1000cc to Busa??

I just traded in my 06 R1 on a 09 Busa. I absolutely loved the R1, but I wanted something that would be a little better for doing distance. The Busa is noticeably heavier, but still handles as well as I need it to. The power is linear, The R1 was a little soft until 7-8k rpm, then pulled like mad. The Busa just pulls hard everywhere.
On a well surfaced highway, I hardly know its even turned on its so smooth and vibe free. Better wind protection, more low rpm power, more room for luggage and a passenger, and effortless power.
In my 13 years of riding, I never had a speeding ticket until I got the Busa. Then I had one within a month. Oops. Amazing machine.

I did the same thing as you, from an 05' blade.

Get rid of the entire stock exhaust ASAP because it's 48lbs on it's own!

Something no-one else seemed to mention was how stretched out it is, and to my physiology, it isn't as comfy as a litre bike because your back feels like it's under more strain. So my first mod over $50 will be convertibars.

Regarding power, you already know the torque punch is giant, so you can expect to have fun on your way up to warp speed :)

Last edited:
I did the same thing as you, from an 05' blade.

Get rid of the entire stock exhaust ASAP because it's 48lbs on it's own!

Something no-one else seemed to mention was how stretched out it is, and to my physiology, it isn't as comfy as a litre bike because your back feels like it's under more strain. So my first mod over $50 will be convertibars.

Regarding power, you already know the torque punch is giant, so you can expect to have fun on your way up to warp speed :)

Yeah, I had to add 1" bar risers and a Corbin seat before my back could handle the Gen2. I'm begining to prefer the 08/09 GSXR1000 for everything except ridin a passenger. Still love the Busa though.

What I like about the liter bikes is having the bars in closer, the Busa wants to stretch you out more forward. I never rode a real far distance on a 600/1000 (100 miles tops), but I didn't find them to be that uncomfortable, JMO.

The statement that the Busa can't turn/handle in the twisty's is not true, but it does take more work, But it's NOT GOING TO BE YOUR R-1.

The Bus does shine riding 2-up !! And any gear, at almost any rpm it will pull like he11 !!

just a question, a few people refered to liter bikes like the busa is not! and as far as handeling I ride good and it handles very good but a friend of mine has a 2004 and he leads the ride and when somebody on a 600, 750, 1000 goes past us he chases it down and passes it in turns he is a great ridder. so the bike will turn if you can... the bike is only as good as its rider

Last edited:
That will help alot. I sat on a stock 08 and one right next to it with the Yoshi exhaust and it felt 50lbs lighter.

As for Gen I or II. I fit the Gen I so well, I had to have it. I would have liked buying a brand new bike, but Gen II is not as comfortable to me.

The Gen II also has the gear indicator and doesent need the "fast idle" lever.

Good luck.

just get new exhaust, mine lost 48 pounds. i do not no why you care about weight. planning on pushing it? did not make men in your day. just kidding.

Personally I love my Busa, but with the way 1L bikes are advancing, I think (IMHO) it may be close to the end of it's life cycle. When it was launched it was the speed king.

1.) It's no longer the fastest, the 1L bikes are overtaking it.
2.) It's too heavy for the track, the lighter bikes will post better times.
3.) It's not really a sport touring bike, as you can't tour at Busa speeds and there are more comfortable bikes to tour with.
4.) While it's much better for 2up compared to a 1L bike, there are much better bikes for riding 2up with. Also you don't want to ride 2up at 180m/hr.

In short, it does a lot of things well and in combination better than any other bike out there. But it is no longer best at any one of those things it does well.

I have only driven a 2002 Busa one time while I owned my 02 GSX-R1000 and quite frankly it felt very heavy at that time

How the bike is set up can drasticly affect the way it feels. Being lowered, on a larger tire and being stretched out will all make the busa feel even larger than it already is.

I think the busa handles really well for a 500+lb motorcycle and it will easily handle anything you should be throwing at it on public roads. The biggest negative handling traits that I notice when riding are the width of the motorcycle takes away available lean angle and the added weight makes it a little bit easier to overwhelm the front tire in various types of situations. The extra weight will also make transitioning through a series of turns more difficult.

Unless you’re one of those guys who treats back roads like a race track I think you'll get just what you’re looking for out of a Hayabusa.

Personally I love my Busa, but with the way 1L bikes are advancing, I think (IMHO) it may be close to the end of it's life cycle. When it was launched it was the speed king.

1.) It's no longer the fastest, the 1L bikes are overtaking it.
2.) It's too heavy for the track, the lighter bikes will post better times.
3.) It's not really a sport touring bike, as you can't tour at Busa speeds and there are more comfortable bikes to tour with.
4.) While it's much better for 2up compared to a 1L bike, there are much better bikes for riding 2up with. Also you don't want to ride 2up at 180m/hr.

In short, it does a lot of things well and in combination better than any other bike out there. But it is no longer best at any one of those things it does well.

Interesting post Jellyrug....good explanation. And yes, it is no longer the fastest although even the mighty Beemer can't hold a candle to the load of Tq that a Busa or ZX-14 are putting out. The thing I think I miss is the low rpm power my 06 GSX-R1000 had and that I know the Busa has as well. On the R1 (and she's a screamer...especially w/ a full Akro) is that from 3-7K rpm, it feels like a 600, then all hell breaks loose to redline. The rush is amazing but yet I def miss being in any gear and just zapping traffic. Guess I just need to see if I could demo one.

