for 10 years and have owned 4 bikes. Hottest temp my Gixxer ever saw was 127 and that was crawling in traffic in the middle of summer in DC.

My beloved Busa has ran hot now 3 times. In all three cases the needle was a hair away from red, fan was on all three times, however I never made the light come on and no boil over.

The first was right after I bought her - about 10 miles on her, sitting at a red light for a few minutes back in April (not too hot outside).

The second was at Rolling Thunder - about 2500 miles. We were trying to get out of the city and got stuck in downtown traffic. Again, the fans came on, needle shadowed red, bike felt very hot.

The last time was on Wed morning. About 75 degrees outside. I have about 3500 miles on her. The fan came on and off to keep the temp just below the middle. Then it started to rise, I could see the needle jump up in spurts. When traffic moved and I could get some air flow, she cooled down, but at the next traffic light, she'd jump right up there again. It really sucked. The fan ran constantly trying to fight the heat, but it appeared not to be cooling at all.

On the way home - much hotter outside, a little lighter traffic, but not much. She did run a little hot, but the fan seemed to be able to keep the needle close to the middle. Nowhere near the overheating problems as I had on the way to work.

I came home and have read every overheating post the search engine came up with. It took a couple of days.

This morning I went out to burp the bike again. I took the rad cap off and it was full. I leaned the bike over in both directions, and held till the fluid was about to come out of the neck of the rad. No bubbles. I put the cap back on, and squeezed the lines quite a few times. I looked again, and the fluid was stilled topped off. Then with the cap off, I started the bike and performed the same leaning procedure, and still no bubble, no change in fluid level.

After all that, I put the rad cap back on, took note of the overflow bottle level, and let the bike warm up until the fan was kicking on and off to keep the temp regulated.

While cold, the overflow bottle level was between the L and H mark. While hot, the level was just above the high mark.

I talked to the dealer and got the standard reply of Busa's run naturally hot. I say bull crap. After reading so many posts from .org members living in Arizona and Florida not having overheating issues, I can only assume something is wrong.

I can use the Muzzy Fan and Engine Ice, but as someone previously posted - that is only a band-aid masking another problem.

I did read a post on another board about someone talking about the water pump impeller shaft being broken or otherwise not fitting right causing a periodic gap in drive, but I haven't seen anyone mention it here on .org

- but in my case - 3 overheating episodes in 3500 miles doesn't really make sense for that problem.

Has anyone found out exactly why some bikes have this issue and others don't?

I have a Yoshi full system sitting in the garage, however I don't want to install yet for fear the headers will escalate the overheating issue.

1993 Yahmaha Virago 750 - No overheating issues
1997 Suzuki Katan 600 - No overheating issues
2003 Suzuki GSXR 600 - No overheating issues
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa - Periodic overheating issues

All bikes were commuter bikes with an average of 5 - 6K miles a year on Northern Virginia HOV lanes and local traffic intensive roads.

Please, if you've had this problem and solved it, post up and let me know.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

I am wondering if your fan switch and temp sensor are working correctly? Maybe you fan is coming on too late, so it keeps the scoot from going red, but lets it get right up there?

I am wondering if your fan switch and temp sensor are working correctly?  Maybe you fan is coming on too late, so it keeps the scoot from going red, but lets it get right up there?
even it the fan came on late it should cool the bike down. That would be the first check though. Replace the sensor.

I think the water pump is a dang good culprit also.

hogger...

Have you felt the airflow off of the fan and the radiator hoses when it is overheating? The right radiator hose is from the thermostat to the radiator and should be the hottest with the left radiator hose going from the radiator to the water pump and should be coolest. Both hoses can be quickly touched through the vent holes in the fairing but be careful to not burn yourself. You can gauge to see if your radiator is working effectively by the temp of the left hose and the air temp off of the fan, if the fan air is very hot and the left hose is touchable you're o.k. as far as coolant circulation and efficiency. If the hoses are both equally hot and the fan air is cooler you may have a circulation problem.thermostat..radiator plugged..no water pump drive etc.
I bet it has a flaky thermostat.

What a pain in the arse, man. Gotta be an issue, and it sounds like you need to call American Suzuki in California and complain that you need the issue resolved. Ultimately, it would be nice if the .Org had someone in various areas of each of the states who's an expert on the Busa, and who could give us definitive answers to take to our dealers. Someone we'd pay. Like someone on the .Org in different states.

