Yet another overheating post

Heres the link for who might be intrested.
http://www.1320straightliners.com/Fan_Tem....037.htm

Also If anyone does decides to do this mod make sure you use Teflon tape on threads of the sensor instead of counting on the O-ring to seal it ,I had a couple drops fall .The Plug that comes with it blocks the original hole and I didnt need to add teflon to it . Im very happy with this mod it has defently made a difference in the cooling of my Busa.I also use Engine Ice cooling Fluid . and I have a Muzzy fan

I would say you may have a sticky thermostat. Stick shut and it's gonna boil. Pops open & she cools right down. Use the wifes OLD meat probe to check your temps from you hoses. Better idea of temps & no burnt hands. (Just touch the hose of course with the probe)

<!--EDIT|KoK-LoL
Reason for Edit: "clarification"|1156599499 -->

Man, I hate to hear that stuff! If I were you, I wouldn't waste any more time and call American Suzuki in California. It's a warranty issue for sure.

+1 /yep! if its new and you have had this problem since the begining take it back to them .It's a warranty issue for sure.

Heres the link for who might be intrested.
http://www.1320straightliners.com/Fan_Tem....037.htm

Also If anyone does decides to do this mod make sure you use Teflon tape on threads of the sensor instead of counting on the O-ring to seal it ,I had a couple drops fall .The Plug that comes with it blocks the original hole and I didnt need to add teflon to it .  Im very happy with this mod it has defently made a difference in the cooling of my Busa.I also use Engine Ice cooling Fluid . and I have a Muzzy fan
Don,t know if it is true but I have been told that a sensor from a Honda Civic can be used on the busa as it has an lower temp rating.
Just a thought

True, the fan switch sensor # TS-295 you will have to get the plug off the car at a junck yard or buy a new a the dealer ship

Sorry no ,I new you were going to ask LOL.. I have one here setting in front of me never used it brand new ,the damm thing was exspensive it was like $43 .

$43 you should see the UK price
tounge.gif

Hey. It's late. 12:20... so pardon mwuah....

But didn't you take the bike back to the dealer you got it from? If so, please ignore this question. Thanks. If my bike was frying like an egg right now I'd be going back to the point of origin.

I'D BE MAKING THEM FIX IT!!! PERIOD. END-O STORY!

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: "added sumfin'....."|1156656270 -->

I just can't figure it out ya'll.

06 Busa, 3500 Miles, mods are in sig. No fairing screens or headers -yet.

I've searched and read hundreds of post indicating the same general overheating problem. No one seems to post a confirmation of fix.

No other bike I've owned ran hot like this. I've been riding for 10 years and have owned 4 bikes. Hottest temp my Gixxer ever saw was 127 and that was crawling in traffic in the middle of summer in DC.

My beloved Busa has ran hot now 3 times. In all three cases the needle was a hair away from red, fan was on all three times, however I never made the light come on and no boil over.  

The first was right after I bought her - about 10 miles on her, sitting at a red light for a few minutes back in April (not too hot outside).

The second was at Rolling Thunder - about 2500 miles. We were trying to get out of the city and got stuck in downtown traffic. Again, the fans came on, needle shadowed red, bike felt very hot.

The last time was on Wed morning. About 75 degrees outside. I have about 3500 miles on her. The fan came on and off to keep the temp just below the middle. Then it started to rise, I could see the needle jump up in spurts. When traffic moved and I could get some air flow, she cooled down, but at the next traffic light, she'd jump right up there again. It really sucked. The fan ran constantly trying to fight the heat, but it appeared not to be cooling at all.

On the way home - much hotter outside, a little lighter traffic, but not much. She did run a little hot, but the fan seemed to be able to keep the needle close to the middle. Nowhere near the overheating problems as I had on the way to work.

I came home and have read every overheating post the search engine came up with. It took a couple of days.

This morning I went out to burp the bike again. I took the rad cap off and it was full. I leaned the bike over in both directions, and held till the fluid was about to come out of the neck of the rad. No bubbles. I put the cap back on, and squeezed the lines quite a few times. I looked again, and the fluid was stilled topped off. Then with the cap off, I started the bike and performed the same leaning procedure, and still no bubble, no change in fluid level.

After all that, I put the rad cap back on, took note of the overflow bottle level, and let the bike warm up until the fan was kicking on and off to keep the temp regulated.

While cold, the overflow bottle level was between the L and H mark. While hot, the level was just above the high mark.

I talked to the dealer and got the standard reply of Busa's run naturally hot. I say bull crap. After reading so many posts from .org members living in Arizona and Florida not having overheating issues, I can only assume something is wrong.

I can use the Muzzy Fan and Engine Ice, but as someone previously posted - that is only a band-aid masking another problem.

