03 overheated

03TBUSA

Registered
Ok here we go... so new to riding and first bike is the busa. Took her out today to practice. While put at the local elementary school parking lot doing circles, I look down to see the temp needle in the red.:banghead: I immediately killed it. Waited about 15 min then rode it home two blocks away. Come to find put, coolant is super low. Questions: 1)Should I worry about damage to head? Prob ran hot for a few min and drove home fine.
2) What coolant do I use?
Bike has 22k miles and I'm the 3rd owner. No mode but k&N AND YOSHIS
Any help greatly appreciated guys and gals

Check all the rad hoses for leaks or cracks. Look especially near the clamps. You use anti-freeze....

Yep. Top it off with antifreeze. Check for leaks
Fan switches on gen1 are notorious for not turning fans on until the red.

Is your overflow tank completely empty?

Did you ride the bike home after you bought it? No overheating issues?
Any fluid on the ground where it was parked?

Could be a stuck thermostat. If you add fluid and it gets hot again that would be the next thing to check.

Make sure the coolant you use is OK for aluminum blocks etc.

My Busa warms up pretty fast (less then 3-4 min) but 99% of the time the needle stays in the middle of the gauge.
Hot day sitting in a traffic jam might make it rise some otherwise pretty consistent in the middle.

Let us know what you find out.

Turned out to be low coolant, the tank had a tiny bit on the bottom.
Today flushed out the old coolant and filled with maxima coolanol. Changed oil and put in Belt Ray EXS 10w40. Also cleaned the chain w wd40 and sprayed Belt Ray super clean chain lube.
Took about 4 hours to do it all. The fairings are a pain in the rear.

Bike has about 22500 miles. Just bought her a week ago. Stock everything but k&n and Yoshio.

1)Took her for a spin after every thing and didn't overheat. The needle did go slightly past mid mark. Percentage wise about 55percent if C was 0 and H was 100 . Still a little uneasy about that.

2)As far as oil goes, felt pretty good but it slipped one time in first gear on the road. Dunno what that was about but didn't do it again. The slip happened after soaking chain with WD40.

The previous owner did use synthetic oil but don't know brand or viscosity. Hope this bad boy doesn't start to drain my wallet. Anyone w experience with these first gens, any tips or recommendations... I'm all ears.
Thanks guys and gals

my gen1 will overheat if I sit in traffic too long or frequent stop n go in town. the one fan just doesn't seem to cut it. you think the fairings are bad on yours don't get me started on my 09:banghead: good luck on your new ride and be safe.

Install a Muzzy fan. :thumbsup:

fAN.jpg

fAN.jpg

Let us know how that worked for ya. My '06 couldn't handle traffic jams. The '08 doesn't care, but it will cook the inside of your thighs when both fans kick in :laugh:

Well she got all hot on me again. Went to AutoZone and picked up the Honda accord cooling fan switch (02') and a toggle switch.
Used some 16 gauge red wire and some female connectors. A couple of quick connectors. NOTE: CUT THE FEMALE CONNECTORS IN HALF TO SQUEEZE ONTO THE HONDA SWITCH. Once in place I put black silicone in the cavity to separate and seal the back of the switch. Tomorrow ill finish by installing the toggle switch on the top screw hole on the fairing.
I do plan on switching to the muzzy fan once they get em in stock too

fan switch.jpg

Back