2008 Busa

2008 Busa - Rate it (scale of 1 to 10)

• 10+ This is the cats meow, over the top!

Votes: 777 89.1%
  • 9 Somewhere in between

Votes: 48 5.5%
  • 8 Somewhere in between

Votes: 25 2.9%
  • 7 Just barely better than the previous years

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • 6 Neutral no opinion

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • 5 Just barely worse than I'd expected.

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • 4 Somewhere in between

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • 3 Somewhere in between

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Suzuki You Absolutely Blew it, what were you thinking?

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
The votes keep coming in and the Gen II Busas keep rolling off the showroom floor in record numbers...

I've got some bad news for all you naysayers on the performance of the 08 Busa versus the 08 Ninja. Out here in the Phoenix valley we pretty much ride year round. I've already run into and traded gears with two of these new Ninja's and the outcome has been identical. The Ninja can stay with me in the first two gears only because I have trouble keeping the bike down. From third gear on I'm running away from the Ninja like it's only running on three cylinders much to the dismay of their owners. But lets be realistic here, the 1400 is really 1356cc which is only 16cc for bragging rights. But the 12.5 compression ratio pistons in the new Busa pull exceptionally hard. When I got out of the bike at 180 I was at least 10 bike lengths ahead of both the Ninjas. So anyone thinking the Busa is only equal to the new Ninja is sadly mistaken.

Jim

<!--QuoteBeginbusabullet+Jul. 03 2007,23:51-->
(busabullet @ Jul. 03 2007,23:51) <!--QuoteEBegin-->I really wished they would have went with �the 1400 or larger. I am not real impressed with the tail. But I am very disappointed in the weight if the bike. Could have made some changes to save some weight. This bike is a pig. But we will see when they get here. I went to the dealer yesterday and put down my deposit.
All those wonderful coments about the bike....not a single one a bit positive.... Yet the man still runs out to put down his deposit.

I love busa fans. beerchug.gif
Exactly what I was thinking... sadnews.gif

<!--QuoteBeginScar+Jul. 16 2007,13:36-->
(Scar @ Jul. 16 2007,13:36) <!--QuoteEBegin-->Personally, I think all the nay-sayers are going to love it as much as any other 'busa; it's just a matter of getting used to it.

After all,[B] it's a 'busa![/B]
But unfortunately this is the first time a new busa's aint' going to blow the competition away...they're just going to match it  wowold.gif So without that huge performance edge they're going to have to rely more on looks and marketing, and I just don't think the looks are gonna be enough. They've done what they could hp wise with the old motor but theirs just so much you can do with a 41 cc upgrade. It wasn't enough...it needed to be a true 14-1500 cc machine to make a statement. It'll be right on par give or take a pony or 2 with the 14. Suzuki claims 198 crank hp with ram air compared to 197 ram air for the 14. But it will have the low end advantage  winkold.gif  tounge.gif
First time the new busa ain't going to blow the competition away?rock.gif... wowold.gif

ZX12R...remember...It was just as fast as gen1 Busa.

wowold.gif

It's all up to the rider between these two bikes. No matter how hard either side tries to argue about which is the faster bike there will never be a clear winner. If you look at quarter mile times with these bikes they are both in the 9's stock. A tenth here or there is all about skill not HP numbers and compression ratios.

Good job riding away from those 14's, but no matter who you are or what you ride there is someone out there that will hand your @$$ to you. Next time it might be a 14 that puts ten on you.

<!--QuoteBeginScar+Jul. 16 2007,13:36-->
(Scar @ Jul. 16 2007,13:36) <!--QuoteEBegin-->Personally, I think all the nay-sayers are going to love it as much as any other 'busa; it's just a matter of getting used to it.

After all,[B] it's a 'busa![/B]
But unfortunately this is the first time a new busa's aint' going to blow the competition away...they're just going to match it  wowold.gif So without that huge performance edge they're going to have to rely more on looks and marketing, and I just don't think the looks are gonna be enough. They've done what they could hp wise with the old motor but theirs just so much you can do with a 41 cc upgrade. It wasn't enough...it needed to be a true 14-1500 cc machine to make a statement. It'll be right on par give or take a pony or 2 with the 14. Suzuki claims 198 crank hp with ram air compared to 197 ram air for the 14. But it will have the low end advantage  winkold.gif  tounge.gif
------------------------------------------------------------
First time the new busa ain't going to blow the competition away?rock.gif... wowold.gif
ZX12R...remember...It was just as fast as gen1 Busa.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The 12 came out the year after the first gen busa. The first year debut of the busa it literally blew everything else into the weeds by 20+ rwhp and 15+ mph top speeds. Not to mention the first stock production bike to reel off 9 sec quarter miles all day in the right hands  winkold.gif  The new busa didn't have the same impact...

wowold.gif

winkold.gif

I think it is one outstanding piece of equipment. And priced within reach. All things considered, it gets a 10 from me. They could have opted for bold new graphics... Looks like the histogram distribution is heavily skewed to the positive side. :-). It meets the stretch MPG requirements of the current politics so we might get to keep it....