I did read a post on another board about someone talking about the water pump impeller shaft being broken or otherwise not fitting right causing a periodic gap in drive, but I haven't seen anyone mention it here on .org

- but in my case - 3 overheating episodes in 3500 miles doesn't really make sense for that problem.

Has anyone found out exactly why some bikes have this issue and others don't?

I have a Yoshi full system sitting in the garage, however I don't want to install yet for fear the headers will escalate the overheating issue.

1993 Yahmaha Virago 750 - No overheating issues
1997 Suzuki Katan 600 - No overheating issues
2003 Suzuki GSXR 600 - No overheating issues
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa - Periodic overheating issues

All bikes were commuter bikes with an average of 5 - 6K miles a year on Northern Virginia HOV lanes and local traffic intensive roads.

Please, if you've had this problem and solved it, post up and let me know.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Did you ever solve your overheating problem? I just changed the coolant (engine ice) in my bike and have the same problem. It is in stop and go traffic. I just burped the engine, at least I hope I did, by running the engine with the radiator cap off, pulling some coolant out through the neck and then putting the cap back on and fully warming the engine up. It gets up to half way now and the fan kicks on and stayes there, for now. I am convinced there is air in the system but exactly how to get it out is difficult.

firedevil.gif
hi all new to the board. just readed through the overheat problem. this is just thought if we can live without thermostat, would coolan flows more better and keep the engine cooler. cause i used to removed from my car it runs and the needle nerver went over 1/3 . anybody has idea please reply! because i'm thinking to remove mine ,05 red and black had same broblems

I wish i could get some idea where some with problems are located! If we want to keep it a secret! Maybe a NW,SE, will do. The thermostat is a very needed item! Too cool is worse than a bit too hot, and will even make a overheat situation worse if removed, (at hi revs coolant has no time to dissipate heat to air) I think if my 06 overheated even one time on the hottest day here I would demand a explanation and fix be made by the stealer i got it from! Muzzy fan! If this is a fix they had what 7 years now to put one like it on em!!! This shouldn't be tolerated on any machine of this price! and especially a Suzuki! HD
rock.gif
 If there is an email address or phone # that works i would be willing to make or send one a day or more to get an answer to this and things like this. There is strength in #'s. The other stuff is just a anti corrosion/pump lubricating water mix. Water does the best job of absorbing heat! that is why the other is called antifreeze!!

argue.gif

guns.gif

all_coholic.gif

beerchug.gif

And another thing, little stuff like just a pint over full of oil will have a big effect on how hot it gets. I find  it runs a bit better on reg gas, and keep the bugs out of the rad. Lean fuel settings are the worst.
all_coholic.gif

Hello all! I have a 2005 hayabusa with 18000km...I was driving on the highway and yes I hit a big traffic jam.. and while waiting in crazy toronto traffic my temperature gauge just shot up to H so I quickly pulled off to the side of the highway and shut her down.. and waited a while till traffic died and then I started her up and took off... everything seemed fine for my next hour and a half drive home and so far it's been okay. I am just very concerned about this problem.. is this normal or is there something wrong? I tried feeling the radiator hoses as someone suggested on this topic, and after I warmed up the bike and all seems to be fine...sorry if I am sounding very "brainless" as I have fairly little if not any  
crazy.gif
bike knowledge, mainly because this is my first ever bike purchase.

Thank you all very much  
beerchug.gif

It just shot up? Yes I would be worried. usually it take a while to get to H. at least on mine. so far I burped the system again and added some more engine ice into the system. It gets about half way and stays there for awhile. It slowly creeps up but I never get the chance to see if it shoot all the way up. I am concerned that it gets so hot in stop and go traffic though especially since it really that hot in my region of the U.S.
If your temp gauge shot up unexpectally definitly have it check. Perhaps the thermostat failed and shut or maybe something simple like the sensor went bad. In either case find out what it is. By the way what do you run for coolant?

Yes as I was crusing on the highway at about a steady 110-120 KMPH eventually huge traffic built up ahead and I had to slow down and eventually stopped completely. After several stop and go situations, I happen to look down at the gauge and I caught the Temperature gauge (starting from half) quickly go up to H. I then proceded to pull off to the side of the highway and shut her down.

The thing is.. when im in traffic escpecially when its stop and go... for example if I stay under 20km and rolling the temp gauge reads a little over half and if i start to slow down more or eventaully come to a stop it will go up quickly and also coolant will overflow and comeout of the bottle near my left foot. If I start to go past 30km or so it will read at half and anything past 100km or so the temperature gauge will read just under the half way mark on the gauge.

One thing that happen today as I was coming home from work (I didn't drive the bike hard at all and it was not hot outside at all, toronto canada weather is very cool now) was after I pulled into my garage, coolant started to overflow out of the bottle but the gauge still read in the middle.

The coolant I have in my bike now is from Motul, it's a small clear bottle with greenish fluid.

Back