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153173181 -->

this is a shot in the dark, replace the thermostat that is located behind the tank near the rear shock area. i had similar issues w/ my bike and burped her, changed the water pump, and the thermostat. the thermo. is fairly cheap ($17.82 bikebandit.com) and it isn't hard to swap out. the thermo. could possibly be defective. just my opinion and worth trying. good luck!
nick

SU0120_025.gif

Thanks guys. All great ideas. I never thought about feeling the radiator hoses... great idea. Thanks for the diagram babybusa... it's got to be something in the cooling system chain just like everyone mentioned.

Today it was pretty toasty outside, but the fan was able to keep the needle around the middle. Far better than it did the morning it was only 75 degrees outside.

I know I'm not the only person that is experiencing this, unfortunantly when the board gives the poster the standard answer of burping the system, the poster doesn't report back.

I'll probably replace the thermostat first, then wait about 1500 miles to see if it does it again...
hot.gif

Thanks again for the input.

I just bought at 2006 Busa and only have 240 miles on it. I was riding in a motorcycle safety course (slow stop and go) and she over heated. Red light came on and I had to shut it down. As long as I was moving I could keep the temp down. I was very upset that a new bike that is liquid cooled is having heating problems. I'll let you know what the dealership says.

uhh oo ok here we go take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it the right way call american suzuki i think we all should give them a cal they are slackin right now my shifter fell of on traffic yeah so i am bitter bout this right now CALL THEM AND COMPLAIN

I just bought at 2006 Busa and only have 240 miles on it.  I was riding in a motorcycle safety course (slow stop and go) and she over heated.  Red light came on and I had to shut it down.  As long as I was moving I could keep the temp down.  I was very upset that a new bike that is liquid cooled is having heating problems.  I'll let you know what the dealership says.
pics! haha!

I live in FLorida and experienced high temperatures and solved the problem with the Muzzy fan and Engine Ice. I've had the bike since 2002 and no major problems. I have 22138 miles on her. This Mod made a big difference for me. I hope you get it all worked out. Ride safe.

Wassup Ya'll.

I did a coolant flush today and replaced stock coolant with Engine Ice. As today it's 92F outside, I figured it'd be a great test.

Mainly, just did some buzzing around town, running errands. Plenty of stop and go at low speeds.

The difference is incredible.

First off, the needle never broke halfway, the fans were never required to come on, which is a first for this bike.

Secondly, the heat coming off the engine hitting my legs was markedly cooler. On a normal day, my legs would feel on fire, today I could hardly feel it.

I know it's still very early to give any kind of true test, but as far as I can see right now, this stuff is worth every penny.

We'll see though. My headers just arrived at Jet-Hot to get coated, so that will be the true test.

Cheers

makes it. It's a wierd blue looking liquid...

It's supposed to by high humidity and 95F outside today. I'll see how it goes.

Changed the cooling fan to a Muzzy fan, and changed to engine ice while I had the fairings off. Bike is cooler, but it still will over heat if I let it idle for about 25-30 mins. Granted TX has been 100 every day, but a liquid cooled bike should not over heat. I have tried burping it several times. What are the best ways to determine if all of the air is out of the cooling circuit?

I have not went to the engine ice or similar yet, but did do the muzzy fan, that makes a big difference since that fan moves way more air. I have went around and around with the issue of heat and every time it has come down to getting the air out of the system. The first time it was easy the 2nd and 3rd time what a pain in the ass, it took forever to get it to burp correctly, I was ready to replace the water pump since it was getting so hot. Glade to see yours is now working.

...I used this technique to finally get my radiator burped: after the radiator is filled to the top, start engine with radiator cap off: as coolant gets hot, it will expand and want to overflow through the radiator cap opening. I used a little wet bulb, the kind you use on babies ears. I sucked up just enough fluid to keep it from over flowing. As the fluid started moving through the radiator, it would expand and I sucked more out and drained in a bucket. A little at a time, just enough to keep the radiator from over flowing. I swayed the bike back and forth just as the maint manual states. Once the fluid really started flowing, I notice a large bubble...hence I found my air bubble. Sometimes you can shake rattle and roll all day long and that air bubble doesn't want to come out. This technique worked for me. Once it cooled down, I added the fluid I sucked out and put back into the radiator. It was only probably 1/4 of a cup worth of coolant. Muzzy fan definitely pushes more air. It was worth it to put it in. Engine ice is expensive, but worth it since that 1300 CC motor sure likes to get hot.

Well, although the engine ice was good... it didn't stop the overheating like I'd hoped. It is better, but it still gets hot sometimes. I've learned to gauge my traffic lights and turn the engine off, especially in my afternoon commutes. That tends to help... if it's bumper to bumper on the interstate... it get's bad enough to risk splitting lanes or stopping and having a smoke.

I'll be trying the Muzzy Fan next.

Back