Though I have never owned a Busa, I have ridden with Busa's many many times and I have been doing MASSIVE research on the 08/09 model. From what I read and seen I don't see how anyone could give it anything less than a grade of 6. I gave it a 9 only because the brakes are not perfect and there is engine buzz at 4,500RPMs and 6,500RPMs from the single counter weight, but this is only from the 9+ different media outlets that have reviewed the Busa.

I think folks in here giving the new Busa a grade of 6 or lower are probably from the ZX14 forum! :)

I am a huge Kawasaki Fan and have 2 in my garage so I hope you take that someone who is loyal to Kawasaki, but smart enough to know that the Busa is an awesome bird.

I've got some bad news for all you naysayers on the performance of the 08 Busa versus the 08 Ninja. Out here in the Phoenix valley we pretty much ride year round. I've already run into and traded gears with two of these new Ninja's and the outcome has been identical. The Ninja can stay with me in the first two gears only because I have trouble keeping the bike down. From third gear on I'm running away from the Ninja like it's only running on three cylinders much to the dismay of their owners. But lets be realistic here, the 1400 is really 1356cc which is only 16cc for bragging rights. But the 12.5 compression ratio pistons in the new Busa pull exceptionally hard. When I got out of the bike at 180 I was at least 10 bike lengths ahead of both the Ninjas. So anyone thinking the Busa is only equal to the new Ninja is sadly mistaken.

Jim
I totally agree with on the wheelie problems in the first two gears as its just about impossible to keep down. But when its comes to the other gears....... look out, it flat out flies. I did a full, up to the red line in each gear, high speed attempt, and couldn't believe how fast it acclerated from an indicated 160 to 185mph. I had to shut down due to approaching traffic because you close at an alarming rate at those speeds.
I had a few Gen 1's and one with an Acro pipe but even it slowed down in acceleration a bit from about 160mph and up, but this thing just kept on charging. Absolutely amazing. The only negative is that this kind of riding isn't real world riding as there are so few spots you can find to really do this sort of thing but its truly breathtaking.
Stock bikes aren't supposed to run like this and I'm certain like you said that the compression has a lot to do with this. The low compression of the Gen 1's was the only weak spot that I didn't like as you had to go into the engine to correct it. No such problem on the Gen 2. An amazing vehicle and a great "bang for the bucks" purchase.

For me it is an 8. I love the power and torque. The new look grew on me. I like the dash, but I think they could of did more! It is a great to up ride. I get good MPG when I ride sane! It pulls great on the topend. It handles better then the first gen. Stops better then the first gen.

But, I think suzuki could of done more with the brakes, engine, and better build quality! I do not like the hidden fasteners and clips. I am afraid it will break after time taking it apart.

I like the bike, but the 1000 I think is the better built bike of the two!

I love my Busa, but it is the technology that attracts me and I guess the bragging rights.

Let's be honest, if we were in Germany where the goverment allows the use of full power, as they consider their country as being the best sports vehicle producer, the Busa will be blast.

In North America, in second gear, I have nightmares of my picture been taken with a sad face, holding a number.:rulez: Tough judge and it's a felony.

On the track, the Gizzer 1000 is king.

Why do most ride cruisers, with Harley being the king?

So, if you see me and wifey riding the Busa to Starbucks with cruiser helmets and goggles, don't laugh OK, we enjoy the breeze.:laugh:

And yes, when I wear my Shoei, I open it up, but where is my secret.

Getting back to the original thread, I don't know how one improves this bike further, its like going duck hunting with a 50 caliber machine gun.:thumbsup:

Next gen could consider going with the fancy staggered crank set-up that the new (2009) R1 uses, I have not tried it personally, but I think it worked for the Doctor. Fattens the torque in the lower and midrange making power more linear like a Duke twin, without hurting peak HP associated with I-4's. I read a test & I think the guy came away a believer. Save your money for tires....:laugh:

I'm the only one who ever seems to object, but I just don't care for the sound of cross plane engines. The R-1 sounds like a big ol' long belch to me.

Mythos

Back