Interesting post Jellyrug....good explanation. And yes, it is no longer the fastest although even the mighty Beemer can't hold a candle to the load of Tq that a Busa or ZX-14 are putting out. The thing I think I miss is the low rpm power my 06 GSX-R1000 had and that I know the Busa has as well. On the R1 (and she's a screamer...especially w/ a full Akro) is that from 3-7K rpm, it feels like a 600, then all hell breaks loose to redline. The rush is amazing but yet I def miss being in any gear and just zapping traffic. Guess I just need to see if I could demo one.

LOL, above 12,000 RPM I'm always scared something will come flying through the seat, hit me where it really hurts and change the pitch tone of my voice forever. :laugh:

I am 33 and rode liter bikes for the past 10 years. However as I got older the liter bikes became more and more uncomfortable, my wrist, knees and other things would ache after ridding short distances. Decided to give the busa a try seeing that it was better suited for me, power + comfort. I love it. Now I feel like i'm 20 again and learning to push the busa to its limits. It's different from a 1000 but in a good way.

My son has an 07 gsxr 1000 and I have an 08 Busa. We swap out rides every now and then and I can say. I'll deal with the weight difference to get the more comfortable ride anyday. Sure, the 600s and 1000s handle easier but they make my butt hurt cause I'm old.:laugh:

Aw what the hell, let me stir...

Why don't you compromise and get a Blackbird! The Busa takes it in a fight, but it's more comfortable and I'd bet money that it's less likely to leave you on the side of the road!

busa2.jpg

just a question, a few people refered to liter bikes like the busa is not! and as far as handeling I ride good and it handles very good but a friend of mine has a 2004 and he leads the ride and when somebody on a 600, 750, 1000 goes past us he chases it down and passes it in turns he is a great ridder. so the bike will turn if you can... the bike is only as good as its rider

That is totally true, BUT put that same rider (guy from your rides) on a liter (1000) bike, and he would be faster. JMO

I also had an R1---and do have a V-Rod Muscle as well.

The Busa is a great bike, but the one thing you should know is that it is NOT a corner-carver. Yes, there are people who can (like myself) but you really need to be on your game and have some track experience behind you. Trying to keep up with a pack of superbikes through twisty canyon roads probably isn't going to happen. The big reason is the weight of the bike. Going into turns "too hot" is very easy since you'll be coming off of the straights probably doing Mach II.

For crusing and highway the Busa is King !!! If you want a nimble corner carver to chase 1098s and BMW 1000RRs through twisty mountain roads then look elsewhere.

Watch for my post about the Busa Ownership Experience---I'll go into this all for you. I just sold my Busa and have lots of good things to say.

With my 07 GSXR1k, being in the shop I've been riding my Hayabusa exclusively for the past few weeks. I went to pick up my 1k from the shop yesterday, and riding it just didn't feel right. It wasn't the riding position that bothered me. Instantly I thought they turned the idle down, because it felt lifeless when easing away from a stop. I determined it was a difference in the two clutches.

Once I got on the highway, I was able to remember how to ride this bike- rev'it! Once the RPMs got up, it felt familiar. I got a chance to get on it while on the highway, this bike felt downright flaccid in comparison to the bike I've been on for weeks- the Busa. When going WOT on the 1k, I was waiting for the bike to propel me into time like the Busa, but it never happened. Sure, it was fast, but it wasn't Busa fast.

However, on the Busa I feel like while going WOT, time moves backwards. When riding the Busa the only thing I see is the blurs occuring right outside my peripheral vision. What is front of me now, seemingly becomes a memory from days ago. Riding the two bikes back to back, this never happens on the 1k. It wheelies at will- drawing many thumbs up and stares from the children. But you never get the same thrill of topend acceleration. However, to be fair the Busa does feel dead, unless you're going WOT above 80 mph or so.

My buddy says I look like I'm having more fun riding the 1k- more wheelies, more speed coming into turns. However, when I ride the Busa it blows my mind with its high speed acceleration. It reminds me of when I first started riding, and how my mind/eyes had to get used to the acceleration of riding a sportbike (my old GSXR 600). In this way, the Busa makes you feel like a new rider.

When you're on a Busa, everywhere you go, people wanna talk to you about your bike. I was surprised by how many sportbikers were intrigued by my boring, stock Busa at a recent Ruff Ryders ride. The other day, I went to Autozone and received the same kind of attention from guys who know nothing about motorcycles. This doesn't happen on my 1k. Law enforcement also looks at the Hayabusa with less disdain, more respect, as though Busa riders don't violate any traffic laws :rofl:

Just when I think I know which one I like more, something keeps me from really making up my mind. I don't see wanting another bike. I'm glad I've got them both.

If we're honest, we know the speed aspect of performance is what appeals to us as sportbike riders. This being the case, anyone who puts a leg over a Busa and says they didn't like riding it, is lying

-AJ

I had a 2004 r1 and now I got a 08 Busa. I can't go back. As a matter of fact I'm about to ride out right now. Get the busa. You won't regret it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back