my overheating experience and fix!

gardian1701

Registered
Hi,
Just thought i'd share my discovery. After trawling the .Org to try and determine why my 03 busa was overheating I have come to the conclusion that the reason my bike was overheating was simply down to the fan operation.

I find that, in stop and go traffic the fan simply does not run for long enough to keep the temperature down. It will come on as it should but switch off again before the needle dropped to where it was exactly before the fan activated. It was like a 'one step.forwards, 2 steps back' syndrome. I only realy discovered this when i did the manual fan switch mod and the IAT (intake air temp sensor) mod together. When in heavy traffic i simply wait for the fan as normal and flip the switch if I know i'll be there for a while and filtering is too dangerous at that time. I idled the bike for half an hour today with the fan switched on and the temp needle never went above half way! Sorted.

I may do the second fan mod and would never need to remember to use the switch, but for now its sorted! Dont be scared, go ahead and try it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just get a Gen2 radiator like I did. I will probly install it next weekend. Only downside is you can only turn them on manually but I always manually turned them on before the fans anyways

My point I think I was making is that there was so much speculation I read about blown or cracked gaskets and such nightmares, when it could be somthing plain simple like a defective switch or bad choice of the manufacturer. I've heard about the honda temp switch which comes on sooner, but that wont solve it, you need a switch with the same temp but one which stays on for longer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just get a Gen2 radiator like I did. I will probly install it next weekend. Only downside is you can only turn them on manually but I always manually turned them on before the fans anyways

Yeah! I read about that. I could do with a new rad, but couldnt find much on the fittings being the same on an gen2 tobfit on a gen1 bike! Keep me posted if u can? I thing a new gen 2 'in production' rad may be as cheap as a gen 1 (aftermarket ofcourse). Would have to change the fuse to higher amp to cope with the 2 fans however, and check the water pump is up to the task.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah! I read about that. I could do with a new rad, but couldnt find much on the fittings being the same on an gen2 tobfit on a gen1 bike! Keep me posted if u can? I thing a new gen 2 'in production' rad may be as cheap as a gen 1 (aftermarket ofcourse). Would have to change the fuse to higher amp to cope with the 2 fans however, and check the water pump is up to the task.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got hoses with mine the fittings are the same size except the left side hose needs to be a little longer and the right side is shorter

So, you could use the gen 1's rad hoses on the gen 2's rad?

Dont believe so. I got the Gen2 hoses with my radiator so there is no problem. It looks as though the right side hose can be cut and work but the left side will be too short. Cant quote me on that because I do not know for sure...

I dont recommend muzzys. The fans are so loud. Some have even said they do nothing to aid in cooling. I installed them and cant really say there is a difference that I have noticed. My gen2 radiator will not have muzzy fans nor do i intend to replace the OEM ones with muzzys

Hell-o!
Since this thread is about radiators i´ll try my question here, are there any replacement radiators you could get for gen 1? I just bought my -00 and after 2 weeks i noticed the radiator´s leaking, if i order one from suzuki here in sweden it´ll cost me $1000 for the "cheapest" one i can find :-S

Hell-o!
Since this thread is about radiators i´ll try my question here, are there any replacement radiators you could get for gen 1? I just bought my -00 and after 2 weeks i noticed the radiator´s leaking, if i order one from suzuki here in sweden it´ll cost me $1000 for the "cheapest" one i can find :-S

Ebay!
Not sure what it would end up costing you, but Im thinking of getting one from the US at around £100 overall after the $ to £ exchange which is an awsome price compared to the manufacturer.

Heres my link, if it works for you, you could Email the seller and see if they will post to your country and check what your currency exchange rate to the $ is.

99 00 02 06 07 SUZUKI GSXR1300 HAYABUSA RADIATOR NEW S on eBay (end time 18-May-11 08:17:22 BST)

For the summer im trying engine ice and put a muzzy fan on... My fan didnt push much air..but the muzzy actually pushes more air..i also have a toggle switch to turn the fan on manually..all u need is the two wires that go to the temp switch and put a toggle between them...im trying out a new temp switch off a gsx 1000 , but u need a different plug to run it..

Ebay!
Not sure what it would end up costing you, but Im thinking of getting one from the US at around £100 overall after the $ to £ exchange which is an awsome price compared to the manufacturer.

Heres my link, if it works for you, you could Email the seller and see if they will post to your country and check what your currency exchange rate to the $ is.

99 00 02 06 07 SUZUKI GSXR1300 HAYABUSA RADIATOR NEW S on eBay (end time 18-May-11 08:17:22 BST)

Thanx Gardian :thumbsup: did a bit of searching and found the ASI radiator on ebay, $146 including shipping and handling instead of $1000 i just hope it´ll get here fast.

Forgot to ask, did you order that one?

Last edited:
For the summer im trying engine ice and put a muzzy fan on... My fan didnt push much air..but the muzzy actually pushes more air..i also have a toggle switch to turn the fan on manually..all u need is the two wires that go to the temp switch and put a toggle between them...im trying out a new temp switch off a gsx 1000 , but u need a different plug to run it..

Try the Honda accord fan temp switch instead, it'll make your fan turn on before it even touches the middle line,, I believe it turns on 10-15 degrees cooler. Works for me :thumbsup:

Thanx Gardian :thumbsup: did a bit of searching and found the ASI radiator on ebay, $146 including shipping and handling instead of $1000 i just hope it´ll get here fast.

Forgot to ask, did you order that one?

Nope, i've put it on the back burner for the time being, as i have sorted/covered up my heat problem for now. Am putting the money to deep servicing first, cam chain ect.

Back