• I'm having trans issues

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • None what so ever

Votes: 33 86.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wallie

Registered
I started a poll not to long ago and there having different opinions regarding trans problems by not using the clutch all time. Commuta_busa suggested to do another poll asking if many people had trans problems for not using the clutch to see if the # of the poll go alone the other one I did before. If you got to the link below and read the comments from 2wheels2live & Commuta_busa you will have an idea of what going on.
lets us know what you think. ???
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/polls/96460-shifting-gear.html

I always use the clutch from 1st to 2nd...rarely on high speed
upshifts from 2nd thru 6th. On down shifts I do use it. I have
a '03 and a '08 and have had ZERO trans issues :beerchug:

only owned my bike 3 years, but from 5300mi. to the over 26k on it right now, never had any problems with trans-clutch is another story:whistle:
I seldom spend all day up-n-down shiftn w/o my hand, but I definitely do shift up and down several times with just my foot n throttle-hand.

not too much to be worried about as long as you're good at rev-matchin and dont try to drop too many gears at once:laugh:

Ditto what BA Busa sez up there. My '03 has 55,000 miles on it, no problems thus far. I do down shift without the clutch from time to time.

--Wag--

Actualy the poll tells you the opposite. More than 50% shift clutchless so what you're saying is that means more the 50% have had trans problems? Try a second poll asking how many have had trans shifting problems and see if the result is higher or lower than 50%. ???
No, what I said was considering the number of guys who clutchless shift properly...compared to the guys who don't, there won't be 50%/50%...in other words, not EVERY guy who clutchless shifts will lose second gear, just the guys who do it IMPROPERLY...read my post again :laugh: I probably could have simplified it a bit more though :(
I have to say though, the numbers are intriguing. There are lots of first gen busa's out there...more so than most other models because the same bike was sold 8 years unchanged. There are, so far in the poll, more riders shifting clutchless than with the clutch. You add in the factor of guys who clutchless shift smoothly compared to the guys who don't........and factor in that in 8 years suzi would most definately have fixed any weak tranny issues in their eyes before now, and the higher number of tranny issues with these bikes start to look like they could very well be related to IMPROPER clutchless shifting rather than weak trannies. Things that make you go hmmm.......

I do suspect that sloppy shifting is the main reason for 2nd gear probs on the busa tho.....just like I think its the prob on most any bike that loses 2nd gear. And believe me the busa's not the only bike to ever lose 2nd gear :laugh: If you do a search on this site you'll see that most of the guys who have had 2nd gear probs also admitted to clutchless shifting...some drag racing...some not :;): Its easy to blame the machine tho isn't it? Don't worry, the same thing goes on every other bike board as well :laugh: :;):

For the first several months from when I bought my K8 I used the clutch all the time however at about 3000 miles I started to get an occasional false neutral once in a while between 4-5 and 5-6.??? I was absolutely sure to make firm, positive shifts and even tried to make a couple of adjustments to the shifter to lower it but the only thing that has 100% cured this issue is to now make the 4-5 and 5-6 shifts without the clutch.:beerchug: No more false neutrals anymore, NEVER !!!:thumbsup:I always use the clutch between 1-4 and on down shifts but the clutchless shifting has cured my tranny issue. I think it is a quicker more positive shift that helps to fully engage the dogs on the gears. It works for me.:whistle:

I always use the clutch on my busa. But, on my dual sport dirt bike (Zook DRZ400) that I rode for 2 years and put 12k miles on it, I did this all the time. The thing is, you have to be good at it and know what you are doing, or you can damage the tranny.

I have 19000+ miles with clutchless shifting. After I am moving I do not use the clutch except to downshift. I sometimes downshift without the clutch but not very often. No issues at all. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

same here except if I'm heavy excelerating 1st to 2nd I will NOT clutch it.

I upshift and downshift without clutch on normal riding, only use it from stop to 2nd or quick shifts back to 1st coming up on emergency stops or fast stops. I have had false neutral on 2nd and between 5th and 6th shifting with clutch before though.

Ditto what BA Busa sez up there. My '03 has 55,000 miles on it, no problems thus far. I do down shift without the clutch from time to time.

--Wag--

I do what WAG tells me... He is my tech support for any motorcycle issues... Besides he does have 55,000 miles on his Busa and those are frequent flyer miles so he can't be wrong!!!

The tranny went out on my 01 with 30k on it and that was all clutching, the bikes whole life, and yes there was lots of drag racing, but clutching the shifts.

only clutch sometimes in first, bike has been tore down from a blown engine, tranny is is mint conditon.

I have 20,000 miles on my 06 without using the clutch after I start moving, I do use it on down shifting. Running strong:thumbsup:

One of my bikes has a dynojet quick shifter on it. It serves the purpose of cutting the engine out when i apply pressure to the shifter so i can shift without the clutch. I dont think clutchless shifting can cause a problem. All it can do is wear the gear teeth down if not done properly.

Same here. Mine's an '05.

Back